Boston pol's plan to rid streets of handguns

http://www.boston.com/news/local/articles/2008/10/21/waging_a_gun_battle/

WAGING A GUN BATTLE
By Globe columnist Adrian Walker

Boston City Councilor Michael Flaherty and Police Commissioner Edward Davis seem to have a fundamental disagreement about a fundamental issue: How to get handguns off the street.

Today Flaherty will propose upping the penalties for being caught with a concealed weapon in one's home or workplace. Carrying a concealed weapon to work is illegal already - just in case you were wondering - but the penalties, by Flaherty's reckoning, aren't severe enough.

The bill being filed is narrowly crafted enough, but Flaherty makes it clear that he believes the city's approach needs to be rethought. "There are homes in our neighborhoods that've become safe havens for guns," he declared yesterday. He said the city has created a "disincentive" for criminals to stop carrying weapons, by punishing such crimes too leniently. Under his home rule petition, which would require legislative approval, concealed weapons in the home would carry the same mandatory sentence as concealed weapons on the street, 18 months.

His notion of how to address the gun problem is the opposite of the approach advocated by the Police Department, which launched the Safe Homes Initiative earlier this year in an effort to encourage people to voluntarily turn in the guns in their homes. Under the program, residents voluntarily approve searches of their homes with the understanding that no charges will be filed if guns are found. So far, three people have taken advantage of the opportunity.

"We wanted to make it available to parents as an alternative," said Boston police spokeswoman Elaine Driscoll. "Whether or not the program is right for them needs to be their decision."

Flaherty points to the shooting last summer of 8-year-old Liquarry Jefferson as part of his inspiration. Jefferson was shot by a gun belonging to an older half-brother, who tragically left the weapon where two small children could get it. Jayquan McConnico, 16, has been committed to the Department of Youth Services until his 21st birthday.

Flaherty argues that the Safe Homes Initiative has been a bust. Obviously, not many people have been willing to turn in their weapons voluntarily. Also, Flaherty, a former prosecutor, thinks the whole notion of warrantless searches is legally misguided. Driscoll says the program is simply part of the department's strategy for dealing with guns, not the sum of it.

This could well be a battle between two ineffective ideas. But it reflects the confusion over how to deal with the gun problem that everyone agrees is central to the crime problem. Encouraging people to turn in their guns hasn't worked. But stiffer penalties won't necessarily work, either.

A city that once congratulated itself on figuring out how to reduce crime has discovered that it never really figured out anything. The notion of some clergy-police alliance ending the crime problem seems quaint now. Community policing hasn't stopped the shooting in Roxbury and Dorchester. So the answer is to crack down on concealed weapons at work?

The legislation probably won't get far in the short term. The Legislature regards home rule petitions as a low priority because, by definition, they don't affect most lawmakers or their constituents. Throw in a fiscal crisis that'll consume the State House for the foreseeable future and this seems certain to languish. At any rate, there's no evidence that stiffer penalties for concealed weapons will make a dent in the real problem, which is the ready availability of weapons.

Flaherty has auditioned a number of public safety ideas as he tries to find a message for his likely run for mayor next year. In that context, it may not really matter to him whether his ideas really come to fruition.

Unfortunately, the problem deserves more than posturing. Three children were shot outside their Roxbury housing development Saturday in the kind of attack that's become considerably less shocking than it used to be, victims of an all to common form of handgun violence. Government should have more to offer them than a battle of stale ideas.

Adrian Walker is a Globe columnist. he can be reached at [email protected]

really??

http://www.boston.com/news/local/articles/2008/10/21/waging_a_gun_battle/

WAGING A GUN BATTLE
By Globe columnist Adrian Walker

...This could well be a battle between two ineffective ideas. But it reflects the confusion over how to deal with the gun problem that everyone agrees is central to the crime problem. Encouraging people to turn in their guns hasn't worked. But stiffer penalties won't necessarily work, either.

Adrian Walker is a Globe columnist. he can be reached at [email protected]

I love statements like the above; I just wonder who that "everyone" is? I know it isn't me or many people I know.

Today Flaherty will propose upping the penalties for being caught with a concealed weapon in one's home or workplace. Carrying a concealed weapon to work is illegal already - just in case you were wondering - but the penalties, by Flaherty's reckoning, aren't severe enough.

When did this become illegal? another law slipped in at midnight?

"Under the program, residents voluntarily approve searches of their homes with the understanding that no charges will be filed if guns are found. So far, three people have taken advantage of the opportunity."

And America, after all, is the land of opportunity....

This could well be a battle between two ineffective ideas. But it reflects the confusion over how to deal with the gun problem that everyone agrees is central to the crime problem. Encouraging people to turn in their guns hasn't worked. But stiffer penalties won't necessarily work, either.

That statement is wrong...I disagree with it. I say that the crime problem is the cause of the gun problem. Stop the crime and you stop the gun crime. You start this by actually punishing the people who commit crimes with guns.

...Stop the crime and you stop the gun crime. You start this by actually punishing the people who commit crimes with guns.

I'm afraid this won't happen with the current batch of soft judges. Since we seem to be stuck with political hack judges with a soft spot for those poor, economically disadvantaged, misunderstood, misguided individuals who make a mistake, how about mandatory sentencing? Give 'em a cookbook to follow. Crime x equals stiff sentence y. Of course this assumes a legislature that has a pair and is willing to step up. I get so tired of this garbage.

His notion of how to address the gun problem is the opposite of the approach advocated by the Police Department, which launched the Safe Homes Initiative earlier this year in an effort to encourage people to voluntarily turn in the guns in their homes. Under the program, residents voluntarily approve searches of their homes with the understanding that no charges will be filed if guns are found. So far, three people have taken advantage of the opportunity.

Wow, a whole THREE PEOPLE! Out of about 100,000 homes that probably have illegal guns inside them. It's amazing that these politicians think that criminals will all of a sudden grow a conscience and give in willingly to programs like that.

That's not the whole story. They want a mandatory 18 months for any one caught with armor piercing bullets.

That statement is wrong...I disagree with it. I say that the crime problem is the cause of the gun problem. Stop the crime and you stop the gun crime. You start this by actually punishing the people who commit crimes with guns.

You can't stop crime! Then the police would have no reason to harass people! They'd just need to invite a new breed of criminals.

I thought I read somewhere something about being secure in ones home....must have been a novela I read in my youth.

But seriously 18 months = same day parole. This plan is nothing more than a press opportunity that they seem to be competing over.

It disgusts me that police would try to curb crime by stripping people of their right to defend themselves even in their own home.

I thought I read somewhere something about being secure in ones home....must have been a novela I read in my youth.

Bah....you were simply getting ready for the passing of question 2 by smoking fatties for breakfast. Silly silly, what made you think you had a right to be secure in your own home? It's not like it's written anywhere. I think you're just remembering an old episode of Walker: Texas Ranger.

Did you know Chuck Norris sweats Liberty when the gym comes to him?

yet another clueless politician heard from. the kid who ILLEGALLY owned the gun Liquarry was shot with did no time!!!

Not strong on reading comprehension, are you? Try again:

Jayquan McConnico, 16, has been committed to the Department of Youth Services until his 21st birthday.

Sounds like juvenile incarceration to me.

However, the article is appallingly inaccurate and biased; even the Glob usually does better. One must generally read the Herald to find such journalistic incompetence.

I thought Jayquan McConnico was put on probation until he was 21. While that may legally be considered "committed", I don't think it means he's going to do 5 years IN a facility.

One of our forum members is the director of DYS, child crime unit, dangerous offenders. I'll call him later and ask if McConnico is in fact in his custody.

I thought Jayquan McConnico was put on probation until he was 21. While that may legally be considered "committed", I don't think it means he's going to do 5 years IN a facility.

One of our forum members is the director of DYS, child crime unit, dangerous offenders. I'll call him later and ask if McConnico is in fact in his custody.

I am sure we would ALL like to hear his comments!

>"Carrying a concealed weapon to work is illegal already"

When did this become illegal? another law slipped in at midnight?

Good point. Obviously written by a lefty reporter that dosen't know squat about guns or gun laws. Assuming that this statement is correct, (which we all know is BS) how do some PD's get around issuing Class "A" ALP LTC's by stamping them "For Employment Purposes Only"? Seems to me that a permit issued for employment purposes implies that it's legal to carry at work. But hey, what do I know, this is Massachusetts, where the laws make no sence anyway.

Back
Top Bottom