• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Bullet Spinning in Ice.. Real or Fake?

The impact in the original video is different from where they zoom in on the bullet spinning. As far as the bullet spinning too fast, it should be spinning at approximately 42750RPM. Additionally, I would think the groves from the rifling would catch in the ice and it would roll out.

Mike

I had a bucket of ball 45 bullets recovered from a rubber trap and they were loaded again, fired and looked the same. No rough edges on the rifling marks and I definitely think this is real.

It's not that I am a non believer,but I would like to see it in person before I become a true believer.I felt the same about UFO's until the summer of 1966. :)

That was cool. FMJ was what is needed for that stunt. Originally, they went with jacketed bullet with open base and it was shattering at various angles.

They were able to recreate it on a frozen lake, like the viral video. At first they tried with a few bocks of ice, but they could never find the bullet.

Definitely worth watching. I can't believe that:

1. The bullet is intact after impacting the ice.
2. It sits there spinning.

Amazing.

Missed the show...will try to catch it when re-run.

What were the conditions? Ice on water? Ice on pavement? How thick?

It's not that I am a non believer,but I would like to see it in person before I become a true believer.I felt the same about UFO's until the summer of 1966. :)

you saw an UFO? where?

about the bullet: so thats why when you buy a gun the owners manual says to not shoot at flat surfaces, they dont want us to have fun. (just kidding)

Last edited:
There's NO way that the bullet would stop on top of the ice and spin.

Clearly he had a device under the ice that vibrates (not spins) the bullet. The bullet was already there too (coulldn't see it in the long shot). The bullet has ZERO deformation/damage!

He most likely fired a blank.

Case closed.

It's GIZMODO, for Pete's sake, not Scientific American.

I wonder what type of device the Mythbusters used to vibrate their bullets.

I forgot about this thread until now. I did it with a G17 up in Vermont on the pond near our cabin. I was into the 3rd mag and getting pretty skeptical when it worked. I wasn't shooting at a steep enough angle at first.

Can't say if this is impossible but it would have been better if the cameraman never let the shots leave the field of view. Every time they found a spinning bullet the cameraman had to turn around.

Can't say if this is impossible but it would have been better if the cameraman never let the shots leave the field of view. Every time they found a spinning bullet the cameraman had to turn around.
Resolution vs field of view - if it were large enough to keep it in, you would not be able to see the bullet. It's also difficult to predict where the bullet is going to come to "rest."

OK, it's real. I just watched the Myth Busters do it last night. It took them 3 set-ups to get the magic formula down, then were were able to do it over and over and over.

Very cool.

Back
Top Bottom