Buying firearm in NH, live between 2 states

Hello everyone.

I have 2 addresses. NYC and NH. I have a NH DL. I work in NYC and have an apartment there. But I am working remotely and moved in with my parents during the pandemic. Can I buy a handgun if I keep it in NH and never bring it out of state?

The gun shop is telling me yes, as long as I have an NH license I’m fine.

Thanks

Simple answer - you are a bona-fide NH resident. Unless you say something that changes it nothing is left to question.

You can bring it out of state just depends on which state. MA & NY have STRICT gun laws and permit requirements, so generally NO.. Maine and Vermont generally yes but familiarize yourself with a states carry, transport, and storage laws before you do.

Never give up your NH Residency. You’re a resident based on your DL, and you have mail delivered there/pay rent, correct? Then that’s your residence the day you pick up your firearms for the sake of processing the 4473.
I don’t know what the process is for a NY state non res permit, but that could also be a an option to look into, along with a NYC permit (yeah you can stop laughing). That way, you can legally possess your firearm outside of NH if you do desire.

Can’t wait until Tuesday to get my N.H. DL. I was waiting to get my car registered first to help with the REAL ID for my wife, but town hall is dragging its feet. When I called the RMV, they didn’t seem to want to give me an appointment, until I told them I needed it for my hunting and fishing licenses. They set my appt and said my wife can and plates can wait till the Corona is over, the 69 day thing isn’t being applied.
Hour drive to get the DL, then to the local gun store to pick up my new Rossi 92. The FFL said it could be weird if my address is one place and my MA DL is another. I can wait, Ive gone through so much in MA I’m excited to break all ties and have only N.H. on my 4473.

Besides, I’m trying to get in good so I can find a couple “local only” shooting pits. I figure dropping money in his store on a rifle, ammo, licenses, lures, etc will get me in the good guy category faster than being a jackass with effed up paperwork.

Can’t wait until Tuesday to get my N.H. DL. I was waiting to get my car registered first to help with the REAL ID for my wife, but town hall is dragging its feet. When I called the RMV, they didn’t seem to want to give me an appointment, until I told them I needed it for my hunting and fishing licenses. They set my appt and said my wife can and plates can wait till the Corona is over, the 69 day thing isn’t being applied.
Hour drive to get the DL, then to the local gun store to pick up my new Rossi 92. The FFL said it could be weird if my address is one place and my MA DL is another. I can wait, Ive gone through so much in MA I’m excited to break all ties and have only N.H. on my 4473.

Besides, I’m trying to get in good so I can find a couple “local only” shooting pits. I figure dropping money in his store on a rifle, ammo, licenses, lures, etc will get me in the good guy category faster than being a jackass with effed up paperwork.
Congrats but just be sure that the temporary DL they give you will be acceptable to the dealer. Some won't take them as ID. Welcome to Free America!!

I’m pretty sure he will. We talked earlier in the week when the gun cane in and yesterday when I bought some lures he asked about the appointment. When I said it was Tuesday he said “see you then”.

Back
Top Bottom