bring a Silencer/ suppressor to MA for a week.

Hello,

Also thinking of bring my P22 with the suppressor to MA to do a little shooting with some family and friends. Is this a big no no or ok in MA?
Also bringing my AR15 and its black with evil components to take a class at sig sauer academy but not to worried about that.

No way unless you're a federally licensed manufacturer. (eg, you possess a Type 07 FFL) Huge Felony otherwise.

Sig is OK because it's in NH and pretty much everything is legal in NH because NH gun laws fit on a couple of cocktail napkins.

-Mike

In MA, suppressors are illegal (for normal civilian ownership). Bring one over the border and you're begging for trouble. IMO, not worth the pain. I'd also not bring any non-compliant firearms into MA. Unless you're NOT going to a range, but shooting on family owned property. Even then, you could get into trouble IF LEO gets called. Again, not really worth the potential pain.

Of course, once it's SHTF time, all those rules won't apply.

A suppressor is a firearm. Thus while you can travel through a state unmolested stopping in said said ( in this case Mass ) would leave you subject to the state laws. Simply staying in the state with it is illegal. My uncle lives in a town in Mass and I wanted to take some down as he loves ot shoot them here and when we are in NH on vacation. I asked a ATF agent about it and was clear "Mass ain't friendly do not take anything there you are no willing to leave without if they allow you to leave at all"..

The AR also wouldn't be legal to bring into MA unless it was a CONTINUOUS JOURNEY into NH with NO STOPS per FOPA. Otherwise your stay in MA may be for a LOT longer than a week, but you'd get free room and board for a number of years out of the Commiewealth.

Don't come into MA with anything, period!!

You would also have to file form 5320.20 putting the ATF on notice you were about to commit a felony in MA.

> NO STOPS per FOPA.

The "continuous and uninterrupted" clause in FOPA86 has defied any attempt at a coherent explanation as to what a "stop" is. I don't think I'm going out on a limb by speculating one may stop at a red light without violating FOPA, but it gets less clear when you consider stops for fuel, food or defecation.

You would also have to file form 5320.20 putting the ATF on notice you were about to commit a felony in MA.

> NO STOPS per FOPA.

The "continuous and uninterrupted" clause in FOPA86 has defied any attempt at a coherent explanation as to what a "stop" is. I don't think I'm going out on a limb by speculating one may stop at a red light without violating FOPA, but it gets less clear when you consider stops for fuel, food or defecation.

Best reason to plot the shortest route when passing through MA, and make sure you fill up (and empty out) before getting into the state.

Only time I'll be taking firearms through MA would be if I'm moving to Kentucky (or another pro 2A state).

Actually Rob, from what I recall, if you drill into US code you technically don't have to file a 5320 on a supressor. (IIRC Suppressors and AOWs are exempt from that requirement) but NFA branch seems to have no qualms about "processing" them, from what people tell me.

-Mike

Last edited:
Best reason to plot the shortest route when passing through MA, and make sure you fill up (and empty out) before getting into the state.

As is getting lost in a crowd of one.

Hmm, Didn't think it would be that huge of a deal with the AR. The surpressor i could see. Guess, i might just rent one when im up at Sig. Guess im just bringing the HK P2000. they cant say anything about that with the 50 state conceal license :)

This state would get you for anything chuck9899, they would fine you and run you through court for years up here to help pay for the entitled bunch here. Plus they need more money to help pay for all the welfare and illegals here plus the occasional sex change for a murderer! Go Assachusetts "the Poop of Amerika"!

Charles.

Hmm, Didn't think it would be that huge of a deal with the AR. The surpressor i could see. Guess, i might just rent one when im up at Sig. Guess im just bringing the HK P2000. they cant say anything about that with the 50 state conceal license :)

Same deal, drive THRU ONLY (FOPA).

NO handguns or large-capacity anything (and all ARs are defined as large-capacity) in MA w/o a MA LTC, period.

There is NO exemption that is functional as no state meets the exemption requirements in MGL C. 140 S. 131G (one would need a permit from a state that forever prohibits any firearm ownership on a single misdemeanor conviction for drug use/possession).

This state would get you for anything chuck9899, they would fine you and run you through court for years up here to help pay for the entitled bunch here. Plus they need more money to help pay for all the welfare and illegals here plus the occasional sex change for a murderer! Go Assachusetts "the Poop of Amerika"!

Charles.

Mass. Does not recognize any other states license.......if you dont have one for mass., you're on your own......

I shouldn't have any trouble, I got my Federal Creds for my service pistol so high cap stuff won't apply but damn i love the laws here in AZ open carry and no one freaks out over a gun. Would love to know what happens if some one bends over and and someone gets a brief look at a gun handle or something.

I shouldn't have any trouble, I got my Federal Creds for my service pistol so high cap stuff won't apply but damn i love the laws here in AZ open carry and no one freaks out over a gun. Would love to know what happens if some one bends over and and someone gets a brief look at a gun handle or something.

I laugh in your general direction.

Mass couldn't give two shits about your federal creds. You are in for a rude awakening if you think anything like that matters there.

Let us all know how it turns out for you. And, good luck!

I laugh in your general direction.

Mass couldn't give two shits about your federal creds. You are in for a rude awakening if you think anything like that matters there.

Let us all know how it turns out for you. And, good luck!

Sorry, I think you are not understanding what i am saying or are mis informed. I am a Federal Agent with badge and creds and my duty weapon has a high capacity mag and i usually carry and extra one with me. I do not have to comply with State laws on carrying it concealed.

Last edited:
Was just in a certain gun store in MA on my way home from shooting this morning. Just poking around and there it was, a Walther PPK .22 with a suppressor screwed onto it. I asked the guy if he was sure he could sell that to me and he said it would be fine. Probably meant fifty dollar fine.

Last edited:
I am a Federal Agent with badge and creds and my duty weapon has a high capacity mag and i usually carry and extra one with me. I do not have to comply with State laws on carrying it concealed.

Yes, as I understand it, LEOSA technically exempts you from the licensing requirements, but AFAIK it does not exempt you from the "large capacity magazine" prohibition.

Yes, as I understand it, LEOSA technically exempts you from the licensing requirements, but AFAIK it does not exempt you from the "large capacity magazine" prohibition.

True because it was never addressed in LEOSA. Dumb on the part of FOP who sponsored the law.

It's not been tried in the courts yet . . . so the mag issue is a very gray area, especially in MA with the current "interpretation" by EOPS on what active officers can carry off the job.

The AR also wouldn't be legal to bring into MA unless it was a CONTINUOUS JOURNEY into NH with NO STOPS per FOPA. Otherwise your stay in MA may be for a LOT longer than a week, but you'd get free room and board for a number of years out of the Commiewealth.

Don't come into MA with anything, period!!

LOL, New Mass state slogan " The take your money and business and GTFO state"

Actually you are wrong. You do not have to get a 5320.20 to take a suppressor on a road trip. I have traveled all over the US with mine. You can file one and the ATF will approve it but it is not required under law.

Back
Top Bottom