Braintree Rifle and Pistol Club

WARNING: BR&P New clubhouse and range will be closed today due to Hunter Ed class. Expect the parking lot to be over-full as well and CMP has the rifle range until either 1PM or 3PM depending on how many CMP match shooters show up.
Also be advised that Second Amendment Sisters take over the Old clubhouse/range at 1PM so members will only be able to shoot on the outdoor ranges this afternoon.

None of us seemed to know about the Hunter Ed class until "it happened" and even the club president wasn't happy as it seems it was full at the same time it was listed by DFW and many club members weren't able to get into the class.
I got an email on 12/18/15 from BRP saying to keep a lookout on the DFW website as they would be offering the class. I called the day it showed up on the site and it was already full but I got waitlisted.

Well, I ALWAYS advise people to show up for the 1st class as there is always a considerable number of no-shows. When I stopped in the clubhouse for coffee on Saturday they were all out of the building at various tables/demos so I looked at the roster and noted numerous no-shows (lack of check-marks beside names).

Hunter Ed is always booked solid almost immediately no matter where it is taught. Thus, my recommendation above.

Got an email the other day that there were water issues at the club due to a collapsed well. Does anyone know if this has been resolved?

Those of us who attended the meeting on Monday were told that there were delays getting the permit from Quincy and it would be a while before we had a new well dug. No dates given.

There are still water issues. There are porta-johns outside the clubhouses for members use until the problems are resolved. The root of the problem is a collapsed well. Re-drilling a well is the quickest way of resolving it. I'll update again when timing of work/permits become clearer. The members of the e-bd are on top of the situation.

Water update: There are 3 clear paths to restoring water service at the club. All of them are being investigated with an eye towards minimal inconvenience to club members and permanency of the solution. A water truck has been hooked up to supply facilities water while the work is being done. More details to follow as the strategy becomes finalized.

If I'm not in CMP, is it best to just avoid going to the 100 yd range on Saturday mornings (10AM)? Or is it okay to just take an open bench?

CMP is a club organized event and club organized events take over an entire range for their events.

Also there are always more than 10 shooters on the 1st string. Always two strings and sometimes three.

I never bring rifles to BR&P on the day of a match, unless they are .22RF that I can shoot anywhere.

The CMP matches are open to everyone so TomMontana can come and shoot the match if he'd like. Rifle, ammo and targets are provided for the low low cost of $25/50 rounds of 223Rem or 30-06. Coaching is provided as needed. Match is shot in reverse order of normal for the first string, so it consists of 20 rounds prone slow, 10 rounds rapid sitting, 10 rounds rapid prone and 10 rounds slow standing. The rifle range is closed to all but match shooters during the matches. They are mostly wrapped up by 1 or 2 pm but don't count on it. Even if one shooter is on the line the entire range is dedicated to the match. Also the match is shot forward of the regular firing line so shooting from the bench area would be unsafe.

Last edited:
ugghhh, my GPS sent me into the bowels of some condo complex, by the time I figured out how to get to this place it was 9:00 and the place was a zoo, I couldn't even find a place to park.
Guess I'll be sticking with Maasapoag

What a complete joke this club is. poor facilities and poor leadership.

They insist that a range officer is needed in order for the outside facilities to be used. Fine. I was told that it's VERY rare for a range officer to not be on duty when I joined 1.5 years ago. SEVERAL times i've tried to use the rifle range and there were no range officers on duty. You would think that it would be a club's 1st priority to make sure their shooting facilities are up and running 100% of the time. Nope. Nothing but excuses.

Today I check the web site's calendar to make sure that no special events are taking place. I arrived about 9:20. I see that there is a sign up saying the outdoor range is closed and that it would open at about 2pm. I drop in the club house to ask why and two older guys in the club house says there is no reason why the range would be closed and that i should go find out why it wasn't on the calendar or the events board.

I drive out to the rifle range and see that the CMP clinic/match is set up. This is at 9:30am. The Clinic/Match starts at 10. At first, I walk over to inquire if maybe I can still shoot on one of the lanes but realize that's not an option before even asking. I figured that I would politely engage the lead instructor to ask why the event wasn't posted on the club's calendar or events board in the club house. This guy instantly copped an attitude as if I was bothering him. He insisted it was posted on the calendars. I didn't argue, I didn't push the issue with him. A second instructor says that i should jump in and join the clinic. Which i would have LOVED to have done. Nope. The lead instructor insists that it's too late to sign up. This is a half hour before the clinic starts.

I shoot an email to the club through their website. The ONLY way to contact anyone there if you don't happen to catch someone in the club house. This is what it said word for word:

"Please start posting the CMP clinics on the calendar. There is no reason a casual yet supportive member would know that the rifle range is closed during prime shooting season for 5 hours every month. I was there to shoot my own personal rifles but I would have thought i could have at least been able to join the clinic but was all but turned away. Shooting had not even begun."

This is the president of the club's response by email. No balls to call the phone number I left on my email. A keyboard tough guy to say the least. I understand the instructor may have had a bad day or i read him wrong but a president of a club engaging his members this way is incredible:

"The CMP matches are posted on the website they happen on the same day every month. There are also signs in the clubhouse. Stop your ****ing whining
Sent from my iPhone"

The CMP info is several clicks deep on their web page. It should be posted on the online calendar.
Obviously, I'll be looking for new club.

Edit:
I'm just blown away. Seriously. This is someone who runs a large gun club.

Please understand that the "contact us" feature on the site says nothing about going to the club's president and you would think that it would direct to whoever runs the website.

My answer to the email was this:
"That's a great response from a club's president and a wonderful way to engage a member.
The only listing of the CMP program is buried several clicks deep on the club's website.
Even the instructor thought it would have been and should be listed on the calendar.

2 members in the club house had no idea and insisted the range was open."

This is the response:
"Again, stop your whining. I would suggest you reread your email. No one likes being told what to do as opposed to being asked. We go to great links at the club to make sure all members are informed. The DCM has been operating for over 25 years on the same Saturday of every month. I don't get paid to listen to you complain about something you have no right to complain about. My response stands."

I'm not sure how I told anyone what to do. I brought a legitimate concern up to the "contact us" feature on their website because there is no other way to contact someone from the club. Even for their members.

To be completely clear. My intention is to put this info out there in the hopes that any one wishing to join this facility will know that there are MUCH better in the area.

Last edited:
Toe Knee

Too bad you don't know how to read the large sign above the whiteboard. It lists EVERY CMP match date for the year. It is ALWAYS the 3rd Saturday and starts at 9AM . . . 9-10AM is their instructional part of CMP for shooters who are new to the CMP match. That is likely why they refused to let you shoot the match when you showed up at 9:30AM.

I will readily admit that the calendar is severely lacking in listing all the regular events (CMP, pistol, rifle matches, etc.). That is a legitimate gripe and one that the webmaster should address.

As for range officers, we are all volunteers and get paid $0.00/year for our efforts. Sometimes life gets in the way . . . illness, deaths, family events, vacations, work, etc. So yes there may be a few occasions when a RO can't make it and sometimes it comes at the last minute and a substitute can't be found, that's life. You obviously like to bitch about it . . . when the RO mandate (actually generated by NRA's range experts evaluating our safety after shots hit Carradonna's warehouse downrange from the pistol range) occurred myself and others ponied up and volunteered. Also apparently you don't pay any attention to the club's range rules either since they clearly state that there is NO SHOOTING before 10AM on the outdoor ranges on Saturdays! Only the CMP shooters were supposed to be on any outdoor ranges and as I stated above, they were undergoing instruction about the match.

As for the handwritten sign about the ranges being closed, the folks that manage the CMP match wrote that sign on that paper and chose their words poorly. That is a legitimate gripe and perhaps was the reason that we only had ~8 people show up to shoot on the pistol ranges during the 2-1/2 hours I was there today.

I was the range officer on duty today from 10AM to 12:30PM when I was relieved by another RO. I turned the steel sign around at exactly 10AM. Had I found you up there shooting in violation of the range rules, you would have been facing the BOD for possible expulsion from the club. Again you apparently don't know how to read signs and therefore would be much better off elsewhere where you can join someplace that has no rules for you to violate.

Last edited:
The whole operation is run by volunteers. The club has been reaching out to try to get more members involved - maybe the website would have more info if somebody stepped up to improve it.

Any reason for the outside ranges to be closed should be posted on the website's calendar period. In fact there used to be a posting on the site that said something like "any scheduled closing will be listed on the calendar but call ahead to make double sure". There was another member leaving in a black jeep shrugging his shoulders at the sign posted at the out door range's entrance. Afterwards I did find that 2 regular sheets of paper were used to print out the dates. One on a cork board with HUNDREDS of for sale items and is easily missed. If you mean the white board that looks like a sub shop's menu, no i've never noticed them.

Range officers. Never had an issue with any one of them. Very nice guys. In fact, If i ever encountered you I'm sure we got along and offered my brass to you. So please don't make stuff up.

I was told by 2 older members that i should probably go see why they saw no reason for the entire out door facility would be shut down. I did that. Spoke to someone who had a badge around their neck and left. They offered no info that the out door pistol facility would be open.

I NEVER would have been shooting outside permitted hours so again, Don't make things up and make it look like i was out of line taking 2 senior member's advice of going to see what was going on.

With all that said, the response i got via email is bullshit. It was a simple suggestion and whoever responded is an *******.

This has NOTHING to do with range officers. Very little to do with my cmp encounter. Everything to do with how things were handled at that club today.

Last edited:
The whole operation is run by volunteers. The club has been reaching out to try to get more members involved - maybe the website would have more info if somebody stepped up to improve it.

I understand that and shit happens. I actually offered (in passing) to a guy who helps run the orientations. web design/communications is part of my job. I offered, they said it's already taken care of but thanks. I said thanks and that was it.

It's 2016. Any club that bothers having a website shouldn't be relying on whiteboards to list their range closures. Volunteer or no, a website is an easy thing to update.

What a complete joke this club is. poor facilities and poor leadership.

They insist that a range officer is needed in order for the outside facilities to be used. Fine. I was told that it's VERY rare for a range officer to not be on duty when I joined 1.5 years ago. SEVERAL times i've tried to use the rifle range and there were no range officers on duty. You would think that it would be a club's 1st priority to make sure their shooting facilities are up and running 100% of the time. Nope. Nothing but excuses.

Today I check the web site's calendar to make sure that no special events are taking place. I arrived about 9:20. I see that there is a sign up saying the outdoor range is closed and that it would open at about 2pm. I drop in the club house to ask why and two older guys in the club house says there is no reason why the range would be closed and that i should go find out why it wasn't on the calendar or the events board.

I drive out to the rifle range and see that the CMP clinic/match is set up. This is at 9:30am. The Clinic/Match starts at 10. At first, I walk over to inquire if maybe I can still shoot on one of the lanes but realize that's not an option before even asking. I figured that I would politely engage the lead instructor to ask why the event wasn't posted on the club's calendar or events board in the club house. This guy instantly copped an attitude as if I was bothering him. He insisted it was posted on the calendars. I didn't argue, I didn't push the issue with him. A second instructor says that i should jump in and join the clinic. Which i would have LOVED to have done. Nope. The lead instructor insists that it's too late to sign up. This is a half hour before the clinic starts.

I shoot an email to the club through their website. The ONLY way to contact anyone there if you don't happen to catch someone in the club house. This is what it said word for word:

"Please start posting the CMP clinics on the calendar. There is no reason a casual yet supportive member would know that the rifle range is closed during prime shooting season for 5 hours every month. I was there to shoot my own personal rifles but I would have thought i could have at least been able to join the clinic but was all but turned away. Shooting had not even begun."

This is the president of the club's response by email. No balls to call the phone number I left on my email. A keyboard tough guy to say the least. I understand the instructor may have had a bad day or i read him wrong but a president of a club engaging his members this way is incredible:

"The CMP matches are posted on the website they happen on the same day every month. There are also signs in the clubhouse. Stop your ****ing whining
Sent from my iPhone"

The CMP info is several clicks deep on their web page. It should be posted on the online calendar.
Obviously, I'll be looking for new club.

Edit:
I'm just blown away. Seriously. This is someone who runs a large gun club.

Please understand that the "contact us" feature on the site says nothing about going to the club's president and you would think that it would direct to whoever runs the website.

My answer to the email was this:
"That's a great response from a club's president and a wonderful way to engage a member.
The only listing of the CMP program is buried several clicks deep on the club's website.
Even the instructor thought it would have been and should be listed on the calendar.

2 members in the club house had no idea and insisted the range was open."

This is the response:
"Again, stop your whining. I would suggest you reread your email. No one likes being told what to do as opposed to being asked. We go to great links at the club to make sure all members are informed. The DCM has been operating for over 25 years on the same Saturday of every month. I don't get paid to listen to you complain about something you have no right to complain about. My response stands."

I'm not sure how I told anyone what to do. I brought a legitimate concern up to the "contact us" feature on their website because there is no other way to contact someone from the club. Even for their members.

To be completely clear. My intention is to put this info out there in the hopes that any one wishing to join this facility will know that there are MUCH better in the area.

[rofl2] Classic, bitch about it here and then go and start another thread afterwards and bitch about it there.

Let me try and help you out, this was a failure on your part for not being observant enough in the first place. Those signs with the dates on them have always been there(at least in the three years I've been a member), it isn't the club presidents fault or anyone else's that you've never taken notice of them.

If this is the most difficult thing you've had to deal with in life you've certainly lived a charmed f***ing life, best of luck at the next club you join and enjoy the fuddery pretty much everywhere else on the south shore. [laugh]

Back
Top Bottom