• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Buy one rifle and one scope for SHTF. Your one survival rifle.

If I could own only rifle, and it couldn't be an AR, it would definitely be a lever action rifle in 44 magnum with iron sites. The money I saved on optics, I would spend on a 44 magnum revolver.

Both would be adequate for hunting most 4 legged game, and all 2 legged. The rifle is easily capable of reaching out to 250 yards or more.

A 308 bolt action rifle is great for long distance, but not nearly as handy as a good lever with irons for close targets

For a bolt gun, give me a Savage 110 with a Super Sniper FFP Scope and dip it in multicam. Done and I still have money for ammo.
so something like this?
http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/10PRECISIONCARBINE/

I am an unashamed fanboy of Savage rifles, especially the model 10PC and will pimp it at every opportunity. It is available in .223 and .308. I personally own both and love them. If I had to have only 1, I would keep the .308.
interesting i stumbled across this thread. I'm looking into buying a .308 and fell across the model 10PC. I'm assuming based off of your post that you're a fan of the rifle. any issues of complaints about this particular rifle?

do you mind if i ask where you purchased it? i'd like to try and see it in person instead of buying it online.

If I had to list a negative, it would be the seams on the stock. They can be sharp. There isn't really much to put down, hence me buying two of them. I bought the first one used and the .308 I special ordered from First Defense in Uxbridge.

so something like this?
http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/10PRECISIONCARBINE/

interesting i stumbled across this thread. I'm looking into buying a .308 and fell across the model 10PC. I'm assuming based off of your post that you're a fan of the rifle. any issues of complaints about this particular rifle?

do you mind if i ask where you purchased it? i'd like to try and see it in person instead of buying it online.

Lot's of love for Savage, haven't seen any for Remington, like the 700? Asking b/c I literally decided I needed one this week.

Any opinion Savage vs. Remington?

Lot's of love for Savage, haven't seen any for Remington, like the 700? Asking b/c I literally decided I needed one this week.

I've had this question for a while now. I've decided to go with the savage + accuaccessories as I've heard the Newer made 700's just aren't up to the same quality.

What's the situation with the mags for the Ruger scout? Are they proprietary, or does it take some other more common mags that might be available as prebans?

This is my take on the Savage vs. Remington battle. You get more for your money with Savage, and don't sacrifice quality. I would say that the Savage is better quality, but that would just start arguments. For example. The most recent Savage 10PC I bought cost $850. That includes a quality rifle with a threaded barrel, accustock (does not need upgrade), accutrigger (does not need upgrade), oversize bolt handle and safety, DETACHABLE BOX MAG (huge cost on the Remmy). If you wanted a 700 with all of those features, it would cost twice as much as the Savage.

As to "you have to have an AR" IMHO disagree. If you need a firearm that needs to survive a beating you don't want one with a gas tube that can corrode, its not like you are going to be able to go to Midway USA and buy parts. A bolt action is the way I would go. It is going to be used for self defense but more importantly hunting to feed yourself.

Yes 308 is heavier to carry than 556 but if you have a stash or multiple stashes you would be OK. Also the tried and true 30-06 is also a good round.

I have the Ruger scout and its a great rifle, short, light weight compared to other rifles. Also lever guns are also a good choice. if you want firepower try a Henry lever gun chambered in 45/70. It will knock down a frigging elephant. I also have savage rifles, they are a great buy and a well made rifle.

As to the 556 round remember if your hunting and hit the animal at close range and not in a critical area chances are the projectile will pass thru the game and you will be looking at the back side of your food run off. Don't get me wrong the AR is a great weapon, but if you need something which has been proven to take a beating and keep shooting, a bolt action is the way to go.

update;
From a survival blog:

30-30 Winchester – Is It The Best Survival Gun?

It seems no matter what you read, there’s some “guru” telling you what is and is not the perfect survival gun. Well, I might as well put my two cents in to this debate as well. My pick is the 30-30 Winchester cartridge and the rifle I choose is the Marlin lever action. Now that I’ve said that, I’ll tell you that the perfect survival gun is the one you happen to have in your hand when a survival situation occurs.

If you happen to be a person who plans on having an emergency, then there are many fine firearms to have in such a situation. A strong argument could be made for the 12 gauge shotgun as being the best survival gun. I would agree with that statement if you’re the type of person who does not practice with your firearm enough to be proficient.

The reasons I like the Marlin 30-30 are many. Here is a list of my reasons why the Marlin gets my nod as the best survival gun.

They’re cheap. I see them in the local classifieds for under $200
They’re reliable and durable. The lever action is a strong and reliable mechanism
They’re easy to use. Just about anyone can be shown how to load and shoot one. This will be helpful if you ever find yourself in a survival situation with people who are not firearms savvy
They can put a fair amount of lead down range in a short amount of time. Most rifles hold 6 rounds and these can be cycled and fired rather quickly with just a little amount of practice.
The ammo is readily available. Next to the 22 long rifle, I’d say that the 30-30 is the ammo you’ll find the most of when you really need it.
The ammo is inexpensive. Recently, I just bought 20 boxes of ammo from Cabela’s during one of their sales for $14.99 a box
The 30-30 can be very accurate. Much more accurate than the AK-47 and SKS type of semi-auto’s (as well as many AR’s). Also, the round delivers more of a punch than the .223′s and the AK rounds.

And those are the ones that come off the top of my head.

Now if you’re a die hard firearms person, one who practices on a regular basis, then you probably have a lot of guns to choose from. But for the Average Joe, the Marlin 30-30 is hard to be for your one gun arsenal. (okay, you should have a shotgun and a .22 also!)

The 30-30 has enough energy to take any Big Game animal walking North America.

Coyote33 to answer your question: Henry does not make a 444 lever gun. Marlin does. We have one in our shop. No it does not use a 44 mag round. it is a much longer larger case. It would put a good whoop ass on what ever you were shooting at however[smile]

Last edited:
As to "you have to have an AR" IMHO disagree. ...I have the Ruger scout and its a great rifle, short, light weight compared to other rifles. Also lever guns are also a good choice. if you want firepower try a Henry lever gun chambered in 45/70. It will knock down a frigging elephant. ...

Don't forget the 444 or just plain old .44 Magnum. Does Henry make a 444? Does a 444 rifle also shoot .44 Magnum?

Oh, baloney. Of the millions of AR's and M16's around, how many have EVER corroded thru a gas tube? exactly zero, that's how many. if the AR malfunctions 1 time in every 5 rds, it's still going to be a lot faster to get 5 hits with than any bolt action could ever hope to be. Very few commercial bolt actions could take even one year of what M16's just shrug off in the way of mistreatment, in a bootcamp training company. there's many good reasons why it is still the military's rifle, after more than 40 years of fighting all over the world. It's simply the best, bar none.

Yeah, I really want my life bet on a CHEAP gun, one that doesn't take a GI rd, that has no detachable mag, or corrosion resistant finish, no chromed bore, no threaded muzzle, that I can't clean from the breech, that is a nightmare to take apart and clean in the field, that is not usable with just one hand, which has no .22lr conversion unit, doesnt use GI parts, has no drop in luminous sights, no return to zero scope base, no protected iron sights, one that's heavy, 2x as slow to get the hits with, has no telescoping or folding buttstock, no drop in trigger job, etc, etc. I hope everyone has such a gun, if shtf, or an even dumber Mosin bolt action. It will make me much safer, and much easier to get what I need.

gunkid-t.jpg

Oh, baloney. Of the millions of AR's and M16's around, how many have EVER corroded thru a gas tube? exactly zero, that's how many. if the AR malfunctions 1 time in every 5 rds, it's still going to be a lot faster to get 5 hits with than any bolt action could ever hope to be. Very few commercial bolt actions could take even one year of what M16's just shrug off in the way of mistreatment, in a bootcamp training company. there's many good reasons why it is still the military's rifle, after more than 40 years of fighting all over the world. It's simply the best, bar none.

Yeah, I really want my life bet on a CHEAP gun, one that doesn't take a GI rd, that has no detachable mag, or corrosion resistant finish, no chromed bore, no threaded muzzle, that I can't clean from the breech, that is a nightmare to take apart and clean in the field, that is not usable with just one hand, which has no .22lr conversion unit, doesnt use GI parts, has no drop in luminous sights, no return to zero scope base, no protected iron sights, one that's heavy, 2x as slow to get the hits with, has no telescoping or folding buttstock, no drop in trigger job, etc, etc. I hope everyone has such a gun, if shtf, or an even dumber Mosin bolt action. It will make me much safer, and much easier to get what I need.

Well I guess you disagree with the blogger, good for you. Where did you get the facts as to "Of the millions of AR's and M16's around, how many have EVER corroded thru a gas tube? exactly zero, that's how many "
As to dumber Mosin, watch it rookie, they were in service far longer than the AR.

Again read the blog, it wasn't to say it should be everybody's choice, as to cleaning from the Muzzle end, I am not sure WTF you are talking about. A lever gun can be cleaned from the muzzle. As to taking a lever gun apart, you don't have to be a genius. Also they are made in stainless steel as well. Being inexpensive doesn't mean "cheap".

If you want a rifle that you can bury in mud, run over it with a truck and pick it up and it will still function then an AK is the way to go.

Are you really serious that an AR can take more abuse than a bolt action....really. As to corroded gas tube, yes they get clogged from not being cleaned. You made a statement that if the AR jams 1 in 5 rounds its still better than a rifle that is not a semi auto. What will you do if you do get a failure to feed in a rifle that has been known not to tolerate sand, or other severe elements, ask everybody to wait while you clear the jam[rofl][rofl][rofl][rofl]

What's the situation with the mags for the Ruger scout? Are they proprietary, or does it take some other more common mags that might be available as prebans?
Ruger makes/has made for them their own metal and poly mags. I've read you can use Accuracy International mags also. Check out scoutrifle.org there is alot of info on the Ruger there along with other weapons.

Oh no, I may have taken time out of my life to answer kriz who is thought to be "gunkid" who has been banned from just about every shooters forum out there.
here is one his posts from a forum:

GunKid on January 1, 2011 at 1:33 am said:

I admit it, I’m a stupid hack who has no opinions worth listening to, about guns, shooting, or anything else. I also sometimes like to dress up in women’s underwear.

Oh God please tell me its not the same guy!

Back
Top Bottom