Building a 1911 in Massachusetts

With the 1911 buy at Remsport looking like it's going to happen, I was wondering about the legal issues of building/assembling a handgun that isn't on the AG's approved list in this state.

I've done two so far and My current one is a Remsport that's all most finished and I'm just waiting for the sights to complete it.

As long as it's not finished and the frame and slide are not together don't worry about it. When every thing is together and it can fire, all you have to do is file a FA10 to make it Ma. legal.

Last edited:
I've done two so far and My current one is a Remsport that's all most finished and I'm just waiting for the sights to complete it.

As long as it's not finished and the frame and slide are not together don't worry about it. When every thing is together and it can fire, all you have to do is file a FA10 to make it Ma. legal.

I thought the paper work had to be completed when the transfer of the frame took place.

Yes and no.

I thought the paper work had to be completed when the transfer of the frame took place.

That depends on WHAT paperwork you are referring to. [wink]

The form 4473 (federal) will be filled out when you buy the receiver. Once you build it, it is now "able to fire a shot" and you submit the MA FA-10 form.

Two different pieces of paper.

Now the store that transfers the frame may insist on completing the FA-10 portion but that is another matter entirely, and has also been discussed here numerous times.

If they do, then just for fun ask them what they would submit as the barrel length, caliber, and finish since you haven't decided on those details yet. [smile]

The State doesn’t consider the frame a firearm so no FA10 or MERCS is needed. In fact the state doesn’t want the dealer to do a MERCS on a frame, however many dealers do. The Fed's consider the frame a gun so a 4473 must be completed when purchasing a frame from a dealer. Once you have your frame you can build it into a gun or you can have a gunsmith built it into a gun for you. Once you have an assembled firearm you must do an FA10 . Check the Reg. box at the top of the FA10. Do not fill out the seller’s part of the FA10 ( the top part) there is no dealer or seller involved. If you fill this section out it will end up being kicked back and checked on. Fill out the gun section and your information parts of the FA10, sign both seller and buyer and mail the top copy to the CHSB, you keep the other two copies.
I will state once more do not fill out the seller/dealer section on the FA10 and remember to check the Reg. box at the top left. You can build as many guns for yourself as you like.

With the 1911 buy at Remsport looking like it's going to happen, I was wondering about the legal issues of building/assembling a handgun that isn't on the AG's approved list in this state.

There aren't any. AG/EOPS crap only apply to dealer based transactions, and have nothing to do with a licensed person owning, purchasing, or building any particular firearm that is otherwise legal. (eg, covered by your license and not banned by the MA AWB. )

-Mike

Last edited:
Just a curious, mayby a stupid question, but does that (fa-10) count against the 4 FTF transactions allowed per year?

No, you can register as many guns as you want on an FA-10 every year. (EG, builds or out of state long gun purchases, lawful inheritances, post move in registrations, etc. )

The 4 per yer restriction is on FTF sales via FA-10; it does not restrict purchases.

-Mike

In fact the state doesn’t want the dealer to do a MERCS on a frame, however many dealers do.
I would have to winder how badly the state "wants" the dealer to not fill out a MIRCS (not MERCS) form on a frame, since a memo from the state instructing dealers to not fill out a MIRCS on stripped frames would end the practice immediately.

The reason dealers fill out the form it the inability to get a simple, clear statement from the state Firearms Records Bureau or AG's office stating that no form is required on a frame. They can "conclude" is based on the law, but are nervous someone will later conclude that said interpretation was not accurate. (Just look at what happened when Maadi-Griffith relied on the BATF interpretation that an incomplete 50BMG rifle without a receiver was not a firearm)

Back
Top Bottom