• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Brake Cleaner

Would you trust brake cleaner in place of "Gun Scrubber"?

• Total voters

NES Member
I try to keep an open mind as much as possible but sometimes it's a lil hard. So I ask you to please stimulate my brain. I was at the range the other day and I over heard someone saying that they don't bother to use "Gun Scrubber". They instead use brake cleaner. This person was convinced that they are the same product for the most part. I did not speak up to him because I didn’t have my facts straight but here is what I came up with.

1. Gun scrubber evaporates much faster than brake cleaner. I know this because I replace my own brakes.

2. Although they have a similar smell they do smell different. ( I also sniff glue....j/k)

3. There is a huge price difference. I can get brake cleaner on sale at AutoZone for about a dollar. "Gun Scrubber is about 4 dollars I believe at Wal-Mart. I do believe in price fixing but %400 is a little overboard.

Please set me straight.

I've heard of others using brake cleaner as well. I personally never have so I can't give you an honest answer. But I'm sure somebody where will.

I use brake or carb cleaner on my guns all the time. The only thing is I find that Gunscrbber seens to have a little more pressure behind it.

Carb cleaner and Brake cleaner are night and day.

Brake cleaner: clean your stuff

Carb cleaner" clean your stuff and remove any plastic, like grips, and Glock Frames.

Pick carefuly which you want. If you want your G-Lock melting on your benc, hit it with carb cleaner... otherwise, brake cleaner...

KMaurer said:
Lynne said:
I have to admit it, I only use Hoppe's for cleaning...it's the smell...but you already knew I was a bit strange. :D
Hadn't noticed. How, exactly?

Ken

Well, there's the split personality (I TOLD you I'm busy - be quiet!) Then there's the fact that I'm totally gun crazy. Yup - I'm a gun nut. (Egads....and I thought she was a liberal! - Bite your tongue!!) And I get off on Hoppe's. I also smoke cigars, but I don't inhale. (Easy on the Clinton jokes!) Um...what am I leaving out? (I don't know, you didn't ask me. You shush.)
:D

Lynne said:
KMaurer said:
Lynne said:
I have to admit it, I only use Hoppe's for cleaning...it's the smell...but you already knew I was a bit strange. :D

Ken

Well, there's the split personality (I TOLD you I'm busy - be quiet!) Then there's the fact that I'm totally gun crazy. Yup - I'm a gun nut. (Egads....and I thought she was a liberal! - Bite your tongue!!) And I get off on Hoppe's. I also smoke cigars, but I don't inhale. (Easy on the Clinton jokes!) Um...what am I leaving out? (I don't know, you didn't ask me. You shush.)

Yeah, I know about all that, but what is it exactly that's strange?

Ken

KMaurer said:
Lynne said:
KMaurer said:
Lynne said:

Ken

Yeah, I know about all that, but what is it exactly that's strange?

Ken

[lol] [lol] [lol]

Back
Top Bottom