Bringing pistol to Massachusetts

My brother in law is coming to visit from Connecticut. He has a pistol I would like him to bring with him for me to try. His LTC has run out in CT. Can he transport the gun to me in MA? If we decide to transfer ownership to me is this something we can do at the local gun shop, or do we need to have it be transferred from an FFL in CT to and FFL in MA? Are there any dealers in MA that will do a transfer like this, provide this is a gun that can be sold in MA? I don't want he or I to do anything we shouldn't.

Without a Massachusetts LTC or evidence that he's bring the gun to participate in a competition here, he can not bring the gun with him. Any transfer would have to go through a Massachusetts FFL, which means that the gun would need to meet both the EOPS and AG requirements.

Ken

Greg,

Welcome to the forum.

Do a search here in Gun Laws forum about the laws regarding transfers and bringing handguns in without a LTC.

Ken covered it in brief.

If he does not have a pistol permit in CT he can't take the pistol out of his house. It's legel for him to own a pistol without a pistol permit just as long as he keeps it in his house. You need a pistol permit to take it anyware that is not his home.

(i'm just throwing this out)

what about if (Greg) has his brother-inlaw ship the gun to him via fed-ex or similar.this way if he times it right,he'll show up at gregs house after the gun shows up.

Greg,i take it you have a LTC ?

beretta92d said:
(i'm just throwing this out)

what about if (Greg) has his brother-inlaw ship the gun to him via fed-ex or similar.this way if he times it right,he'll show up at gregs house after the gun shows up.

Greg,i take it you have a LTC ?

I wouldn't even think of going there, and no, it's not a good idea. I lost count of the number of laws that could be broken in that.

Boy that sounds like a free state , can't wait to move back there. Must keep all the bad guys in line!!!

What part of ''Shall not be Infringed'' dont they get???

Cant even take a gun out of your house??? Makes law abiding folks the bad guys.

KIDGLOCK said:
Boy that sounds like a free state , can't wait to move back there. Must keep all the bad guys in line!!!

The state is the least of it - interstate shipment of firearms is under FEDERAL law. It even applies in Wyoming...... [rolleyes]

Scrivener said:
The state is the least of it - interstate shipment of firearms is under FEDERAL law. It even applies in Wyoming...... [rolleyes]

Don't worry Scriv, I've seen tadpoles do more research than KIDGLOCK. [rolleyes]

I can't wait to see what other intelligent posts he makes.

Kidglock-

Nice try, but GOPA/926A doesn't apply if the destination state is
communist. GOPA is only for transiting communist states, nothing
more nothing less. All it really does is protect a free stater that has
to drive his vehicle across enemy territory to another free state as his/her
destination.

Not to mention it does a pretty poor job at doing that... I haven't seen
a federal judge or someone from the feds spit on NY or NJ for breaking
the law on numerous circumstances, even when the law DOES apply
to the situation. It's also abused quite a bit in MA when people go through
Logan airport.

-Mike

Im trying to find the link to that very thing of which you speak Mike .

Its about a follow from Utah who had a lay over in NJ. and got to spend 2 weeks in jail , that must have been fun.

KIDGLOCK said:
Im trying to find the link to that very thing of which you speak Mike .

Its about a follow from Utah who had a lay over in NJ. and got to spend 2 weeks in jail , that must have been fun.

What's amazing is it happened in the United States. I never thought I'd see the day.

You know, some folks talk about how BAD Mass's Gun Laws are. If you're a Battle Rifle shooter, like I am, you'll find CT's laws to be WORSE. I checked before, and couldn't believe it.

List the Semi Autos you can own in CT. Then list the Semi Autos you can own in Mass. Which list is bigger?

Nickle said:
You know, some folks talk about how BAD Mass's Gun Laws are. If you're a Battle Rifle shooter, like I am, you'll find CT's laws to be WORSE. I checked before, and couldn't believe it.

List the Semi Autos you can own in CT. Then list the Semi Autos you can own in Mass. Which list is bigger?

CT is just plain outright weird. (And we thought MA was horrible!) Apparently, you can get AKs in 5.54 x 39 but
not in 7.62 x 39... and AR's are okay, just as long as theyre not made
by Colt and dont say "AR-15" on them. Very bizarre and
spastic. Apparently some guy from MA got arrested at a CT gun show
for offering a gun for sale which was not CT legal... Hard to believe
but true.

They also have this retarded restriction on Full Auto NFA guns... Machineguns in CT
cannot be "select fire" eg they cant have a burst pack or an S/E/F style lower in them...
its either SAFE or FULL. (Well, they can have SEF but the "E" cant work!) That's why you see ads
on some C3 boards like "HK MP5 - CT Neutered - w/original lower to convert back to normal in your state."
I don't see the logic there.... so I guess they don't like people to use single shots when a machinegun
is involved? Just nuts.

The laws in anti-states are just assinine. They're so screwed up to the extent that when you talk
to people that arent from here, about the laws... the other person is usually speechless because they
can't get over how dumb/bizarre the laws are in comparison to whatever the ones they deal with
locally. A friend of mine was absolutely DUMBFOUNDED when I told him you need a LICENSE to buy
ammo here. Ugh.

-Mike

Last edited:
When it comes to gun owners moving to or visiting Massachusetts, "know before you go!"

I have seen too many good, honest people get into deep trouble by bringing guns here before they knew what our laws require of them.

This is a damn shame.

Lynne said:
I wouldn't even think of going there, and no, it's not a good idea. I lost count of the number of laws that could be broken in that.

well lynne,like i said
just throwing this out
seeing that i'm new to all these gun laws,i have no idea what's what.i'm still learning the ones for here in NH.

BTW
(hope it doesn't look like i'm getting defensive about your reply to my post)

beretta92d said:
well lynne,like i said
seeing that i'm new to all these gun laws,i have no idea what's what.i'm still learning the ones for here in NH.

BTW
(hope it doesn't look like i'm getting defensive about your reply to my post)

Not at all dear. [smile] And being in NH you're lucky you don't need to know all the BS laws we have to put up with. [grin]

Back
Top Bottom