• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Break Free that has a DIFF SMELL???

I just bought a can of Break Free CLP from a GUN shop, and i've noticed that it smelled different than normal. It smelled more like paint-thinner, rather than that "your gonna get cancer" smell of BF CLP? Is this normal? Did I buy an older type or a newer type? Haven't used it on anything yet. Any insight?

??? I'm talking a really different scent to it. Imagine opening up hoppe's and instead of that musky smell of pure MAN, you get this paint-thinner scent. Wondering, do i have a lemon, or did they change something?

Get the pump bottle. Costs more per ounce, but you get ALL usable product, instead of paying for a carrier agent.

They found out that people like YOU were huffing it and decided to
change the formula just to throw you off.

[rofl][laugh]

Just Kidding.

-Mike

[rofl] yeah, when I was testing it out, I was doing it as if it were cologne. I sprayed it on both on different cards, and fanned each scent in. I'm definately going for the pump, mainly because the aerosal gets everywhere. It's way too overpressurized. At least my ceilings are now cleaned and lubricated.

PS. I'm gonna jump off of deep end and give Mobil 1 a try. Should I use it as a cleaner + lube, or just lube?

I use it as both a cleaner (on my Bore Snake and wiping the gun off after cleaning and lubing it) and as an oil (rails, disconnector, hammer, bushing, etc.).

I hear that "Break-Free" has merged with "Break-Wind". That's probably the reason. Jack.

"Honey, does this Break Free smell funny to you?" [devil] ...

lol.gif

Great! As an engineer I've discovered the indifference between what an engine oil does, versus what gun oils do. Actually, what I've discovered is that engine oils perform at a higher level (with added cleaning benefit). Many will willingly remained duped, and swear only by "gun cleaning/lubing products", but as the wallet is beginning to become tighter, alternatives must be explored. I'm most likely gonna toss the can of CLP, because it just doesn't seem right to me.

( Was gonna insert something witty but... )

There was a change in the CLP smell, your not dreaming it. The stuff we had in the late 80's to somewhere in the late 90's smelled good to use as aftershave lotion... if your name was Tackleberry! [smile] Just after I bought my Bushy rifle in 1997, I went to FS to get some cleaning stuff and grabbed a bottle of CLP. I opened it and wow, did it stink! The smell was a very pungent, chemical smell that made me put it back on the shelf. I'd hate to have that on the rifle for lube as you could smell it at a good distance. I haven't tried any of the new stuff but I believe that it still is this way.

Joe R.

Get the pump bottle. Costs more per ounce, but you get ALL usable product, instead of paying for a carrier agent.
+1

I buy cleaners/oil in quarts and just fill up micro droppers, pump sprayers, and use a refillable pressurized aerosol bottle that's made for oils.

http://www.sureshotsprayer.com/bstain.htm

http://www.emsdiasum.com/microscopy/products/clean/duster.aspx
Handles even strong solvents and pressurizes easily from a bike pump or better.

Best of all worlds.

Back
Top Bottom