• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Bullet Spinning in Ice.. Real or Fake?

I'm going to worship it as my new god and start a tax-haven, er religion - who's with me?

"Church of the spinning bullet" . Sounds good to me..... now we just need a Mary Hubbard type to work at the IRS for a few years... then its GRAVY TRAIN time.....

-Mike

I think "fake" - it's hard to see, but there doesn't appear to be any engraving from the rifling.

Also....they were set up to film the shot - if it's repeatable, why only one shot?

In the video that TWBARRETT posted, there were multiple shots... and not every shot resulted in a bullet landing on the ice.... it either got stuck in the ice, or probably bounced out of the area.

-Mike

"Church of the spinning bullet" . Sounds good to me..... now we just need a Mary Hubbard type to work at the IRS for a few years... then its GRAVY TRAIN time.....

-Mike
You wouldn't even have to repeat the spinning bullet, just the story told over and over that it happened once that the bullet turned into wine, er, spun would be enough. We can spend the next 2000 winters trying our darndest to repeat it and spreading the good word...

[laugh]

blasphemy has a satire exception right? [laugh]

Looks real to me (I agree with the comment in the article that if it is fake, quite a bit of work went into it).

Guys you are talking about a 9mm at like 1200+ fps ice is not that hard and he is point down at it, from less then 3 meters. It would have gone right throw the ice!

Perhaps, but ever fallen on a sheet of ice, especially one that thick?

It can be hard as concrete.

Plus... the the shooter could have used a reduced load.

I think it could be real.

Just for kicks someone submit it mythbusters and watch them screw it up. :)

According to the article, they already know about and are planning to put it to a test.

anyone commenting on the lack of bullet deformation has, in my estimation, a rather limited scope of shooting experience.

The only reason I think it fake is because he waves his hand in front of the camera like a magician does when they are distracting you.

Plus some buzzard would have figured this out before and it'd be common knowledge by now.

On a pond, so they are out in the open sky. If its fake, the job they did putting the reflection of the sky overhead within the copper jacket as it spins around is a masterpiece of special effects. Why would they spend that kind of time and effort faking a video like this one?

I am not sure what I am seeing happening on a scientific level, but I think its real.

I'm still completely baffled why anyone would think this is fake. People can easily explain it with basic physics. It's not even that amazing, it's a bullet. It's spinning. Wow. Here's another video of another person doing it-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0h3MBNpQHS0&feature=related

Do people think there's a conspiracy now? Of boring videos of a spinning bullet on ice? Oy.

Those dudes sound Canadian eh? Seriously I'll prove you day ladies wrong this winter.

I think it's totally possible, with a lot of luck!
I work with an air tool that spins at 100K and judging by the pitch that I heard, I think it's possible.
hmmm, I do a quick check to see if I have any vids of it. I thought I made one on my phone to show the lady, I'll post if I find!

No doubt in my mind that it is authentic. I believe that the ice is soft enough to completely envelope the bullet and prevent deformation and the ice is definately slick enough to allow the gyroscopic rotation and seems to act like the tops we played with in our childhood. I suspect that the RPM's are so high that the spinning mass actually glazes the "snow" into ice where they touch.

As others have mentioned, go to the range in the Spring or even in Winter after a sunny day and you will find handfuls of bullets that only have rifling showing. I have seen these reloaded before at the low end of the data spectrum and whether or not you believe it they shot fine. Grouping was as expected with the handgun used.

I think half our forum will be out on the ice with .40s this winter.[wink]

For science, after all.

So, the next question is... what would happen if someone tried to pluck the bullet with their fingertips while it was in full rotation?

Would their fingers be torn to shreds, or their arm ripped from thier shoulder socket?

Would they go spinning around like a windmill just like the cat and the ceiling fan video ?

Or would they simply receive a minor friction burn?

Last edited:
I don't see why magic spinning bullets are such a crazy concept. Remember, over in New York they have Heat Seeking bullets!

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it's totally possible, with a lot of luck!
I work with an air tool that spins at 100K and judging by the pitch that I heard, I think it's possible.
hmmm, I do a quick check to see if I have any vids of it. I thought I made one on my phone to show the lady, I'll post if I find!

OK. Here is a quick vid of the of my air tool going from 0 to 100K RMP in about 5 sec and from <100K back to zero in a few secs. The pitch range is soo great that my cell didn't even come close to capturing the full range of the spectrum.
(Inside the tool are compressor fans just like in a ducted aircraft engine)[angry]

I can't upload, it's still too large. I trimmed the vid and compressed into a zip and apparently a 6.4 MB zip from my pc is too large.

I'll add it if you folks are interested and/or know another way. ...youtube would be the easiest I suppose tho I didn't wanna go that route

Back
Top Bottom