Threaded Brake - Evil Feature? 😲

This one could be interesting ...

If I get the Witt Machine brake and pin it to make it MA compliant, does it still count as an evil feature because it has threads to attach their SME?

Sound Mitigation Equipment - Witt Machine

"Move to NH" - cool story, bro.

Following, I’m partial to the kinetitech brakes/shrouds

My opinion is it does count, because once it is pinned to the barrel it becomes part of the barrel, therefore giving you a threaded barrel.

But I am an AK guy, I don't usually need to worry about this stuff so I never thought about it.

My opinion is it does count, because once it is pinned to the barrel it becomes part of the barrel, therefore giving you a threaded barrel.

But I am an AK guy, I don't usually need to worry about this stuff so I never thought about it.

Does the verbiage in the law specify which part shouldn’t be threaded? I.e. taken to the limit, a barrel/barrel extension is threaded too… right?

But in reality I think you’ve got a point here

Does the verbiage in the law specify which part shouldn’t be threaded? I.e. taken to the limit, a barrel/barrel extension is threaded too… right?

But in reality I think you’ve got a point here
But is it still a barrel extension once it is part of the barrel?

Isn't that how some get away with a short barrel, they weld an extension to it and that makes the barrel the required legal length, used a lot for competiton guns.

Normal AKs often have slant brakes and threaded barrels though too.... just sayin, lol.

But, I bought my AKs already assembled so I never had to think about this.
I had a Norinco AK47S pweeban that was like that. One of my biggest regret sales ever, at least the NESr that bought it refurbed her wood and made it even better.

I came to the same conclusion but inquired with (the usual suspect/authority on such things as already referenced here, don't want to quote directly in case I'm off on something) and IIRC the opinion was more or less that it doesn't count because it is then no longer (specifically) a "...threaded barrel designed to accommodate a flash suppressor" as the rifle language in the law states. Makes sense to me but as usual some risk tolerance also comes into play considering where we live.

Tagging @CrackPot on this.... this has always been a weird area
The key is language in the statute. Flash suppressor or threaded barrel designed to accommodate a flash suppressor. So when you pin and weld a non-flash hider to the barrel and that device has its own threads designed for a silencer or linear comp then you are good. The threads are not designed to accommodate a flash suppressor so it is not a feature.

This one could be interesting ...

If I get the Witt Machine brake and pin it to make it MA compliant, does it still count as an evil feature because it has threads to attach their SME?

Sound Mitigation Equipment - Witt Machine

"Move to NH" - cool story, bro.
You are going to cause heads to explode with that one😂😂

“Move to NH - cool story bro” is f***in fire😂😂😂😂

The asshats up at Sig pro shop won’t even sell a MA resident a rifle barrel because it has threads on it. I think it counts as well. I woke up today and it’s one day closer to getting the f*** out of here

The key is language in the statute. Flash suppressor or threaded barrel designed to accommodate a flash suppressor. So when you pin and weld a non-flash hider to the barrel and that device has its own threads designed for a silencer or linear comp then you are good. The threads are not designed to accommodate a flash suppressor so it is not a feature.
So it is legal as long as the manufacturer doesn't sell a "flash supresor" that works with the threaded brake.

Larue sells one and I think it was discussed in one of those rifle threads, should be good to go.

I have one

So it is legal as long as the manufacturer doesn't sell a "flash supresor" that works with the threaded brake.
Yes, but also think of it a different way. 1/2x28, 5/8x24, etc are standard thread pitches and they make all sorts of muzzle devices that go on these including flash suppressors.

The proprietary threading for attaching linear comps and silencers is not meant for a flash hider. Its pretty pointless for a flash hider since the underlying device is a break and already filling up the space a flash hider would want empty to do its job.

Even if someone else came up with a flash suppressor that went on this, it was not DESIGNED to accommodate a flash suppressor.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gf-1YhlVho

Only 6bd differrence with shroud on and off

Getting them to reduce sound in a significant way is a waste of money. If they worked that well they would be regulated.

My goal was getting one to direct all the gases away. I am not a fan of brakes because they re loud AF.

I did not want a fixed linear comp because being welded means I can't easily clean it.

This would provide a solution - it directs games away, it can be easily removed to clean with the brake pinned to the barrel.

I didn't buy anything, I might just weld the thread protector.

Last edited:
Getting them to reduce sound in a significant way is a waste if money. If they worked that well they would be regulated.

My goal was getting one to direct all the gases away. I am not a fan of brakes because they re loud AF.

I did not want a fixed linear comp because being welded means I can't easily clean it.

This would provide a solution - it directs games away, it can be easily removed to clean with the brake pinned to the barrel.

I didn't buy anything, I might just weld the thread protector.
Clean it? Lol. Does a dirty comp even screw up accuracy?

Why not just pick a brake that's at the less gay end of the spectrum?

Honest question: Would this not run afoul of MGL's "...or intended to lessen or muffle the noise of the firing of any gun"? The function, in conjunction with the name of "sound mitigation device" sound damning to me. If they sold it as a blast cone and noted that it points sound down range, like just about every other manufacturer of these things say, I'd have less of an issue with equipping it.

That said, if one were scrutinizing MGL to that pedantic level, one could also note that they used the term "intended". What if the design intent of a muzzle device is to, say, help keep the barrel cool. But as a unintentional byproduct, it also lowers peak SPL. The designer didn't intend for that secondary effect.

Clean it? Lol. Does a dirty comp even screw up accuracy?

Why not just pick a brake that's at the less gay end of the spectrum?

A dirty brake is fine. But something that is closed, with time, my opinion is it will get full of sh*t.

Have you seen how much crap accumulates on a brake after just a few hundred rounds?

At least my handgun brakes get nasty and they are open.

Maybe I am just over thinking this.

Last edited:
A dirty brake is fine. But something that is closed, with time, my opinion is it will get full of sh*t.

Have you seen how much crap accumulates in a brake after just a few hundred rounds?

At least my handgun brakes get nasty and they are open.

Maybe I am just over thinking this.
Just buy this VG6 Gamma and this corresponding VG6 CAGE Device. Very effective, easy to clean, no threads, less gay.

Check other vendors, goes on sale quite frequently for about half price for the set.

Back
Top Bottom