C&R Limit on Sales???

I was down at the club shooting a little trap the other day and was chatting with a guy who has had his C&R for 9 years. To my surprise, he told me that a C&R holder is prohibited from selling more than 3 C&R guns a year.

This took me by surprise. I know that a C&R license is NOT for doing business and that regularly engaging in buying and selling can get a C&R holder into hot water with BATFE, but I didn't think there was any particular set limit on the number of times per year that you could sell a C&R gun. He swears that there is and that the number is three (shades of the holy hand grenade [smile]). Anyhow, is this guy right?

There is no written regulation on sales except that it maybe done to enhance your collection, but not for profit as a 'business'. I just got my C&R and that's what I read in all the stuff that was sent me.

It's weird what people think about C&R's. I know one dealer who insists that if the gun is not listed in the AFT C&R listing, that it is not a C&R.

He refuses to accept the 50 year part of the definition.

I go by the Massachusetts 4 per year sale. Besides, when you renew your C&R they ask how many guns you bought and how many have you sold. The fact that the buying wayyy overshadows the selling, I don't see an audit in my future.

Massachusetts doesn't recognize a c&r license...so, you're just like everyone else and limited to 4 sales/transfer a year.

Mike, not exactly true.

A C&R FFL holder can sell his C&R guns to another C&R FFL holder from out of state and deliver/ship direct (without involving an FFL Dealer) and thus sell more than 4/year. [In this case, as far as MA is concerned you will still own those guns forever, as they don't recognize the C&R FFL and never "take a gun off the books anyway".]

Back
Top Bottom