• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Braintree Rifle & Pistol Club - Braintree, MA

Was at the range today with 80+ new members.

The vice president said they are aware of the target holders moving; they have an idea to fix it and it should be implemented shortly.

7 yards is gone, the 7 yards is now 9 yards (6 feet farther). It's not a radical change.

The main problem with the targets staying on the bolts is that the pointy tips some of the nails which hold the baffles together protrude out the back of the baffle, and the target leg cannot fully get onto the bolt head. we need to get out there with a grinder to grind them flush, but it was felt that it is more importand to get the range going first. the bolt heads will also be unscrewed a couple of turns to give more surface.

A picture is worth a 1000 words!

Here are some pictures of the Pistol Range as of today. Shooting distances are reported to be 9 yds and 47 feet. You hang the target holders upside down from bolts thru the back of the overhead baffles. There are holes drilled into the legs of the target holders.

http://photobucket.com/BRP_Pistol_Range_0709

I haven't shot there yet, just took a look-see after dinner and before the meeting began.

Does anyone know when the work on the middle pistol range is slated to begin? Someone was telling me they are going to extend the overhang, but it does not appear they have started.

Work "started" on the middle range months ago.

The eyebrow is up, wood removed, etc.

I was told that they were waiting on some items that were ordered. No idea what or when it is expected. Come to the meeting in September and ask about it, that's the best way to learn what's going on.

Meanwhile folks are really enjoying the pistol range that was re-done.

You may wish to take a closer look at the middle range. Some of the changes are tough to spot if you don't look closely. The footings for the heavy steel were put in 2 weeks ago. The heavy steel framework was put up a week ago reaching almost to the backstop. The wood baffles still need to be hung frpm the I-Beams, and the ground smoothing work done, but it's pretty close. The dirt has been deposited in front of the ground baffle which remains. the old first set of ground baffles were removed as not necessary.

Be advised however, that the middle range will still be primarily a competition pistol range, with positions only at 25 and 50 yards. The layer of ground rubber will be spread on the ground on both pistol ranges at the same time as a final step. Not something I was in favor of, but it will happen.

Ross - club secretary

I am a member at BRP, but I haven't gone very much. When I first joined, it was mentioned that people tend to shoot clays on Sundays and that if we wanted to try it out, we could probably borrow someone's gun (we would obviously either pay them for ammo or bring our own). Does anyone know if this is indeed true?

The trap houses are usually open on Sunday afternoon and Tuesday nights. Members can shoot a round of clays [25] for $2.00. I'm sure any one there will let you use their shotgun. Just bring a couple of boxes of 20 and 12 gauge

I use the Lincoln Machine, which is the one that you can use any time when the trap houses are closed. If you want to use it and need a shotgun PM me and I'll meet you there and you can use one of mine.

I am a member at BRP, but I haven't gone very much. When I first joined, it was mentioned that people tend to shoot clays on Sundays and that if we wanted to try it out, we could probably borrow someone's gun (we would obviously either pay them for ammo or bring our own). Does anyone know if this is indeed true?

Trap shooting takes place most Sundays (barring weather) at noon. If you show up tomorrow, you're welcome to borrow my gun - I've got ammo, or you can bring any commercial 12 ga loads in 7 1/2, 8, or 9 shot. You'll need to pay the club $2 per round of 25 birds.

I'm the short brunette.

Yes, of course. We're a hardy bunch at BR&P!! [laugh]

Seriously Tyngsboro is the only range that I'm aware of that shuts down for the Winter for fear of skip-shots.

I regularly shoot outdoors at BR&P and Mansfield F&G thru the Winter. [This year I'm prepared for MF&G . . . I bought ice cleats so that I won't kill myself walking to the targets. Surface must be clay, it melts and refreezes daily. NOT an issue at BR&P however.]

Yes, of course. We're a hardy bunch at BR&P!! [laugh]

Seriously Tyngsboro is the only range that I'm aware of that shuts down for the Winter for fear of skip-shots.

I regularly shoot outdoors at BR&P and Mansfield F&G thru the Winter. [This year I'm prepared for MF&G . . . I bought ice cleats so that I won't kill myself walking to the targets. Surface must be clay, it melts and refreezes daily. NOT an issue at BR&P however.]

Thanks LenS

I am a new member and shot last week indoors (raining like hell) after the orientation. Never shot outdoors and would like to this week. I know the pistol team meets on Thursday; do they use the new indoor range only?

Welcome to the club.

Yes, the teams that meet at night must shoot indoors as it gets dark much too early these days. The outdoor ranges shut down ~5PM these days, until Spring when we get more hours of daylight.

Pistol shoots home and away matches, but they do use the new indoor range when they are home matches. Ditto with the rifle team (I think that they meet on Tuesdays, but best check the website).

They try real hard to always have one indoor range open for general membership use when there is an event going on.

Rifle shoots Tuesday, Pistol Thursday. They both shoot in the new (larger) indoor range. The schedules are posted on the bulletin boards and on the website. If you show up at 6:30 on a Tuesday and there are 5 rifle cases on the tables already then it is a home match. If you own any kind of a 22 rifle less than 8.5 lbs with greater than 2 lb trigger pull come to our matches and shoot the new light rifle division.
Check:
http://www.southshorerpl.com/schedule.html
for schedules for all the league matches.

I'm interested in joining the pistol team. Would I just show up and shoot or am I required to talk to someone beforehand? Also, since I'm new to this what are the exact procedures? I know .22 one handed, time limit? Any info would be much appreciated. Thanks,
-Mark

I'm interested in joining the pistol team. Would I just show up and shoot or am I required to talk to someone beforehand? Also, since I'm new to this what are the exact procedures? I know .22 one handed, time limit? Any info would be much appreciated. Thanks,
-Mark

Show up one night for home match. We're home tonight, 11/5, 11/19, 12/3, and 12/10. You will need 30 rounds minimum, bring extra in case you have an alibi. Corral someone with a Braintree badge and tell them you're a newb and want to join the team. They'll set you up with someone who can explain the course of fire and you can watch the first line shoot. Do join us - it's lots of fun and a great group of people. Also, we have doughnuts. [grin]

Show up one night for home match. We're home tonight, 11/5, 11/19, 12/3, and 12/10. You will need 30 rounds minimum, bring extra in case you have an alibi. Corral someone with a Braintree badge and tell them you're a newb and want to join the team. They'll set you up with someone who can explain the course of fire and you can watch the first line shoot. Do join us - it's lots of fun and a great group of people. Also, we have doughnuts. [grin]

I'm thinking of going down tonight to shoot. Is the "Old" indoor range open or is that being used for the match too?

-Mark

Hi Mark as Nicole said just come down on a home match ( they are listed on the clubs website) and ask for me (Lou) or Joe T and we'll set you up. I'm usually there early on a home match so if you come by between 4pm and 6pm I could spend some time explaining things to you.

Lou

Can you use the outdoor ranges WITHOUT a range officer on duty? If not, how is BRP with providing range officers.

NO, an RO MUST be present to use any of the outdoor ranges (exceptions are archery and trap). After a number of "stray rounds" hit a building (NRA and most of us are convinced it came from trespassers near the building, but I digress) back some years ago (the first time), the BOD PROMISED the building owner and the Braintree PD that no shooting would be allowed there without ROs on duty. So we are unfortunately stuck with that situation in perpetuity.

ROs (I am one) are strictly volunteers. We are assigned shifts, but the Chief RO understands that life sometimes gets in the way and occasionally an RO can't make his/her shift and thus the outdoor ranges may be closed. The Chief RO tries to get coverage if given advanced warning of such a situation, but volunteers can't always be found.

It's always best to give a call to the clubhouse (NOT the published number, that goes to an answering machine upstairs in the office) and ask if a RO is currently on duty before venturing out to do some shooting.

This is why I ponied up and volunteered to be an RO, to help myself and others maintain open ranges. New ROs are always welcome, just send Joe an Email.

NO, an RO MUST be present to use any of the outdoor ranges (exceptions are archery and trap). After a number of "stray rounds" hit a building (NRA and most of us are convinced it came from trespassers near the building, but I digress) back some years ago (the first time), the BOD PROMISED the building owner and the Braintree PD that no shooting would be allowed there without ROs on duty. So we are unfortunately stuck with that situation in perpetuity.

ROs (I am one) are strictly volunteers. We are assigned shifts, but the Chief RO understands that life sometimes gets in the way and occasionally an RO can't make his/her shift and thus the outdoor ranges may be closed. The Chief RO tries to get coverage if given advanced warning of such a situation, but volunteers can't always be found.

It's always best to give a call to the clubhouse (NOT the published number, that goes to an answering machine upstairs in the office) and ask if a RO is currently on duty before venturing out to do some shooting.

This is why I ponied up and volunteered to be an RO, to help myself and others maintain open ranges. New ROs are always welcome, just send Joe an Email.

Thanks LenS!

Can you shoot while you are on duty as a RO? I would love to help out and volunteer, but I am so new to shooting I would probably be better off waiting.

Thanks again.

Thanks LenS!

Can you shoot while you are on duty as a RO? I would love to help out and volunteer, but I am so new to shooting I would probably be better off waiting.

Thanks again.

The official rule is no, but . . .

- Example: When I was on duty last Saturday, CMP was using the rifle range and they police themselves, even though we do a "walk thru" a couple times/shift. NOBODY else showed up to use the outdoor pistol range!! So the other RO (there are usually 2 of us on duty, at least on the weekends) did some shooting first. When he was done and a while later, I did some shooting. This was during our shift.

- If the place is busy then typically no, we wait until our shift is over before shooting so we can do our job.

- If however, there are only a couple of other shooters present on the pistol range and I want to shoot, then I will observe them for a while and if they seem to be following all the rules, I'll do some shooting. I may put my guns down (my Wife is with me to watch our stuff, she's a BR&P member too) and walk over to check on others a few times. [NOTE: I do not hover over shooters, just watch from the side and only speak up if I see a problem.]

- Whether I'm on duty or not, I always watch what others are doing for my own safety. I build a comfort level with folks and if I see that they are safety conscious, I proceed accordingly. If I see unsafe activity, I will talk with them (or just leave the area, assuming it's not at BR&P and they appear to be yahoos). [e.g. I stopped by another club that I was a member of and observed a small group of guys that were talking and shooting and gave me the impression of being "know it alls". From what I picked up (electronic ears are great for this) I believe that they were LEOs. Some went downrange to change targets while at least one was handling a firearm on the bench, other guns were benched with actions closed! I just hi-tailed it out of there. One thing I've learned from many years of working with LEOs . . . you can't tell belligerent LEOs that they are doing something wrong, and I had no authority at that club (was merely a member).]

Went down this afternoon and did a little indoor shooting. Afterwards did a quick drive by of the outdoor ranges to see how they turned out, Looks nice. Also saw a van with an NES sticker and Obama LOL. Seems someone braved the weather.

Went down this afternoon and did a little indoor shooting. Afterwards did a quick drive by of the outdoor ranges to see how they turned out, Looks nice. Also saw a van with an NES sticker and Obama LOL. Seems someone braved the weather.

If it was a grey van that was me.... I have RO duty every 4th Saturday, second shift....

Marcus5Aurelius was there with me shooting the SW1911 and the S&W 500 and G3 came as well with a number of his cool toys.....[smile]

Also had a number of guys that I suspect were hunters sighting in.... Not a real busy day but pretty steady all the way up to dusk....

BTW, shooting the 500 at dusk is a hoot.....[smile]

Back
Top Bottom