Brazil rejects the gun ban 2 to 1

Good news!
I was just gonna search for the results. Thanks for posting this, ya saved me some work.

Woo-hoo!

I heard some lady from the BBC bloviating about this on the radio (two guesses on the vote they were pushing). They were doing man-on-the-street interviews with voters. The question: how did you vote and why? Here was the first response:

"I voted no. Because the referendum goes against the constitution..."

I couldn't hear the rest of the answer, because I was laughing too hard. I didn't realize the NRA had an office in Sao Paolo. I bet the BBC interviewer was pretty annoyed to hear that thrown in his face. Isn't it only the savage Americans who value their constitution?

Jeremiah said:
Isn't it only the savage Americans who value their constitution?
Ya we're only "savages" because we kicked their asses, how many times now???
They're loyal subjects.

This is good news for gun owners everywhere. By nature, for me the glass is always half-empty. Stop and consider this: In 2005 35 percent of the voters said yes to banning firearms. What will the percentage be in 2015 or 2055 ? I don't pretend to know much about Brazilian society or cultural norms, but it seems to me that this won't be the last time the anti-gun people will make their views known. My best guess is that they are going to only intensify their efforts. I hope that the people of Brazil continue to see what a fraud gun-control is.

I would like to know more about the restrictions of the 2003 gun control law currently in effect as well.

Anyway, common sense prevailed for now, and I hope that the Brazilians are able to successfully thwart future onslaughts from the anti-gun faction.

Regards,

Mark

mark056 said:
Anyway, common sense prevailed for now, and I hope that the Brazilians are able to successfully thwart future onslaughts from the anti-gun faction.

Regards,

Mark

Me too. I hope it isn't like this country where they just keep coming, and coming, and coming.

Way to go Brasil!

Some quotes from the AP News story on this...

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,173154,00.html

"I don't like people walking around armed on the street. But since all the bandits have guns, you need to have a gun at home," said taxi driver Mohammed Osei, who voted against the ban.

Curious.

While supporters argued that gun control was the best way to staunch the violence, opponents played on Brazilians' fears that the police can't protect them.

Those evil gun nuts manipulating the poor ignorant population.

Analysts said the pro-gun lobby benefited from equal time on television in the final weeks of the campaign and that they cannily cashed in on Brazilian skepticism of the police.

Well, we will just have to fix that with some Campaign Finance Reform Legislation. Then only OUR side will get TV time.

"The whole campaign (against the ban) was imported from the United States. They just translated a lot of material from the NRA," said Jessica Galeria, a Californian who researches gun violence with the Viva Rio think tank, referring to the National Rifle Association (search). "Now, a lot of Brazilians are insisting on their right to bear arms, they don't even have a pseudo right to bear arms. It's not in their Constitution."

Check to NRA on the way. BTW, Jessica, you know as well as anyone it doesn't matter what's in the Constitution. Only what people believe is in there. Sorry...you loose. [twisted]

I really liked the line from Jessica Galeria about Brazilians not even having "a pseudo right to bear arms [since] t's not in their Constitution." Since she seems to believe that all rights come from constitutions, then it was perfectly acceptable for Sadam Hussein, Pol Pot and the like to kill thousands of their citizens, since there was nothing in their constitutions at the time that gave those people any right to live. I suspect that thuth in advertising laws should make them refer to "Viva Rio" as a "feel tank" rather than a "think tank".

Ken

Back
Top Bottom