• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Buy one rifle and one scope for SHTF. Your one survival rifle.

Trying to decide between .223 and .308 with an accurized barrel. Bolt action. Not sure about optics.

.308 for a bolt action.

Scope I would go SB or NF if you've got the money. Otherwise Millett is a good option.

did you just drop SB and NF in the same statement as Millet?

Aimpoint, Trij, Vortex, Leup, SWFA, IOR, hell even bushnell.

if you buy a rifle be prepared to atleast spend the same amount as you did on the rifle as you do on the scope.

did you just drop SB and NF in the same statement as Millet?

Aimpoint, Trij, Vortex, Leup, SWFA, IOR, hell even bushnell.

if you buy a rifle be prepared to atleast spend the same amount as you did on the rifle as you do on the scope.

I put Millet up as a midline option, not on par with SB and NF. I wasn't prepared to provide and exhaustive list. [laugh]

One rifle? That's a no-brainer. Get the platform that's been effectively killing America's enemies for almost 50 years, the AR15. You want a scope, put a flat top upper on it. You don't wanta scope, leave the iron sights. You want a rifle that offers flexibility in any SHTF scenario, the AR is it. It can go long, it can be configeured for compactness. Nothing beats it for the power to weight ratio. Try carrying close to 400 rounds of 308. The compare that to the relative ease with which you can carry the same amount of 5.56.

Chris

One rifle? That's a no-brainer. Get the platform that's been effectively killing America's enemies for almost 50 years, the AR15. You want a scope, put a flat top upper on it. You don't wanta scope, leave the iron sights. You want a rifle that offers flexibility in any SHTF scenario, the AR is it. It can go long, it can be configeured for compactness. Nothing beats it for the power to weight ratio. Try carrying close to 400 rounds of 308. The compare that to the relative ease with which you can carry the same amount of 5.56.

Chris

He said bolt action.

I realize that. I was trying to guide him without coming right out and saying that planning your one and only SHTF rifle around a bolt action is silly.

Chris

This. I know he said bolt action but if SHTF, number of rounds, portability, ease of use, and versatility would be keys. I would go first to an AR type weapon, then a bolt after that for precision at longer ranges.

Points about the AR platform well taken. That said,

Does anyone make a .223 bolt action capable of handling 5.56 NATO feed/pressure/etc.? Just having the capability for versatility/ammo availability sake?

Plus, how feasible is owning an AR platform in Massachusetts anyway??

Wow. Seriously, I'm not being mean here, but MA has got to have the best antigun propaganda and brainwashing ever created by man.

We'll do our best to reprogram you. Yes you can own and AR. With 30 round mags. Please buy one.

Lots of AR goodness in MA. Check out the "Show me your AR" thread on this forum. No one should be without one, unless you're an AK fan, which is the other great choice for a SHTF rifle.

SHTF is corny, but if for what ever reason I could only own 1 rifle, it would a good 16" AR with a good 1-4 power scope on it.

Fellas—

I don’t mean to disrupt ChrisATX’s question/thread, but I live in Boston and heretofore am under the legal understanding that I don’t have shat for rifle options other than bolt action. Given my predicament, I’m keenly interested in the bolt action recommendations put forth so far. If not mistaken, Rem 700 short action or 308 seem to be ideal options.

Independent of this thread, the CZ 527 looks very interesting, but I’ve yet to learn if it’s MA compliant.

Presuming ChrisATX has similar legal considerations, I would love to see more bolt action recommendations in response here. Sadly, AR15 is off the table for folks like me (and yeah, I know, move out of Boston : )

Thx!

You are mistaken. Read the stickies. Th Boston AWB does not preclude from all manner of EBRs. Most, yes, but not all.

If you must have a bolt action and those two are the only options I say .308 but in my mind a good bolt action with a scope is great for 200+ yard shots, hunting and assassination attempts on Rival Post apocalyptical gang leaders. (J/K on last one) in my mind if I need to reach out 200+ yards I am in no danger I can hide, run, evade or wait until they get closer and give them commands to leave or be met with force. It is tough to focus a good powerful scope at close range while trying to keep a bead on a moving op force with a weapon. I think a rifle like an AR, AK, Saiga, or any other reliable semi auto rifle that has available high capacity magazines available. Most confrontations are going to be at close range and the time it takes to take an accurate shot cycle a bolt and re-aquire a target and shoot again is too long in my opinion. training can speed this up some but if you want a hard hitting longer distance rifle pick up one of the above and add a Mosin Nagant to your collection. One can be had for around a hundred bucks and you can buy a case of a thousand rounds for dirt cheap too.

redundancy is a good thing... two rifles is one one rifle is none...... I guess if you are part of a large group and you had a good reliable sidearm and a boat load of mags a good long distance bolt action can be helpful.

Fellas—

I don’t mean to disrupt ChrisATX’s question/thread, but I live in Boston and heretofore am under the legal understanding that I don’t have shat for rifle options other than bolt action. Given my predicament, I’m keenly interested in the bolt action recommendations put forth so far. If not mistaken, Rem 700 short action or 308 seem to be ideal options.

Independent of this thread, the CZ 527 looks very interesting, but I’ve yet to learn if it’s MA compliant.

Presuming ChrisATX has similar legal considerations, I would love to see more bolt action recommendations in response here. Sadly, AR15 is off the table for folks like me (and yeah, I know, move out of Boston : )

Thx!

CZ527? you dont need to worry about it being compliant its a bolt action therefore not considered an assault weapon.

Any savage in 308, with accustock and accutrigger. Vortex as a budget scope, and S&B for the high priced option.

Back
Top Bottom