Buying Ammo from your Buddy? You're going to jail!

It all applies to businesses...... The words "no person shall" is used because the licenses are issued to the "persons".

You can stress about it all you want but when you read the entire firearms laws it is pretty clear to me that it applies to businesses.

I have been wrong/surprised before...... Though

As have I. [grin]

Just as an example, section 131 ("Licenses to carry firearms; Class A and B; conditions and restrictions") is also included under Chapter 140. It would be awesome if that section didn't apply to individuals but I think it's pretty clear that it does. (Unfortunately.)

Last edited:
As have I. [grin]

Still, section 131 ("Licenses to carry firearms; Class A and B; conditions and restrictions") is also included under Chapter 140. It would be awesome if that section didn't apply to individuals but I think it's pretty clear that it does. (Unfortunately.)

Agreed.... I know I stated the whole chapter of 140 which may have been an overstatement.... Particularly I meant Sections 122,122A,122B and 123

Things will be different when I pass the bar! [wink]

Last edited:
Nope. It is still in pre-trial chugging along. These things don't move quickly.

Of course not... how can the DAs bankrupt their victims and force them to cop a guilty plea otherwise?
oops.gif

Of course not... how can the DAs bankrupt their victims and force them to cop a guilty plea otherwise?
oops.gif

It's sometimes in the defendants best interest to go slow. The state is obligated to conduct a speedy trial (90 days) but the defendant is not obligated to take the speedy trial route and can delay as long as they want (within some bounds, it's not indefinite).

It's sometimes in the defendants best interest to go slow. The state is obligated to conduct a speedy trial (90 days) but the defendant is not obligated to take the speedy trial route and can delay as long as they want (within some bounds, it's not indefinite).

Unfortunately, I've seen it applied the other way. Friend of mine has a record because the DA basically bankrupted her (and her mother who was helping with the lawyers' fees) by dragging the case out.

Unfortunately, I've seen it applied the other way. Friend of mine has a record because the DA basically bankrupted her (and her mother who was helping with the lawyers' fees) by dragging the case out.

Not doubting it. But I wonder how complicit the attorney was in that (dragging it out to run up the bill). The DA has limited tools to drag something out. Usually the attorney for the defendant can force a trial very quickly if need be.

Last edited:
if i get ammo from someone, i'm not paying for ammo but for their time. if two consenting adults then decide to trade ammo, well then that's our business. [wink]

Silly subjects !

The above quote was stated by one of the prosecutors during the aftermath of the Westfield incident.
You forget Massachusetts laws define what law abiding citizens may do.

In free states laws define criminal acts.

Same article also has:
Massachusetts law allows a child to fire a gun with parental consent, so long as there's an active permit for the gun...
Now we have to get permits for our guns. [rolleyes]

I attempted to get an Ammo Dealer's license, ("Just take an LTC application, and scratch out LTC, and write in ammunition dealer"), and was denied as I don't have a business.

it's illegal to wear a goatee in the commonwealth without a license also....
i wrote the statehouse asking where i go to obtain a license for a goatee,
the reply i got back was that the law is not enforced and there is no issuing authority...

selective law enforcement FTW!

Care to cite some MGL? [wink]

i'm looking for it.... haven't found it yet, did find this though:

General Laws
PART IV CRIMES, PUNISHMENTS AND PROCEEDINGS IN CRIMINAL CASES
(Chapters 263 through 280)
TITLE I CRIMES AND PUNISHMENTS
CHAPTER 272 CRIMES AGAINST CHASTITY, MORALITY, DECENCY AND GOOD ORDER
Section 36 Blasphemy

Section 36. Whoever wilfully blasphemes the holy name of God by denying, cursing or contumeliously reproaching God, his creation, government or final judging of the world, or by cursing or contumeliously reproaching Jesus Christ or the Holy Ghost, or by cursing or contumeliously reproaching or exposing to contempt and ridicule, the holy word of God contained in the holy scriptures shall be punished by imprisonment in jail for not more than one year or by a fine of not more than three hundred dollars, and may also be bound to good behavior.

ETA:

308317_2417132081998_1662250193_2360499_165671604_n.jpg

Last edited:
I caught a story on the news a few days back about centuries old laws still on the books. Most were bizarre.

An attorney general (forget his name or state) argued that we WANT these laws on the books because they provide prosecutors with options when they are looking for ways to charge suspected criminals.

No lie. I'm convinced that this principle is a cornerstone of MA law.

Blatantly Wrong!!

Under C140-121 the definition of a "gunsmith" is - any person engaged in the Business of repairing..... Etc...

wow.....take a pill buddy,

This is Ma. we are talking about. If they want to bust you they will, so you can quote C140-121 all you want. Its just like LEO asking for letters of reference when you apply for a LTC.. This state will do anything to folks in the name of "the law" It costs them nothing. It costs the poor folks who they want to bust their you know what a ton in legal fees to prove otherwise.

I guess with a user name like half cocked I should expect a response like "Blatantly wrong" .

On another note why don't you cough up the 20 bucks and become a member of NES and support this forum. Or better yet donate to Comm2A so folks like Chris wont have to worry about selling a few boxes of ammo.
Gezzzzzz

And in other news, Porky Pig just did a flyby of the Hancock Tower...

Really? MA repealed a law because it was outdated?
shocked.gif
applaud.gif

Some, not all and the ones they repealed were the really bad unenforceable ones. There is still a lot of stupidity in there.

So if a buddy and I decide to split 1000 rounds of ammo, and I happen to be the one picking it up, I would be breaking the law by bringing it to him and collecting the predetermined amount of money for the ammo?

The completely legal, no gray area way to do this is to meet for coffee or dinner over the state line. Do the transaction there.

There are no interstate laws regarding common ammunition. There are no laws in MA regarding bringing ammunition into the state for personal use.

A side issue here is that some ammunition dealers won't sell into MA. It's good to have a NH resident buddy to split bulk purchases with.

--jcr

Presumably all of this discussion applies equally to ammunition components.

Components are "ammunition" according to the definition in the MGL. (As is pepper spray.)

Back
Top Bottom