• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Braintree Rifle & Pistol Club - Braintree, MA

FYI for BR&P members:

All de-leading activity is suspended for the Winter. [I got this info directly from the club president.] The rifle range remains to be done and one can assume that it will startup when Winter is over.

The far right pistol and plinking range and rifle range are open. The middle (pistol) range is closed until some work on the berm can be completed.

How long does it take to complete the process once its started? I havent been there a whole lot lately, so I have no idea how long the others may have been down for.

It seemed to me to take too damn long, like 6+ weeks just on the pistol range.

The company doing it . . . it was their first time (I am told) doing this work this way, so there was a learning curve (and why they didn't charge BR&P anything to do it).

Hopefully less than that on the rifle range, but it will undoubtedly have a serious impact for a while, when they get back to this project.

Len: Who was the company doing the deleading? You can send me a PM if you prefer. Our club had looked for such a company briefly, but couldn't find any.

How much weight are references taken into consideration when applying. Unfortunately I do not know anyone who uses this range.

Please read the online application:

References (List three, No relatives - Club Members preferred

Members aren't REQUIRED to be the references. If you don't know anyone there, just use 3 random references as it requests.

Please read the online application:

Members aren't REQUIRED to be the references. If you don't know anyone there, just use 3 random references as it requests.

Not to sound like a jerk but I did read the online app. I understand I need references. My question was do having club members as references put you ahead of others for a spot, thats why I asked 'how much weight'. Looking back it could have been worded better.

Not to sound like a jerk but I did read the online app. I understand I need references. My question was do having club members as references put you ahead of others for a spot, thats why I asked 'how much weight'. Looking back it could have been worded better.

Braintree doesn't work like that. You get to join unless there's some sort of problem with you (and in most cases a "problem" would mean you don't have an FID/LTC anymore). The only limiting factor is how many seats are available at the next safety meeting. Braintree doesn't cap membership and it isn't a secret squirrel society.

There are no "spots" at BR&P! There is no "quota" unlike some other clubs. There is no favoritism, allowing some but rejecting others. To be rejected for membership initially you'd have to come across as a big jerk. Once you are a member if you don't follow the rules and do damage to the club, you will be thrown out on your ear . . . it's rare, but has happened to a few people here and there.

When I joined BR&P, there was only one person who I knew was a member. After I joined, I found out that there were a lot of people who I knew that actually were members of BR&P. Membership roster is kept confidential, so it's impossible to find out who you know by looking at any list.

Don't overthink the application process, just join and be happy, enjoy the club and facilities.

FYI for BR&P members:

All de-leading activity is suspended for the Winter. [I got this info directly from the club president.] The rifle range remains to be done and one can assume that it will startup when Winter is over.

The far right pistol and plinking range and rifle range are open. The middle (pistol) range is closed until some work on the berm can be completed.

So the rifle range is still open for the time being?

Sleeping on your question and comments, I get the impression that you think BR&P might be run like a fraternity or sorority? That favored people get preference over others or that references are used like hazing to see if someone "has what it takes".

Nothing could be further from the truth.

BR&P is a melting pot of people . . . of all colors, male/female, ethnicity, ages across the spectrum, etc. To put it bluntly, nobody cares who you are, who you know, what you are, what you believe . . . as long as you follow the safety rules and club rules. Tons of really good people at the club.

Sleeping on your question and comments, I get the impression that you think BR&P might be run like a fraternity or sorority? That favored people get preference over others or that references are used like hazing to see if someone "has what it takes".

Nothing could be further from the truth.

BR&P is a melting pot of people . . . of all colors, male/female, ethnicity, ages across the spectrum, etc. To put it bluntly, nobody cares who you are, who you know, what you are, what you believe . . . as long as you follow the safety rules and club rules. Tons of really good people at the club.

+1 - 100% correct. I have been a member going on 2 years. Love the place.....

As far as the outdoor ranges are concerned, I spent the better part of the weekend with the snowblower clearing paths to the targets. The pistol range is completely usable. The rifle range trench runs all the way to the 100 yard target on position 10. hopefully this weekend I can extend the trench along behind the 100 yard target line. the snow at the 100 yard rifle targets was waist deep, but hopefully it will subside a little.

Hi M1groupie, I am a member at BRP as well. I am away this weekend and next week but I would gladly help you with the snow clearing when I am back in town. If that would be helpful, feel free to PM me here.

As far as the outdoor ranges are concerned, I spent the better part of the weekend with the snowblower clearing paths to the targets. The pistol range is completely usable. The rifle range trench runs all the way to the 100 yard target on position 10. hopefully this weekend I can extend the trench along behind the 100 yard target line. the snow at the 100 yard rifle targets was waist deep, but hopefully it will subside a little.

If you need help this weekend, I'm sure I can find time. As long as theres a straight path out to the 100yrd targets and the trench at the targets is dug, it should be sufficient. As long as people can get to their targets for right now, we can wait out the rest until the sun comes out again. Let me know.

Hey guys, I am currently a Boston Gun Club member (close to boston) interested in signing up also to be a BRG member. Is it worth driving an additional 15 minutes to travel too? Greg Derr recommended I check out the place, but the website states I need to apply to be a member first.

BRP

Hello all,
im a newb when it comes to shooting and was i have my potential gun club list down to a few choices...BRP being one of them. It has all that i could want in a club, but im curious... how busy is it here? i understand there are quite a few members from what i gather reading posts and researching the club. is there ever a problem waiting to shoot? how busy is it? maybe if a few members posted what day and time of day they usually go and how busy it usually is? that would be awesome, thanks!
-chris

Hello all,
im a newb when it comes to shooting and was i have my potential gun club list down to a few choices...BRP being one of them. It has all that i could want in a club, but im curious... how busy is it here? i understand there are quite a few members from what i gather reading posts and researching the club. is there ever a problem waiting to shoot? how busy is it? maybe if a few members posted what day and time of day they usually go and how busy it usually is? that would be awesome, thanks!
-chris

Hi Chris, welcome to NES, shooting and hopefully BR&P.

BR&P does indeed have >3700 members, but most all are what I call "paper members", they pay their dues and are never seen again. Perhaps their chief wants proof of club membership to issue their LTC and that is the reason. Most years, they run "numbers" from the cardkey access log and the latest numbers I heard were that 500 unique badges were swiped in 2009, with only 250 unique badges being swiped more than 10 times that year.

The two indoor ranges have a total of 24 shooting positions.

Unless there is an "event" happening, I've never seen any of the ranges crowded so that anyone would have to wait. I am usually there on a Saturday or Sunday although occasionally during the workday, either teaching or dropping by after doing some work in the neighborhood.

Regular events where general membership can't use a range:

- Pistol (Thursday eve) or Rifle (Tuesday eve) during the league season (~1/2 matches are away and range is available) when "new" range is unavailable.
- Second Amendment Sisters on 3rd Saturday afternoon in "old" range, with some "spill-over" to the "new" range.
- CMP matches on 3rd Saturday AM to early PM on rifle range.
- Juniors program on Friday nights using the "new" range.
- Occasional other matches, usually posted on http://www.brp.org/Calendar/tabid/1137/Default.aspx

Membership monthly meetings have an attendance of 50-60 people (and free dinner for members).

There are usually a few people chatting, having coffee and watching TV in the new clubhouse most all the time, but they usually aren't shooting (other than the bull). They typically have a lot of gun knowledge and can be very helpful if you have problems or a question while you are there.

If you want a tour, send me an Email (link off any of my posts, click on my username), I will be at BR&P teaching on Saturday, so either earlier (12-1PM) or afterwards (3PM) could work if I know in advance . . . otherwise I will be there the following Saturday and ~!0:30AM to 3PM would be fine.

Hello all,
-chris
There are two indoor range buildings. Unless there is a match going on it's never once been "full" even on a Saturday afternoon. That's in over 10 years.

I often go on Monday nights and there isn't usually more than a couple of people there: sometimes I'd have to turn on the lights. Ditto Saturday nights.

Only once did I have to wait for a stall, and it was because there was a rifle match.

I just waited patiently for someone to leave and got a spot in about 10 minutes.

Back
Top Bottom