Braintree Rifle & Pistol Club - Braintree, MA

Thanks so much for the prompt responses, and thank you for the warm welcome!
That's certainly good news that its not always crowded... brp is now one of my top 2 choices and I'm going to try to take Lens' offer up on that tour. Only thing holding me back is the distance, it will about 30 min to get to with no traffic...damn southeast expressway... living just north of boston definitely has its drawbacks

I make that drive too. It's not too bad if you go at the right time. I was there this past Sunday around 3pm and no one was at the rifle range except me. Then one other person showed up. It's good club. The only negative thing about it is no range past 100 yard, no action shooting, and range officers must be present to shoot outdoors. But given the location, it's understandable why those restrictions exist.

If you are north of Boston, consider Mass Rifle and Woburn Sportsmen's.

mass rifle is my other top choice... although i have been reading that they always have problems with their indoor range? and that is probably where a lot of my time will be spent. my father was a member of woburn sportsmens about 14 years ago and i can remember going with him a few times and not being able to shoot because of the events there, and thats what he remembers most about the club to this day... people feel free to correct me on these points as i dont know if things have changed

There is a long thread here about Mass Rifle, which you should read. I'm not a member at either Mass Rifle or WSA.

I've shot High Power at WSA. They have a High Power competition most Sunday mornings which takes up the entire 200 yard range. But they also have an outdoor pistol, indoor pistol, and trap ranges.

Thanks so much for the prompt responses, and thank you for the warm welcome!
That's certainly good news that its not always crowded... brp is now one of my top 2 choices and I'm going to try to take Lens' offer up on that tour. Only thing holding me back is the distance, it will about 30 min to get to with no traffic...damn southeast expressway... living just north of boston definitely has its drawbacks

I drive to BRP from Wakefield - and have had the same positive experiences as others who replied earlier.

Depending upon where you are north of Boston, you might also want to consider Harvard Sportsmen's Association.

Harvard is a good 45 minutes away or longer, i live in somerville, so BRP would only be about 25-30 tops, no traffic, and MRA would be 15-20 tops... im willing to take the extra 10-15min ride to BRP if its worth it

@M1911
ive read both long threads on NES about MRA, as well as the threads on MRA's own forum, seems a lot of the posts are getting older, which could be good news or bad, haha

I plan to tour both clubs and make a decision then, although braintree is looking better with the lower rates, haha

I plan to tour both clubs and make a decision then, although braintree is looking better with the lower rates, haha

I sent you two Emails wrt BR&P tour with no response. If you want to meet me tomorrow, I need you to respond as that is the only reason why I am heading over to the club as my student had to reschedule.

Just wanted to inform of my positive experience at BRP. My friend took me there a few weeks ago where I shot for the first time. There was a small safety class of 4-5 students in the lobby/lounge and just one other person using the indoor pistol range. I'll be handing in my LTC application this week, then when that is taken care of I'll be applying to join the BRP.

I'm working on getting my LTC and would like to join BRP. My question is do they rent guns? I'm still trying to figure out what to purchase. Also depend on restrictions.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

I'm working on getting my LTC and would like to join BRP. My question is do they rent guns? I'm still trying to figure out what to purchase. Also depend on restrictions.

No rentals. Brpc is a private club not a business. However, once you join you'll find that people are very generous about letting you try their guns if you are polite and show interest. Also go green and come to a shoot...best opportunity ever to try a variety of firearms.

The only gun ranges in the area where you can rent guns are:
- American Firearms School in N. Attleboro
- Bob's in Salisbury
- Manchester Firing Line, NH

I also offer it (at BR&P) as a "training service".

In all cases, it is an expensive proposition to go this way vs. having a few shooting friends who will take you as a guest to their club and let you shoot their toys. However, it is also an expensive proposition to buy a gun and later find out it's not for you . . . doesn't fit your hand well, you can't shoot it accurately, etc.

Nicole is right, the cheapest method is becoming a paid NES Member and attending a shoot. We recently had a shoot in Mansfield in March and the next one is in NH at the end of this month. No other shoots for NES (paid) Members are scheduled yet for the near term.

The only gun ranges in the area where you can rent guns are:
- American Firearms School in N. Attleboro
- Bob's in Salisbury
- Manchester Firing Line, NH

I also offer it (at BR&P) as a "training service".

In all cases, it is an expensive proposition to go this way vs. having a few shooting friends who will take you as a guest to their club and let you shoot their toys. However, it is also an expensive proposition to buy a gun and later find out it's not for you . . . doesn't fit your hand well, you can't shoot it accurately, etc.

Nicole is right, the cheapest method is becoming a paid NES Member and attending a shoot. We recently had a shoot in Mansfield in March and the next one is in NH at the end of this month. No other shoots for NES (paid) Members are scheduled yet for the near term.

I made a trip out to American Firearms and that cost me about $65. Oouch!

Ok, I'm interested in becoming a paid member but without my ltc/fid I can't buy bullets to bring with me. Can I go to the shoot and pay $$ for bullets?

I made a trip out to American Firearms and that cost me about $65. Oouch!

Ok, I'm interested in becoming a paid member but without my ltc/fid I can't buy bullets to bring with me. Can I go to the shoot and pay $$ for bullets?

$65 is cheap for what you want to do.

It is up to the gun owner at the shoots if the want to charge/give away ammo . . . and how much they are willing to part with. At NH, they may have a dealer there and NH laws don't require any licenses to own/possess ammo . . . just don't bring it back to MA or you could face a felony (w/o your LTC).

Yeah, I'm head back this Friday. Want to fire off a couple of sig's.

So, I read brp is 24x7. That's nice to know. Really considering joint b/c I'm right in Quincy and this would be an easy commute.

So, I read brp is 24x7. That's nice to know. Really considering joint b/c I'm right in Quincy and this would be an easy commute.

The indoor ranges are that way. Outdoor ranges run in the day light hours, and I think Sunday mornings and holidays they are shut down. You also need a RO on duty to use the outdoor ranges, too. A quick call to the clubhouse gets you info on whether there is one on duty or not.

I think Sunday mornings and holidays they are shut down

Not quite right. No outdoor shooting before Noon on Sundays or Holidays . . . so they are open in the afternoons as long as a RO is present. ROs are scheduled for all hours that the ranges should be open (usually 2/shift), but we are volunteers and life sometimes gets in the way and if an RO can't show up, you may not shoot outdoors until a RO comes on duty.

Two thirds of the outdoor ranges are shut down. The rifle range and the middle range. It's getting crowded on the short range.
I would guess they might be open in time to sight in your rifle for hunting season. It's a long shot, but might be doable.

Two thirds of the outdoor ranges are shut down. The rifle range and the middle range. It's getting crowded on the short range.
I would guess they might be open in time to sight in your rifle for hunting season. It's a long shot, but might be doable.

If you don't like the place, find someplace else that you do like!!

From www.brp.org (or if you bothered to go to meetings you would know):

Up-To-The-Minute News
The rifle range will be closed for lead removal from April 18th 2011 for approximately 3 weeks depending on the weather. The only outdoor range that will be open at this time is the small pistol and plinking range.

Thanks Richard for the heads up about the range closings. Hope to see you down there one of these days.

If you don't like the place, find someplace else that you do like!!

[rolleyes]

well that sucks. Looks like I won't be function testing and sighting in my FAL build before the Monadnock shoot. [sad2]

This may or not be timely enough to be helpful, but if you can make it over to Mansfield F&G sometime this week, I'm offering to meet you there and let you shoot at 50 yds as my guest. Sorry I can't offer the 100 yd range but it's "down" until they rebuild the pavilion (after the roof collapse) and that is going to take an unknown amount of time.

Contact me via Email off this post if you want to do this.

Not quite right. No outdoor shooting before Noon on Sundays or Holidays . . . so they are open in the afternoons as long as a RO is present. ROs are scheduled for all hours that the ranges should be open (usually 2/shift), but we are volunteers and life sometimes gets in the way and if an RO can't show up, you may not shoot outdoors until a RO comes on duty.

RO? you guys don't trust each other to use the range by yourselves? I wouldn't be happy if I wanted to go shooting by myself and I was told I needed a baby sitter to make sure I clean up my brass[rofl]

RO? you guys don't trust each other to use the range by yourselves? I wouldn't be happy if I wanted to go shooting by myself and I was told I needed a baby sitter to make sure I clean up my brass[rofl]

The "ROs required" rule was implemented as a proactive response after .45 bullets were found lodged in a commercial building 660 yds beyond the pistol range firing line. The range was shut down for >1 year when that happened, some re-engineering of the backstop, etc. and the RO rule was put in place so that the club has the ability to state that all the shooters were behaving themselves when the next set of bullets hit that building.

It's been repeated a few times now, and although the club, NRA range experts and police can't prove it, it is most likely trespassers somewhere along the RR right-of-way using the building as a "back stop" while shooting from the woods.

But if you are a gun club, you are "guilty" automatically for anything that happens in your area, even if it didn't happen from your members or your property.

Ask the club in Reading area (many years ago), Scituate club, Massapoag and Sharon clubs (many years ago) how that all worked out.

If you belong to a club that is miles from any humans, be thankful. Most clubs in Eastern MA are close to housing and that leads to trouble for the clubs.

-------

As for cleanup of brass, the ROs aren't there to be maids to the shooters (although many act like that is our job), nor is our job to tell them to clean up. We are there to ensure that safety is maintained. HOWEVER, yes we have been told to remind shooters that their mother doesn't live at the club to clean up after themselves and that it is their responsibility to clean up and not leave the place in a mess.

Only at NES Shoots (elsewhere, never going to happen at BR&P) do I see shooters automatically, without being told, clean up the ranges after the shoots so that they are cleaner than when they arrived. Something to be VERY PROUD of this particular community!

----------

Not every club is for every shooter. Visit clubs near you and if you don't like their rules, find one where you do like the rules. Real simple.

Im still confused how is an RO gonna stop a .45 bullet from hitting a house?

Not a house, it has been Caradonna's warehouse/office in an industrial park.

RO is there to make sure nobody does anything stupid (i.e. shooting up to the sky, spraying the ground, etc.). Ask Derek sometime about the bozo he saw that was spraying the ground on the rifle range (he was a BR&P member when he lived in MA) . . . he reported it and that bozo was booted out of the club.

RO can also add credibility to the "nobody was doing anything stupid" or "nobody was shooting a .45 on that range when it allegedly happened" denial that it came from our range.

BTW, I don't make the rules and if I were in charge, I seriously doubt that I'd require ROs be present to allow shooting. BUT, I'm NOT in charge and I don't know every fact of what went down, etc. I do know why the rule was implemented and as a result I signed up to VOLUNTEER to be an RO with a shift/month so that myself and others would have a place to shoot.

I still think that BR&P is an awesome club.

Back
Top Bottom