Buying Ammo from your Buddy? You're going to jail!

wow.....take a pill buddy,

This is Ma. we are talking about. If they want to bust you they will, so you can quote C140-121 all you want. Its just like LEO asking for letters of reference when you apply for a LTC.. This state will do anything to folks in the name of "the law" It costs them nothing. It costs the poor folks who they want to bust their you know what a ton in legal fees to prove otherwise.

I guess with a user name like half cocked I should expect a response like "Blatantly wrong" .

On another note why don't you cough up the 20 bucks and become a member of NES and support this forum. Or better yet donate to Comm2A so folks like Chris wont have to worry about selling a few boxes of ammo.
Gezzzzzz

Sorry o Jedi Master of the criminal justice system.... I did not know that you were such an expert.... I will take a back seat and let people post misinformation......[thinking]

It all applies to businesses...... The words "no person shall" is used because the licenses are issued to the "persons".

You can stress about it all you want but when you read the entire firearms laws it is pretty clear to me that it applies to businesses.

I have been wrong/surprised before...... Though

I would disagree, based on the conviction of Ben Seay (Comm. v. Seay, 376 Mass. 735 (1978)).

The defendant was convicted of...selling ammunition for a firearm. See G. L. c. 140, Sections 122B...

Sorry o Jedi Master of the criminal justice system.... I did not know that you were such an expert.... I will take a back seat and let people post misinformation......[thinking]

I was simply restating what a LEO said during a training class what some people consider gunsmith. Not everyone walks around with a law book under their arm. I will gladly admit if I am in error but when folks use words like "Blatantly Wrong!!" I do not think nor have the desire to be considered an "expert".

I noticed you completely ignored the part of my post of joining the forum to help support the site, and or donating to Comm2A.

Websters dictionary "Half Cocked" : lacking adequate preparation or forethought <go off half–cocked> just slow down buddy, this is a discussion, not a law class.[horse]

Last edited:
Seems to me that the intent of the law is to require people who do not otherwise have a firearms license to sell ammo. If you look at the law many of the same disqualifications for selling ammo are the same disqualifications for obtaining a LTC. The case law cited notes that the person did not have a license to carry or a license to sell ammo so he was charged with both crimes.

I could make an argument that the intent of the law is to prevent criminals and other unfit persons from selling ammo, but a person who has a valid LTC cannot be such person as they have the qualifications and are licensed to the extent the law requires. After all, your LTC allows you to buy, carry and sell a firearm doesn't it? Is it that far of a stretch to say the the LTC also applies the buy, carry and TRANSFER of ammo? See this MGL as well:

http://www.malegislature.gov/Laws/GeneralLaws/PartI/TitleXX/Chapter140/Section129C

That said, this argument outlined above should not be construed to be formal legal advice nor the formation of a lawyer/client relationship [wink]

Back
Top Bottom