• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Threaded Brake - Evil Feature? 😲

Lol "less gay".

How exactly does that thing work? ... I see holes everywhere.
Cage off = normal brake
Cage on = directs majority of concussive blast forward while retaining some muzzle brake effects (hence the holes). It's a hybrid.

The problem with the Witt SME style is that once you put on the sleeve/shroud, it no longer acts as a brake. You can see in some of the youtube videos that the rearward push of the rifle increases with the shroud on. You might say, "who cares it's only 556" but then why spend $175 on a device that doesn't do much beyond a bare muzzle?

Cage off = normal brake
Cage on = directs majority of concussive blast forward while retaining some muzzle brake effects (hence the holes). It's a hybrid.

The problem with the Witt SME style is that once you put on the sleeve/shroud, it no longer acts as a brake. You can see in some of the youtube videos that the rearward push of the rifle increases with the shroud on. You might say, "who cares it's only 556" but then why spend $175 on a device that doesn't do much beyond a bare muzzle?

I use a similar product simply as a courtesy to others. If I'm running around a range by myself doing drills, or storing my weapons, I keep the shroud off. If I go to the bench rest area to do some zeroing or distance work, I throw the shroud on as a courtesy to anyone else in my direct vicinity shooting. There are also some obvious but generally illegal uses of large diameter external threading on the end of a barrel. Especially when that thread size is a common oil filter thread size.

A dirty brake is fine. But something that is closed, with time, my opinion is it will get full of sh*t.

Have you seen how much crap accumulates on a brake after just a few hundred rounds?

At least my handgun brakes get nasty and they are open.

Maybe I am just over thinking this.
With a fast attach BMD type brake cover, they actually do need to be taken off and cleaned at the attachment points or it can seize up and get itself stuck in place like it’s loctite’d on.

Cage off = normal brake

i have a custom shroud like that made for my larue tranquilo brakes that are the same thing.
it indeed reduces brake function significantly, but, if you shoot it in the forest with no ear protection on - it is actually feasibly better on your ears, as most of the sound gets thrown forward.
still loud, but less of a ring in your ears from the initial strongest sound wave. other than that - no real benefit.

and, yeah, unfortunately :) - the tranquilo is not the oil filter thread size. :)
1668620018726.png

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom