C&R FFL in MA

i tried a search but couldn't find much.

has anyone experienced difficulty in getting their C&R?
i know the CLEO cant do much, but what CAN they do to stop/delay it?

when im informing my CLEO should i include my FID and LTC numbers?

my chief will give out Class A unrestricted LTC's but from what i hear wont sign SBR papers so im just concerned as to what he can do.

C&R licenses are 'shall issue'. The only thing your local CLEO can do is give evidence to ATF that you are statutorily disqualified from receiving a C&R. If you are in fact statutorily disqualified, ATF probably doesn't need your CLEO's help to find that out.

BTW, no separate note is required to the CLEO when you get your C&R. The CLEO is informed when you send them the copy of the C&R application as is described in the instructions that come with the form.

Last edited:
Fill out your papers, mail in your check and send a note to your CLEO informing him you have your C&R. Also, if you want a legit ATF-approved SBR, there are ways around your chief....

ya i know i could go around him by forming a trust, and other ways. just concerned me that he gives away Class A's but wont sign a SBR.

C&R licenses are 'shall issue'. The only thing your local CLEO can do is give evidence to ATF that you are statutorily disqualified from receiving a C&R. If you are in fact statutorily disqualified, ATF probably doesn't need your CLEO's help to find that out.

BTW, no separate note is required to the CLEO when you get your C&R. The CLEO is informed when you send them the copy of the C&R application as is described in the instructions that come with the form.

ok, i just want to make sure he wont try to pull out some random law or something.

i know i dont NEED to write a note, but i feel like i should atleast as a cover letter kinda explaining why hes getting a random piece of paper from me. basically my note says " i hold both an LTC and FID, i know MA and Federal laws in regards to firearms and will follow those laws"

should i just not bother with the note?

one-eyed Jack said:
Obtain and read the Fed. regs before Scrivner rides your ass! Jack.

i will, and you will know im reading it because il be on here with 4x the questions. man i hate reading laws.

should i just not bother with the note?

It's not necessary, but it's always polite to include a cover letter when corresponding with someone. I wrote a cover letter when I sent my C&R application to my chief, but I didn't use it to rationalize my application. I thanked him for some help he'd provided me recently and mentioned that I'd bought a SW1911 since I'd been discussing it with him as a potential purchase to see what he thought about it. Then I finally said the real reason I was corresponding was because of the enclosed C&R app. Anyway, my chief is very pro-gun and accessible. But my main point is, yes I'd include a cover letter to be polite, but no I wouldn't use it to explain myself to him.

It's not necessary, but it's always polite to include a cover letter when corresponding with someone.... But my main point is, yes I'd include a cover letter to be polite, but no I wouldn't use it to explain myself to him.

ok. my app is going out today.

Send a note. I didn't, and they were all confused over what they were suposed to do. Just inform them that the copy is ther required notification to them as required by BATFE, and no action is needed on their part.

Chief XXX

Please find attached a copy my application for a Type 03 Federal Firearms License: Collector of Curios and Relics, with the BATFE. This notification serves to fulfill Federal law in regards to notification of the chief law enforcement officer of such an application. No action is required on your part. Please feel free to contact me at the number below if you have any questions.

Sincerely,
Capt. Walt.

its sent.

i just said that im applying for a 03 FFL. that its not a dealers FFL. i said that i hold a valid FID and LTC and that no action or reply is required on his part

of course in fancier language. i then thanked him for his time, and service tot he community

i know i dont NEED to write a note, but i feel like i should atleast as a cover letter kinda explaining why hes getting a random piece of paper from me.
Why bother? It says right on the app that a copy is to go to the CLEO. Done.

I didn't, and while talking with the licensing officer a few weeks later about something else (whether or not I should apply for green card, if you're curious), he mentioned that he'd seen my C&R app. So obviously, they do know what to do with them.

When I applied for my C&R, I sent a copy of the form along with a brief letter stating that the chief need not do anything besides contacting the ATF if he had any reason to believe I was not a suitable applicant.

The chief just sent it back to me with no questions asked.

A related story: I was in NJ this weekend for a friend's bachelor party.(anyone else here feel completely naked when visiting a city in another state unarmed?) I got to talking guns with a NJ detective who was a family member of the bride-to-be. I showed him my C&R and he said I'm the first person he's met that has such a license. We talked for a while about gun laws in our respective states. MA may be hell on gun owners, but damn I'm glad I don't live in Jersey!

MA may be hell on gun owners, but damn I'm glad I don't live in Jersey!
You should be; my best friend got a C&R in NJ. As part of the process, he got a PERSONAL visit from an ATF guy, who informed him that in NJ, he could NOT get C&R guns shipped to him directly, but that he had to go through an 01 FFL for them. NJ law is apparently written that EVERY GUN must be acquired through a dealer. I don't know if that means that FTF transactions are verboten or not, though - maybe it's just for out of state purchases.

MA sucks, but it could be worse. I could still be in Jersey.

You're right Dwarven, it could be worse. It's just rediculous that I can't get my hands on a Ruger LCP, Rohrbaugh, or a Walther PPS. (Anyone moving to our state soon that has one of these and wants to part with it? [grin]) I'm glad I got my C&R but it does nothing for my desire of these recently produced guns.

I can have a semi-auto AK variant with a 75-round drum magazine, but not a puny little 9mm that holds 8 rounds!!

Wait, did I just try to make sense of MA gun laws? hahaha!! silly me.

I just used a yellow highlighter marker to go over the area on the form which says that they need to do nothing.

There was no need for this, but when someone doesn't read much, it's best to spell it out for them.

Didn't have any problem getting mine.

As most have said, I just sent the app. with the part about no action required on his part highlighted and called it a day.

On that note, anyone have any experience getting a MG license in Lynn?

Back
Top Bottom