• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

C&R pistol needs advice

I recently bought a Polish p64 from xxxxxxx and shipped to a local FFL. I don't have C&R license but I think a FFL will make it through. But when the pistol came, the FFL called me and said he don't have C&R license either and could not transfer it to me. I somehow feel it strange. With my LTC license I could get a modern pistol without any problem.Why can't a C&R pistol? Is that any law require a FFL must have c&r license to transfer c&r firearms?

Now the pistol is in the local FFL. Buying a firearm in MA is already tiresome enough.I would like to know if any one had been in the similar situation and how to deal with it.

Last edited by a moderator:
A FFL can't transfer you a pistol on an FA-10 unless it is on the EOPS list. The P64 is not on the EOPS list, so the FFL can't transfer it to you via FA-10. The FFL might be able to transfer the pistol to you if you had a C&R license. Since you don't have a C&R License, you have basically two options. You can arrange with Classic to send the gun back to them, and ask the FFL you sent it to to send it back. The other option is to sell it to someone, and pay your FFL to mail it to them. A third possible option is to apply for a C&R FFL and see if you can get your FFL to transfer it to you. The moral of the story is check with your FFL first before you transfer something in. There are many modern pistols that some FFL won't transfer due to the EOPS list and the AG regulations.

As a C&R license holder are you entitled to have the gun sent directly to your residence? File an FA-10 and you're done (and of course log it into your book).

If you got your C&R yourself, you could have had the P64 (which is a "modern" pistol) delivered to your home. Then you file an EFA10 to cover yourself under MGL. You must report any "transaction" even when you acquire the gun out of state- don't list where you got it on the efa10. The first response was dead on- never do anything in MA without asking the FFL first because the laws are so convoluted. You are going to end up dropping a few dollars and getting nothing out of it unless you get a C&R to pick your gun up.

sorry I was redundant- just saw the above post

This is precisely why I got my C&R. I made an online purchase of a revolver made in 1916, the caliber of which was obsolete even before it was built, and with unobtainable ammo... Naturally, it was therefore not transferable in MA. Too many drug dealers in Roxbury using .455 Webleys these days, I guess.

The 03 FFL took me three months to get approved, during which the seller graciously held on to it for me.

The 03 is the best deal, dollar for dollar, that interstate firearms purchasers can get. Especially in MA.

This is precisely why I got my C&R. I made an online purchase of a revolver made in 1916, the caliber of which was obsolete even before it was built, and with unobtainable ammo... Naturally, it was therefore not transferable in MA. Too many drug dealers in Roxbury using .455 Webleys these days, I guess.

The 03 FFL took me three months to get approved, during which the seller graciously held on to it for me.

The 03 is the best deal, dollar for dollar, that interstate firearms purchasers can get. Especially in MA.
Off topic - didn't 455 webley remain the service sidearm round of the UK through the end of wwii?

Off topic - didn't 455 webley remain the service sidearm round of the UK through the end of wwii?

Not really. There were still plenty of .455s in service through WWII, but they were surplus. Officially, the .38/200 became the " official " round c. 1922. Remember, the 455 had been in service since the black powder era. So had the .303, but still...

Back
Top Bottom