Buying First Gun

I have never bought a gun before and had a few questions about what usually goes down in the store.
How negotiable are prices?
Are price negotiations different on used vs new guns?
Can you usually get money off for cash (If so how much)?
Do you have to pay sales tax (e.g. If a gun is listed on a website for $500 will the final price be +5(?)%

Any other info you could provide would be helpful as well.

Hey Malcolm,

Buying your first is quite an experience. Research and price compare. Try to get out and see if you can test drive a couple models your interested in... Manchester Firing Line, Local Range or Club... even post on the board and see if a local member has something your interested in shooting before buying at a store and see if you can make it worth a trip to the range for him/her.

Used guns are more likely to be haggled down.. although some things on consignment you will have to wait so the store can ask the seller if its reasonable. Don't go in looking to have them drop the price to your # unless you can reason with them why.

New guns your looking to just get a competitive price - see if they will price match if your local store is a bit more then another shop that you would have to drive to.

Cash is King

Expect to pay sales tax

Enjoy good luck!

Stores like Four Seasons do charge less if you pay cash.

When you do go to buy, there's nothing that stops you from asking if there's any wiggle room in the price. Just ask if what's marked is the best they can do.

And yes, you will pay tax on the price of the gun. Hey, Deval ain't proud; he'll steal from anyone who's got the greenbacks.

From talking to Carl at Four Seasons and the owner of Blue Northern, I don't think the dealers have a big margin on guns. You can probably do better if you buy accesories with the gun at the time of purchase.

Also, you pay tax on all of it except for gun safes and trigger locks.

Just a quick suggestion here. Depending on your level of knowledge about guns in general and about prices specifically I would suggest the following.

Have a good idea of what you want before you go into the store (assuming you intend on buying). It is very easy to get sidetracked from what you have decided to get. Also, do not be in a rush to buy the first thing you see. Take a pen and paper, write down what you see and prices. Or better look at their sites before going in.

Also, you will probably realize after buying the first gun that regardless of what you thought going in that you made the wrong choice and you overpaid. I would suggest buying something not too expensive as you will lose less money selling or trading it off. The first time(s) through is a learning experience and it's the price of an education.

And lastly. There are a LOT of goodies for sale in the classified section. find something you like, grab a knowledgable freind and go have a look at it (of course with the intention that if all looks good you are going to buy it). I would suggest NOT tying up somebody, an individual seller, to go to merely " just look" without the good possibility of buying. That is unless, of course, you tell them specifically on the front end what your situation is and that you will probably NOT be buying on that trip. let the seller make the call at that point.

And finally, hook up with as many people as possible, shoot as many guns as you can and get a feel for what you think you like. Even then, realize you will probably make the wrong choice first time around. Only lots of shooting lots of different guns for a long period will give you an understanding of what guns you like and what really works for you.

I'd say I'm decently experienced when it comes to guns just not experienced on my own. I've always had more fun shooting the AR-15/AK-47 types rather than pistols. So I'd like to see if I can find a decently cheap AK-47 style rifle. I really like the WASR-10's but it seems like they have gotten pretty rare / expensive lately or maybe I'm just looking in the wrong place. Used Mak90s still look pretty cheap but I can't stand the look of the thumbhole stock and converting one to pistol grip seems like a pain with the imported parts limit. Any suggestions on a AK style rifle?

zero hour has quite a few aks.. I would start there.
Sorry if I made the leap and assumed very limited experience.

But pistols or rifles are like clothes. what fits me and I think is great will not fit anybody else..

From talking to Carl at Four Seasons and the owner of Blue Northern, I don't think the dealers have a big margin on guns. You can probably do better if you buy accesories with the gun at the time of purchase.

Also, you pay tax on all of it except for gun safes and trigger locks.

Absolutely true; the margin on guns themselves is - well, marginal. The dealers would starve if that were the major income stream for a store. Look at MSRP on an M&P, then the actual selling price; it's about $650/$500.

The income is derived from all the other things one purchases to go with the new gun; ammo, cleaning equipment and supplies, holsters, targets, etc. If you reload, it could be dies, bullets and powder.

Presents for your new love!

I'd say I'm decently experienced when it comes to guns just not experienced on my own. I've always had more fun shooting the AR-15/AK-47 types rather than pistols. So I'd like to see if I can find a decently cheap AK-47 style rifle. I really like the WASR-10's but it seems like they have gotten pretty rare / expensive lately or maybe I'm just looking in the wrong place. Used Mak90s still look pretty cheap but I can't stand the look of the thumbhole stock and converting one to pistol grip seems like a pain with the imported parts limit. Any suggestions on a AK style rifle?

wasr10's have just recently resurfaced in some stores. expect to pay about $480-$500 for one. their not as cheap as they used to be.

If you are planning to buy in NH you may want to check out Riley's in Hooksett, Lewis Arms in Bow (Concord), & Skip's in Bristol. Never had any problems with any of them. All have extensive assortments of new/used, as well as ammo & accessories.

Back
Top Bottom