• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Braintree Rifle and Pistol Club

BRP E-bd meets first Monday of the month, all ranges are open. Member meeting is 2nd Monday, dinner is served before the meeting (at no cost). We ask that no one shoot during members meeting because if you are at the club, you should come to the meeting. It rarely goes over 45 minutes. Old Colony Collectors meets 3rd Monday, ranges are all open. Rifle team shoots Tuesday nights from 7-10 in season (fall/winter) in range 2, range 1 is still open. 2-hand pistol shoots Wednesdays nights in season in range 2, range 1 is open. Pistol Team shoots Thursday nights 7-10 in range 2, 1 is open. Juniors meet every Friday 7-9 year round in range 2, 1 is open. CMP meets every month except Jan and Feb on the 3rd Saturday on the rifle range, all other ranges are open. This schedule has been in place for 30+ years.
With very very few exceptions when an event is in progress it is taking up only one of 2 or several ranges.
E-Bd meetings are open to anyone that wants to attend. I've been an E-Bd member for 13 years and can count on one hand the number of members that have showed up to observe in those years.
Out of ~6k members maybe 60 show up for members meeting and most only because it's a free dinner and combined with a RO meeting after. Before we offered food with the meeting we would get maybe 12 members to show up.
BRP is not a business. We are not there to please whomever happens to need a place to shoot. We are a club formed of like minded individuals that wish to promote and participate in the shooting sports. The E-Bd members give hundreds of hours of effort to the club every year. We do it for the benefit of the club as a non-profit organization devoted to the shooting sports. We invite every member to every event.
It has been described as thus: the club used to be like a yacht club where all the members met and shared their sport with others. It's being treated like a marina where you hand your boat to the dock hand and want him to wash it and put it away.
We can organize the events, maintain the club and ranges and manage the finances all while keeping the membership mostly happy.
It's $125 a year to be a member at BRP. I myself am a member at another club also. If you can't find the perfect club, maybe a combination of 2 or 3 might work for you. If you are unhappy with whatever the Braintree club does or does not you can come to some meetings and find out if you can help out.
Or not.
But if you get offended by an email and vent it out over a bbs maybe you should have come to a few meetings instead.

not a member at brp, BUT----[offtopic]

good post ne1hu

Just received the following message.

IMPORTANT MESSAGE TO MEMBERS

Please be advised that access to the club will be limited beginning Wednesday, June 29th through Friday, July 1 due to the installation of a water line connecting our buildings to a main water line which will require excavation of our driveway into the club. Work will be performed in the mornings and the driveway should be clear by late afternoon. The club will remain open, however, members may not be able to access the parking area.

We apologize for the inconvenience and the short notice, but circumstances dictate the work be performed at this time.

ETA: We are tying into the town water supply. Also if you park on Messina's property you will likely be towed. I know that they have threatened that before, unsure if they actually did it or not, so warning folks not to poke the bear here.

Anyone know if the old clubhouse parking lot is accessible tonight? The guys and I like to go super late when there's no one there

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

I am curious about hours say between 5-7 pm....I would probably be going after work. Do you know if it is a problem during those hours on weekdays ?

Fridays they have junior night for about an hour in the new range. Believe it starts at 6pm with safety orientation then range time. There also may be an occasional pistol match. I've never had an issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Juniors start at 7, we start setting up at 630 and throw everyone out at 645. The other range is open all night. Again, even with pistol and rifle matches there are other ranges open. We have 2 indoor ranges that are open 24/7. See my post above.

Quick question I am filling out the new member application for the club, and it is asking for three references preferably club members. I recently moved to MA 3 years ago and honestly do not know anyone that attends this club, is this going to be an issue getting my membership approved? Thanks in advance.

Quick question I am filling out the new member application for the club, and it is asking for three references preferably club members. I recently moved to MA 3 years ago and honestly do not know anyone that attends this club, is this going to be an issue getting my membership approved? Thanks in advance.

If you'd like to meet up this weekend, I'll be there with some of the guys. We'd be happy to let you throw our info down. We go late (9:30) or so to avoid the crowds. Only stipulation is you have to go green [emoji4]

So how, exactly, does the outdoor range work? Due to work and other obligations, I haven't been able to get down there when the range is open. But it looks like I may finally have that chance next week!

Is it BYO staple gun? You set up at the bench and then wait for the range officer to call a cease fire? Any caliber restrictions (I think the furthest range is the centerfire-only plinking range)?

So how, exactly, does the outdoor range work? Due to work and other obligations, I haven't been able to get down there when the range is open. But it looks like I may finally have that chance next week!

Is it BYO staple gun? You set up at the bench and then wait for the range officer to call a cease fire? Any caliber restrictions (I think the furthest range is the centerfire-only plinking range)?

I suggest that you read the booklet (range rules) you were given or check them online. Different size targets for different ranges.

You bring your own targets and stapler.

There must be a RO on duty on the outdoor ranges in order to shoot there.

You call your own cease fires, you clean up the brass after your done. Some ROs will call it for you, but we could be 2 ranges away and it really isn't our responsibility to call cease fires.

Center handgun range is 50/25 yds with steel at ~24 yds.

Short handgun range is 27' and 47'.

Rimfire (or airgun) only range is 50 yds.

You can shoot .22LR anywhere, I'd have to look to see if .500 S&W or .50BMG (long guns) are allowed on the outdoor ranges . . . I'm pretty sure .500S&W is OK (although everyone around you will hate you) but unsure of .50BMG on the rifle range. You'd have to look at those range rules and I haven't had need to check those calibers. Everything else is allowed (no incendiaries) and paper targets only (or club steel on the middle range).

- - - Updated - - -

Also for those that didn't get the Email from the club:

Work on our driveway will begin on Friday October 28 with the asphalt being removed. The driveway will remain open Friday although there will be delays in entering and exiting the club.

The driveway will be CLOSED Saturday October 29th from 7 AM until 2 PM for paving. No vehicles or persons will be allowed to use the driveway between those hours. The driveway will reopen at 2 PM.

No 50BMG on the rifle range. We don't have the down range distance suggested by NRA engineers.
500 S&W is ok on all the ranges pistols are allowed. If you shoot it on a crowded indoor range you will not make any friends and someone will tell you to stop. It's not against club rules but common sense should prevail with this and 460 S&W. Also of note is black powder pistols are allowed on all pistol ranges including indoors with the above cautions about making other range users suffer for your vanity.
As an addendum: Pistol caliber rifles are not allowed on our pistol ranges. If it has a 16 inch barrel and a shoulder stock it's a rifle. Examples are Uzi rifles, Thompsons, Keltec Sub2000, ect.
Only 17 and 22 RIMFIRE rifles are permitted on pistol and indoor ranges.
If you are at the range and seriously ask me what a rimfire cartridge is I will ridicule in person and over all your social media.

Last edited:
Reminds me of the movie Miracle Mile where Anthony Edwards is at a coffee shop in the middle of the night and the payphone rings and it's an airman in North Dakota who thinks he just called his Dad screaming that we're launching a nuclear assault and that he has an hour to get out of town before the retaliatory strike hits and then an officer shoots him, picks up the phone and tells "Dad" to go back to bed.

It was a nice little 80's twist of a cold war movie.

Anyone ever have the payphone ring in the old range? Just scared the sh*t out of me.

Years ago it use to ring all the time,and this one time there was a hole in it.I think someone shot it.

Reminds me of the movie Miracle Mile where Anthony Edwards is at a coffee shop in the middle of the night and the payphone rings and it's an airman in North Dakota who thinks he just called his Dad screaming that we're launching a nuclear assault and that he has an hour to get out of town before the retaliatory strike hits and then an officer shoots him, picks up the phone and tells "Dad" to go back to bed.

It was a nice little 80's twist of a cold war movie.

That was on my tv channel like three months ago. Good 80's flick

From an Email sent to all BR&P Members yesterday.

INDOOR RANGE

The new Range will be closed beginning Wednesday January 11 through Friday January 13th for cleaning. The old range will remain open to members. No instructor classes are allowed on the old Range between these dates.

Old indoor range. Saw a bunch of targets hung at the closer yellow line (not the 33' line). Was there a change of rules? I never even noticed a closer line until this wend.

Old indoor range. Saw a bunch of targets hung at the closer yellow line (not the 33' line). Was there a change of rules? I never even noticed a closer line until this wend.

New rule allows shooting at 15' on both indoor ranges. IIRC it was sent out in an Email blast to all members a few months ago and mentioned at the members meetings over the past few months.

Is anyone familiar with the monthly combat shoots at BRP ? Draw from holster ?. Full mags ? IDPA/USPSA style courses of fire ?

I'm a long time member who hasn't been in many years because I spend most of of my time at a club closer to home (used to live in Braintree). I compete in "action shoots" now and I'd be interested in checking out what BRP is doing.

Thanks.

These shoots can be a lot of fun. However, a lot have been canceled lately so it's hard to use them as anything more than a time to go have some fun. The format is always changing. Some have included a rifle portion. There can be a mix of steel and ipsc targets. I have done a couple USPSA matches and this is very different. There has been some drawing from holster, but it's with an empty chamber to get around the club rule. If you're really into USPSA or IDPA you might not find these events a good practice opportunity, but it's always fun to do some shooting in a competitive format.

Hey Len, what's the story behind the rifle range being the only place to shoot a PCC/rifle in a pistol caliber at BRP? I figured I'd be able to shoot it at the outdoor pistol range at least, but it's clearly pistols only there and indoors.

Hey Len, what's the story behind the rifle range being the only place to shoot a PCC/rifle in a pistol caliber at BRP? I figured I'd be able to shoot it at the outdoor pistol range at least, but it's clearly pistols only there and indoors.

I've been a member for 18 yrs and that's been the rule at least that long.

I can only "ass-u-me" why . . . probably worried about the extra velocity and an errant round exiting the range if elevated improperly, but that is merely a guess.

If you want a real definitive answer, ping Zoo (CRO) from the club website (unless you have his Email address, don't think it is posted) or Mike (runs juniors and is on NES as N1HEU) via PM.

"Errant round exiting the range if elevated improperly" is the reason. Look at the overhead baffles at the rifle range and look at the 2 pistol ranges and notice the difference. The pistol baffles (hanging wood) are only designed to stop or significantly slow pistol bullets fired from a pistol barrel. The rifle baffles are made of multi-layered wood filled with gravel to stop rifle bullets.

We're talking about pistol caliber rounds though. What's the fps difference out of a longer barrel? A couple of hundred fps, the same as a +p?

"Errant round exiting the range if elevated improperly" is the reason. Look at the overhead baffles at the rifle range and look at the 2 pistol ranges and notice the difference. The pistol baffles (hanging wood) are only designed to stop or significantly slow pistol bullets fired from a pistol barrel. The rifle baffles are made of multi-layered wood filled with gravel to stop rifle bullets.

Mike,

Thanks for confirming my assumption.

Back
Top Bottom