Boston Public Library

dwarven1

Lonely Mountain Arms
Anyone know if carry is OK there? (Yeah, I know it's LEGAL... but do they have a policy on it? Backed with, say, metal detectors?)

Last edited:
Hmmm. Last time I didn't see any signs.

The bathrooms in the BPL are notorious for drug usage, specifically homeless people coming in to shoot heroine. One time, A friend of mine, my girlfriend, and I were walking around in Back Bay and the GF said she wanted to go to the BPL to use the bathroom. While we were waiting for her to come out, this huge black (erm, uhm, excuse me, African American) guy (6'6" and 300lbs) comes into that hall outside the bathrooms where we were waiting. His friend was using the bathroom. I noticed him right away because he was shaking really badly. His pupils were constricted, eyes were glassy and within the two minutes we were waiting there he took his jacket, sweatshirt, and undershirt off. He was sweating profusely. He was friendly, talking to us, rapidly, and changing subjects every 5 seconds. We kept our distance, and the look I got from the girlfriend when she came out of the bathroom and saw this guy, she looked at me and flared her nostrils. I gave him the "Stay the &*(&(*) away from my girlfriend" look and we left. That guy defiantly just smoked himself a huge rock. I wasn't too worried about it because when crackheads are happy (because they have crack) everythings ok. It's unhappy crackheads that you have to watch out for.

You wouldn't catch me in the main branch BPL unarmed!!

Haven't been in there in a number of years, but it's always been a "roosting place" for street people and thus a place to always be situationally aware.

Well, I was asking not because I was concerned about what would happen INSIDE the library, but getting from the parking garage to the library. And getting back to the garage after 11 PM at night. Went last night to a very nice private party (and met MarkL there, I might add!) and had no troubles at all.

Interestingly enough, a couple of liberal friends left their Swiss Army knives home because they didn't know if there were metal detectors at the library or not. *snicker* I mightily resisted temptation to mention that I checked it out beforehand (if they had metal detectors, that is) as I didn't want to have to explain just why I wanted to know. Don't ask, don't tell.

I'm glad it went well.. I haven't been to there since i was in 8th grade, doing "homework" after school..lol back then we never travelled alone, I can't imagine it's any safer..

Last edited:
Well, I was asking not because I was concerned about what would happen INSIDE the library, but getting from the parking garage to the library. And getting back to the garage after 11 PM at night. Went last night to a very nice private party (and met MarkL there, I might add!) and had no troubles at all.

Interestingly enough, a couple of liberal friends left their Swiss Army knives home because they didn't know if there were metal detectors at the library or not. *snicker* I mightily resisted temptation to mention that I checked it out beforehand (if they had metal detectors, that is) as I didn't want to have to explain just why I wanted to know. Don't ask, don't tell.

Ross: I didn't see you there! I will look for you next year. They are thinking of the Statehouse and you will probably have to leave your friends, S&W, home......

Ross: I didn't see you there! I will look for you next year. They are thinking of the Statehouse and you will probably have to leave your friends, S&W, home......

The Statehouse? Oh, ick. I was kind of hoping that they'd go back to the MOS...

Tom and I were just there on Monday. They have the things to keep you from stealing books, which I thought was a metal detector, but I guess it isn't.
The Edgar Allan Poe exhibit The Raven In The Frogpond is cool, and they have big lion sculptures in the main entrance up the first set of stairs honoring two regiments from MA that were in the Civil War.

Last edited:
The BPL is one scary place. I was walking to my car after dinner and my iced teas caught up with me. It was either the BPL or a behind a dumpster. Given the choice, the dumpster would have been safer...

Oddly enough, I wasn't very nervous walking back to 500 Boylston (where my car was parked) even at 11:00 on a Saturday night. Well lit and other than a few folks on the benches in Copley Sq, not a lot of people around.

Of course, I was at condition orange, watching in every direction anyway, but hey...

Oddly enough, I wasn't very nervous walking back to 500 Boylston (where my car was parked) even at 11:00 on a Saturday night. Well lit and other than a few folks on the benches in Copley Sq, not a lot of people around.

Of course, I was at condition orange, watching in every direction anyway, but hey...

The areas with the benches on either side of the square are usually best avoided, as are the ledges immediately next to the library. Otherwise it's a very safe area. Particularly as compared to downtown.

Anyone know if carry is OK there? (Yeah, I know it's LEGAL... but do they have a policy on it? Backed with, say, metal detectors?)
I would think that it would be posted at the entrance. If not then I doubt you will have a problem, it's not the same as walking into the Post Office, Courthouses etc... and if there is a special "rulebook" that applies it would be the responsibility of the Library administration to make it available to patrons. Unless of course the City of Boston has their own special law that you are supposed to know!

Back
Top Bottom