• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Buying a gun, from your year of birth?

Andy, I have a nice model 29-2, Nickel, 4" P&R with non numbered target grips. With the ammo it's worth about $800 to me. The picture shows it with rubber grips. It's in great condition, and is very accurate.

CIMG1837.jpg

Roy Jinks from S&W said it shipped in May of 1974. Got anything good you want to trade for it. I have about $100 worth of Primo-ammo for this gun and some WW Box.

Andy, I have a nice model 29-2, Nickel, 4" P&R with non numbered target grips. With the ammo it's worth about $800 to me. The picture shows it with rubber grips. It's in great condition, and is very accurate.

CIMG1837.jpg

Roy Jinks from S&W said it shipped in May of 1974. Got anything good you want to trade for it. I have about $100 worth of Primo-ammo for this gun and some WW Box.

That is sweet! Picture is the same. [wink]

Wouldn't you know it, but I have the exact same model 29-2 in nickel from 1972. Mine might be in better condition than Depicts (absolutely no disrespect intended) because it only has 12 rounds through it. It also has the factory wooden target stocks. He looks to be a better shot than me though.

Andy- the only .357 I have from 1974 is a tougher than nails shooter S&W 28-2 Highway Patrolman that will be the last gun I ever let go of. It is my favorite handgun.

Alfred- I may have some other stuff for you if you were born in 1970-1971.

I think I have too many revolvers.....

Depicts, Wouldn't happen to have anything from '72 would you? [wink]

That is an awesome 44. Heck, I'll trade you for it if he doesn't....

The only new gun I can find on the internet that was widely produced in 1964 was the S&W Model 57 in 41 Magnum.

For all that this caliber was dismissed early by PDs as being "too much recoil," I actually recommend it to all my classes as an appropriate SD round.

It's significantly less recoil than the .44 Mag, less over-penetration and one Hell of a man-stopper.

FWIW,, I list ALL of the calibers below as "acceptable defensive calibers":

.380ACP in +p
9mm HP in +p
.38 HP in +p
.357 Sig. HP
.357 Magnum HP
.40 cal HP
.10 mm HP
.41 Mag HP
.45 Auto HP

I specifically leave out .22, 25 auto, .44 mag and S&W 500 for what should be obvious reasons.

Where not +p specifically I consider the basic load to be sufficient based on real-world police experience with the round in question.

.22 is clearly not enough (40 grains, non-hp at hoo-haa velocities) nor is .25 auto. the .44 and .500 are too MUCH in terms of over penetration (12-inches) and recoil for almost all shooters except Eddie Coyle and his disciples (which I aspire to). Smile EC.[smile]

I have two 98's made by Heym in 1960 when I was born.
One out of 80 made for the Dept. of Justice of the State of Hesse in pristine condition and
another one made for a jail in Lower Saxony in vg condition.

There are 1988 Izhvesk plum AK74 kits, 1983 Izhevsk Laminate ak74 kits, 1986 Tula AKSU kits, and various other romanian AKM kits that you can build up in accordance to your berthdae.

as per the OP, if you find a AK74, that is pretty straight shooting for a 1974 birthday- the "74" in AK74 stands for the year in which it was designed.

The whole "birthday game" has got me on the fence about dropping $650 for a Russian kit that I've been eyeing for about 2 years. And I hate it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom