• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Bullet strikes windshield of car traveling on Route 101 in Epping

Oh no, birds are dropping bullets now? First they fling poo, now this. What next, axe wielding doves?

[rofl]not on the car, just on the road so that a car could kick it up. Some birds like shiny things.

That just doesn't look like it was freshly fired, or that it impacted anything that wasn't fairly soft.

So, according to this non-scientific test, fired from the hood a bullet will pass through a windshield, leave a clearly keyholed entry due to angle, and retain enough energy to pass through a driver's seat into the back seat. Now, if memory serves from college physics, a bullet fired at angle will retain energy on its decent and impact at nearly the same energy for distance traveled regardless of loss of energy to gravity (loss of velocity to gravity on the upswell, gained on the down).

How deep was that bullet lodged again? And why are the shards of glass so big?

FredD, are you Phred? SSA runs a tight ship. I don't think I've yet been on those two ranges, but I know no one I've taken any course with there would come close to such a ND. Yes, I have read about the recent holstering injury, but the facts of this news story stink.

Those arrows would be much more informative and I would guess less supportive of this presumed point of your post if they were from ground level, showed the trees the projectile would have to go over/through, and the actual trajectory/arc it would take a slow projectile like that (as It has been stated) .45 to hit and penetrate the windshield and dash like that.

impact hole would suggest the window was struck perpendicular, or nearly so to the surface of the windshield and not from the right as described by the driver as the impact was just to the right of the driver; which should eliminate any chance it was fired from the Sig property. In addition the condition of the surface of the bullet, as mentioned several times, is not a recently fired projectile,

I take it she lives down the ways from Sig and has complained about the noise as well..
Second sentence of the article says "Kristen Burke, of Hampton...", so not exactly within hearing distance of Sig Academy.

A bullet kicked up by a truck tire could hit that spot on the windshield.

Last edited by a moderator:
(smiling) "It's terrifying. . . are you getting my good side?"

She just wanted to get on TV.

And birds don't drop bullets. They drop coconuts. Sheesh.

A few years ago I found a frangible 9mm bullet on a military flight line. It was pretty old and obviously wasn't freshly fired. Near as we could figure, it's likely someone (security forces) had picked it up in their tire while driving off road near the on-base firing range, and it made it's way stuck in the tread until it was cast off at speed on the parking ramp. Damn SPs are known to blow off FOD checks if no one is looking...When I called them up to the office to pick up a bullet we found, they sure came over in a hurry to pick it up!

WBZ/WGME has a full frame shot of the windshield.
27yyh08.jpg

Note the about-to-expire 2016 inspection sticker on the windshield.

A cynic would think her windshield already had a crack; driver knows she will fail inspection (see the maroon "4" sticker up top? Last year's sticker) and figured this was an easy way to get SIG to cover the replacement.

The corrosion on the bullet and the fact that it was expanded (but not by the windshield glass) are elements of this BS story.

A cynic would think her windshield already had a crack; driver knows she will fail inspection (see the maroon "4" sticker up top? Last year's sticker) and figured this was an easy way to get SIG to cover the replacement.

That's a pretty elaborate ruse just to get a free windshield. [rofl]

Also it looks like that crack is much larger than a dollar bill. Insurance would replace that without much fuss and likely for free.

Except in NH auto glass coverage is optional, and skinflints often don't buy it there because its an extra $50 a year or something. [rofl]

-Mike

Correction Mike. Skinflints do not buy insurance at all. Not required. [rofl]

Well, I agree that its not required, but I don't think NH skinflints are quite -that- stupid, although the "you don't have to buy it" thing, is admittedly one of the things that makes NH one of the cheaper places to insure a car in this part of the US.

-Mike

Well, I agree that its not required, [but I don't think NH skinflints are quite -that- stupid, although the "you don't have to buy it" thing, is admittedly one of the things that makes NH one of the cheaper places to insure a car in this part of the US.

Wanna bet? [wink]

I know a few of them and they are just -that- stupid. One guy does firewood for a living and doesn't carry a lick of insurance on any of the wood trucks or the milling operations. Says he doesn't need any of that shit. He sells the best damn wood around too! [smile]

Well, I agree that its not required, but I don't think NH skinflints are quite -that- stupid, although the "you don't have to buy it" thing, is admittedly one of the things that makes NH one of the cheaper places to insure a car in this part of the US.

-Mike

Wouldn't a skinflint not even take into consideration of the hours spent concocting this scheme to try and get something for a discount or free ? Kinda the same reasoning as driving 2.5 hrs to save $20 on a case of ammo.

Wouldn't a skinflint not even take into consideration of the hours spent concocting this scheme to try and get something for a discount or free ? Kinda the same reasoning as driving 2.5 hrs to save $20 on a case of ammo.

I can reload shotshells for free, if I don't count my time (buy a pile of stuff, sell off what I don't need, keep the rest....inventory cost = zero).

I'm sure that the CPAs will not agree! [laugh]

Wanna bet? [wink]

I know a few of them and they are just -that- stupid. One guy does firewood for a living and doesn't carry a lick of insurance on any of the wood trucks or the milling operations. Says he doesn't need any of that shit. He sells the best damn wood around too! [smile]

Contact info for the seller? You can PM if you don't want to post it.

I love how the newspaper has it listed under "CRIME":

Sig Sauer gun ranges closed after bullets found to be falling on Route 101

By JASON SCHREIBER
Union Leader Correspondent

EPPING - Sig Sauer Academy's firing ranges facing Route 101 have been shut down after a state police investigation found that bullets were falling onto the highway.

State police announced the range closure Monday following an investigation that began in April when Kristen Burke of Hampton reported that a bullet had struck her windshield while she was traveling westbound between Exits 7 and 8.

According to state police, detectives concluded that the round that hit Burke's car likely came from Sig Sauer, which is located just north of the area where it was struck.

State police said that while the investigation revealed that rounds being fired from the ranges at Sig Sauer were falling onto Route 101, they determined that the bullet that shattered Burke's windshield wasn't fired from a pistol at the time that she was passing through the area.

http://www.unionleader.com/crime/si...ets-found-to-be-falling-on-route-101-20170626

Last edited:
State police said that while the investigation revealed that rounds being fired from the ranges at Sig Sauer were falling onto Route 101, they determined that the bullet that shattered Burke's windshield wasn't fired from a pistol at the time that she was passing through the area.

Wha??? So bullets that originated from Sig are 'falling' onto cars, just not in the same time frame as the bullets are being shot?? Are birds picking them up and dropping them? Hoodlums digging them up and dropping them off of an overpass?? Magic? New laws of physics?

I really hope we have new laws of physics, we're due for a breakthrough.

Wha??? So bullets that originated from Sig are 'falling' onto cars, just not in the same time frame as the bullets are being shot?? Are birds picking them up and dropping them? Hoodlums digging them up and dropping them off of an overpass?? Magic? New laws of physics? I really hope we have new laws of physics, we're due for a breakthrough.

Sounds like our earlier theory (upthread) that the bullet was kicked up by the tire of a car in front of hers, was actually correct.

Ahh, that does make sense. Maybe we should just ban tires then and everyone can drive around on wooden wheels!!

I really hope that this BS isn't based off that ONE incident, and a bullet just happening to be in the road that got kicked up and busted a window. Some redneck could have been tooling around the seacoast area and popped a few shots into the air or something and a bullet lands in the road, then causes problems later.

If this is the case then why don't they shut down all the quarries and trucking companies every time a truck kicks up a rock that busts someones windshield? [rolleyes]

The only way I would buy this inquisition as being legit is if they went downrange in the same area and found more bullets on or near the road, etc.

-Mike

Back
Top Bottom