Boston police broke weapons policy

http://www.boston.com/news/local/massachusetts/articles/2008/02/11/boston_police_broke_weapons_policy/

Boston police broke weapons policy
Guns kept during restraining orders

By Donovan Slack, Globe Staff | February 11, 2008

In retrospect, Boston Police Department officials said, they should never have allowed Officer Leonard F. Brown to carry his gun.

Brown, they said, shouldn't have had it last summer, while his former wife had an active restraining order against him. Specifically, he shouldn't have had it July 26, when he was accused of flashing his department- issued .40-caliber Glock to a former in-law during what has been described as a vodka- infused tirade, saying, "Do you know who you're [expletive] with?"

"We missed him," Police Commissioner Edward F. Davis said in an interview.

But while Brown may be the most egregious example, he is hardly alone. The Boston Police Department - unlike the State Police - has repeatedly allowed officers accused of domestic-related threats or violence to continue carrying guns, a Globe review has found. The department allows the practice, usually with more restrictions than Brown had, so that officers can continue working regular patrol shifts and detail shifts at nightclubs and construction sites.

Yet that policy runs counter to a recommendation from an internal Police Department committee, which said in 2005 that all officers subject to restraining orders should be stripped of their weapons for the duration of the orders.

The internal committee also found that the department's in-house counseling program for officers accused of domestic violence was lacking.

But since 2003, only one officer was sent to an enhanced counseling program, and the department forfeited $40,000 from a federal grant it received to set up the improved counseling. Officers are sent to the old, in-house program that the committee had viewed as inadequate.

After learning of the Globe's findings, Davis said last month that he planned to launch a fresh review of the department's policies for handling officers accused of domestic violence. He said he also planned to revise Police Department regulations so that no one is allowed to carry guns when they are subject to restraining orders.

The department has recently grappled with domestic violence controversies within its ranks. Davis came under fire in December when he punished a police lieutenant found to have punched his girlfriend in a Baltimore bar with a five-day suspension, rather than termination. The commissioner said at the time that he felt firing Lieutenant David Murphy would spur a protracted court battle with the officer that would cost taxpayers too much money, and ultimately Murphy would win his job back.

Last week, Randolph police arrested a Boston police officer, Windell Josey, and charged him with assaulting his girlfriend in their Randolph home. Josey is a detective in the Boston Police Department's domestic violence unit.

When judges issue restraining orders against Boston police officers, the officers' guns are immediately confiscated and stored at the Police Department range. But officers typically appeal to get their weapons back so they can continue working, on duty and on details, private jobs that can add tens of thousands of dollars a year to their income.

Boston police officials have authorized 10 officers out of 26 who were the subjects of domestic violence-related restraining orders since January 2005 to continue patrolling city streets with their weapons. Nine of the allowances came with a restriction: the officers were required to turn in their guns to supervisors before heading home. They were supposed to sign them out at the beginning of their shifts, and sign them back in at the end.

In the 10th case, Brown's, Davis allowed him to carry his gun without any restriction.

Some departments, including the State Police, have regulations strictly barring any officers from carrying weapons while they are subject to restraining orders. Others, like Boston, New York City, and Chicago, make determinations on a case-by-case basis.

Critics say stricter policies are needed.

"Without a coordinated community response across the board, with no exceptions, including police departments, we risk creating and supporting a culture where abuse is tolerated and ignored," said Tony Burns, coexecutive director of Common Purpose, a Boston-based domestic violence intervention program that would have provided more intensive counseling for Boston officers.

Paul Evans, former Boston police commissioner, formed the special internal review committee to study how domestic violence charges were handled within department ranks in 2002. The goal: address "the growing numbers of officers involved in off-duty and on-duty instances of battering their partners," according to an internal Police Department memo obtained by the Globe.

The committee quickly concluded that the department needed better counseling. But by 2005, a program for enhanced counseling had fizzled.

Police Department lawyer Amy Ambarik said she had a hard time getting police unions to agree to the new counseling, so she stopped referring officers. Union officials say they don't remember being approached about the program.

Kathleen M. O'Toole, Evans's successor as police commissioner, in 2005 rejected the internal committee's recommendation that all officers subject to restraining orders surrender their weapons for the duration of the orders. O'Toole, who is working at a police agency in Ireland, declined to comment.

Davis decided to continue O'Toole's policy. Department lawyer Ambarik said taking officers' guns away significantly cuts their income because it makes it impossible for them to work details. "The fact is, we are taking away someone's ability to earn a living," she said.

A recommendation on Brown's request to keep his gun hit Davis's desk in June. It was a favorable one, despite a trail of incidents involving Brown that is contained in Police Department internal affairs investigation reports.

In 2002, police responding to a 911-hangup call from his Randolph home found a belligerent Brown and a fully loaded Smith & Wesson .357 Magnum tucked under a living room chair cushion. The department ordered him to serve four days of desk duty.

In April 2005, Brown was found to have lied to a Police Department doctor about having an MRI done for an on-duty injury, according to the reports, and he received a three-day suspension.

In May 2005, a patrol supervisor found Brown drunk on duty and he failed a Breathalyzer test, according to the reports. A year later, Brown entered his former mother-in-law's apartment, uninvited and drunk, urging his former wife to take out a restraining order against him, according to investigative reports.

Brown served a 45-day suspension last year for both incidents, but a restraining order taken out by his former wife remained in place.

Five days after he finished serving his suspension, in May 2007, he retrieved his gun on a sign-in, sign-out basis.

The commissioner gave him unrestricted access to his gun in June.

Brown is facing trial March 13 in Quincy District Court on charges of violating a restraining order, assault with a dangerous weapon, and threatening to commit a crime for allegedly displaying his gun to a relative of his former wife in the parking lot of a Sudbury Farms in Randolph on July 26.

The charges are false, said Brown's lawyer, Anthony Ellison, and trumped up by the family of Brown's former wife to get him in trouble. Brown told police at the time that he had not been drinking.

He said he had the gun because he was planning to work a detail.

Boston is so corrupt, none of this or anything else that happens in that city surprises me. But I guess the residents get what they deserve for voting in the same morons year after year.

PDs considering themselves above the law? Color me shocked..........

Do you see where most of Randolph's problems arise? From Cops from other communities living or visiting within their jurisdiction. This includes one murder charge from several years ago.

Bill

I can't find the cite, but I remember reading a study several years ago (might even have been during the MA-Firearms days) that showed that nationwide a police officer was slightly more likely than the average American to be charged with a crime. At the same time a police officer was listed as something like half as likely as the average citizen to be convicted after the arrest.

I'm sure there are all kinds of "circumstances", but the report did address a lot of these and the conclusion was one of many officers being treated differently as a common occurrence.

The Boston Police Department - unlike the State Police - has repeatedly allowed officers accused of domestic-related threats or violence to continue carrying guns, a Globe review has found. The department allows the practice, usually with more restrictions than Brown had, so that officers can continue working regular patrol shifts and detail shifts at nightclubs and construction sites.

Yup, another indication that cops are better than the rest of us.

Last week, Randolph police arrested a Boston police officer, Windell Josey, and charged him with assaulting his girlfriend in their Randolph home. Josey is a detective in the Boston Police Department's domestic violence unit.

You just can't make stuff like this up. As Mark Twain once observed truth is stranger than fiction because fiction has to be at least marginally believable, while truth doesn't have any such restriction. [rolleyes]

Ken

PDs considering themselves above the law? Color me shocked..........

Actually, it's quite a bit worse than that. MA, and the feds, IIRC, have a "wallhack" built into lautenberg amendment which exempts them from the prohibitions created by having an active RO against
them. Whether or not that hack gets used, depends on the PD/Agency in question.

-Mike

0000007.gif

Last edited:
Actually, it's quite a bit worse than that. MA, and the feds, IIRC, have a "wall hack" built into lautenberg amendment which exempts them from the prohibitions created by having an active RO against

I'd like to see that in print. The Lautenburg amendment never had any such clauses in it as far as I'm aware. It was tried and shot down years ago in NJ.

Actually, it's quite a bit worse than that. MA, and the feds, IIRC, have a "wallhack" built into lautenberg amendment which exempts them from the prohibitions created by having an active RO against

-Mike

Yeah, they do (at least the feds do)...

(B6) Do law enforcement officers who are subject to restraining orders and who receive and possess firearms for purposes of carrying out their official duties violate the law? [Back]

Not if the firearms are received and possessed for official use only.

The law prohibits persons subject to certain restraining orders from receiving, shipping, transporting or possessing firearms or ammunition. To be disabling, the restraining order must:

specifically restrain the person from harassing, stalking, or threatening an "intimate partner" of the person (e.g., spouse);

be issued after a hearing of which notice was given to the person and at which the person had an opportunity to participate; and

include a finding that the person subject to the order represents a credible threat to the "intimate partner" or child of the "intimate partner" OR explicitly prohibits the use, attempted use, or threatened use of force against the partner.

However, the GCA has an exception for the receipt and possession of firearms and ammunition on behalf of a Federal or State agency. Therefore, the GCA does not prohibit a law enforcement officer under a restraining order from receiving or possessing firearms or ammunition for use in performing official duties. Possession of the firearm for official purposes while off duty would be lawful if such possession is required or authorized by law or by official departmental policy. An officer subject to a disabling restraining order would violate the law if the officer received or possessed a firearm or ammunition for other than official use. (See Question Q13 on officers’ receipt and possession of firearms and ammunition after a conviction of a misdemeanor crime of domestic violence. The government exception does not apply to such convictions.)

[18 U.S.C. 921(a)(32), 922(g)(8) and 925(a)(1)]

http://www.atf.treas.gov/firearms/faq/faq2.htm#b6

The Lautenberg crap only kicks in with a conviction...

(Q13) Does the disability apply to law enforcement officers? [Back]

Yes. The Gun Control Act was amended so that employees of government agencies convicted of misdemeanor crimes of domestic violence would not be exempt from disabilities with respect to their receipt or possession of firearms or ammunition. Thus, law enforcement officers and other government officials who have been convicted of a disqualifying misdemeanor may not lawfully possess or receive firearms or ammunition for any purpose, including performance of their official duties. The disability applies to firearms and ammunition issued by government agencies, purchased by government employees for use in performing their official duties, and personal firearms and ammunition possessed by such employees.

[18 U.S.C. 922(g)(9) and 925(a)(1), 27 CFR 478.32(a)(9) and 478.141]

Cops and 209 A's

My old Dept. Brockton P.D. immediately takes an officers guns away if a restraining order is issued.It should be that way everywhere.I hope that if a Cop was allowed to have guns while an order was in effect and harmed someone,that the Chief would be sued to the 10th power and fired.We had a Cop that had numerous orders in effect and his wife would always drop the charges.He eventually killed his wife and himself in front of his kids with a Dept Glock.When it comes to violence against women,Cops should not be treated different.In fact they should be fired if found guilty.

We took possession of any employees firearms and they were transfered to the County Prosecutor's Office that same as anyone else. After review or the case, only the Prosecutor's Office could allow the return for duty use is he so desired.

As anyone can file a TRO without any evidence in the least, the Prosecutor wanted a review process. Only in rare cases did he allow the return for duty use.

When it comes to violence against women,Cops should not be treated different.In fact they should be fired if found guilty.

I think a cop should be fired for any criminal conviction. If it's a misdemeanor, maybe they should be allowed to reapply after 5 years. People who are charged with upholding public order and enforcing the laws should lead by example, and be made examples of when they decide to break laws.

TRO

I TRO isn't a conviction. It isn't even based on probable cause. They "victim" simply goes to the local police or county court and gets one. Most are routinely granted.

I one case one of my officers was accused of stalking an old girlfriend. He parted ways two years earlier because of her behavioral problems. She claimed she looked in her rear view mirror and saw him and took down his license plate. She filed criminal charges and a TRO for the Stalking Charge and a Domestic Violence Charge. He was served the charges and forced to hire a lawyer. He could not work as he couldn't possess a firearm.

The one problem was that then these was to have taken place he was in the Bahamas with his fiancé. He had airline tickets and hotel bills to prove it. And yet the County Prosecutor would not drop the charges for months. So he goes without a salary because of a corrupt Prosecutor's Office and inept Prosecutors. After three months of that office telling him to go fu*k himself and they would drop the charges when they felt like it" we had a better idea. The Prosecutor was under fire for her inept practices and incompetent assistants. I just called them up and said I was contacting the rather large newspaper in the northern NJ area and would be giving them an interview. The next day the charges were dropped and he was able to return to work.

The Prosecutor was fired three months later thankfully.

I think a cop should be fired for any criminal conviction

That has been law in NJ for over five years. ANYTHING down to a Disorderly Person offense will terminate employment.

Last edited:
I'd say the problem is getting the officer charged in the first place.
Certainly we are all familiar with the "thin blue line".

That's a bunch of BS. The charges are filed at the County Court by civilian employees and signed off by a Superior Court Judge. The police department has no involvement for the most part in the issuance of TRO's with the exception of transportation to the County and the filing out of the forms. If you knew anything about most state's laws governing Domestic Violence, you would know there is very little in the way of Grey areas.

In any case where a victim shows a sign of an injury, regardless of the size an arrest is required. The victim does not sign the charge, the police officer on the scene does. In the case where no injury is observed, the victim will sign the charge is they so desire. The charge must be taken. However it is still up to the Judge to sign off on the charges.

Domestic Violence is a no win situation. Either someone who is innocent get nailed or someone who really should file for a TRO refuses to do so. Way too often it is justed used to get back at someone and cause them a load of grief.

Once a cop gets a domestic violence restraining order, he should lose his job permanently.

Only after a hearing where one is allowed to present evidence.

Too many cookie-cutter 209As are issued based on the 'victim' just being an angry person. A female can get an order issued based on nothing more than a good sob story (sometimes less).

While a restriction to a desk job might be proper, any termination based solely on the word of a single person without due process is hardly fair.

You see the same kind of things in Child molestation cases. The 'child' makes a false claim and by the time the accused is able to defend himself, the community has already hung him.

I actually have such an issue looming over me. My mother-in-law once served her husband with a restraining order out of the blue because she was angry at him. We've had our issues with the woman and I have a large folder of e-mail she has sent with threats, hysterical rantings, and such. My wive even has an old answering machine cassette with her ranting.

If my Mother-in-law ever decides to pull the RO thing on us as a way to spite us, I have no other choice but to absolutely destroy her or my own record will forever show this 'blemish'. I just hope I never have to go that far.

Right now, I think she knows that such an action might backfire on her, but if she gets worse, who knows. Lets put it this way... Even UPS will not deliver to her home unless she signs for every package due to attempts in the past to deny she received delivery of something.

My point is that there are enough people out there that will bear false witness that it is a bad policy to take any but certain careful actions until due process is able to commence and the 'accused' can defend themselves.

You just can't make stuff like this up. As Mark Twain once observed truth is stranger than fiction because fiction has to be at least marginally believable, while truth doesn't have any such restriction. [rolleyes]

Ken

I read that same part thinking WTF....

Once a cop gets a domestic violence restraining order, he should lose his job permanently.

I have to disagree with you for job loss over a domestic/restringing order, but certainly would put forth they should loose employment for other crimes like robbery, murder, etc...

The issue with restraining orders are that a they seem to be a de facto opening salvo for relationship issues. Wife/Girlfriend/S.O. has an issue and they just have to walk down to a PD or call the court. A significant amount of the time the orders are just there for revenge or as a staging ground for child custody or divorce. The Restraining Order process is full of holes. And yet in the same manner it does not do enough because it simply cannot do enough for the actual victims.

I'd say the problem is getting the officer charged in the first place.

Certainly we are all familiar with the "thin blue line".

But on a 2A note, I'd say mandatory issuance of LTC-A for those who qualify would go a long way towards bridging the gap of mistrust between officer and citizen.

Are you suggesting a backdoor license scheme? Because thats what this is.

As anyone can file a TRO without any evidence in the least, the Prosecutor wanted a review process. Only in rare cases did he allow the return for duty use.
There should be a review in EVERY TRO... they're too easy to misuse.
I just called them up and said I was contacting the rather large newspaper in the northern NJ area and would be giving them an interview.
The Bergen Record? Just wondering.

He was responding to my comment about cops being covicted of crimes in general not necessarily TRO's.

That's a bunch of BS. The charges are filed at the County Court by civilian employees and signed off by a Superior Court Judge. The police department has no involvement for the most part in the issuance of TRO's with the exception of transportation to the County and the filing out of the forms. If you knew anything about most state's laws governing Domestic Violence, you would know there is very little in the way of Grey areas.

In any case where a victim shows a sign of an injury, regardless of the size an arrest is required. The victim does not sign the charge, the police officer on the scene does. In the case where no injury is observed, the victim will sign the charge is they so desire. The charge must be taken. However it is still up to the Judge to sign off on the charges.

Domestic Violence is a no win situation. Either someone who is innocent get nailed or someone who really should file for a TRO refuses to do so. Way too often it is justed used to get back at someone and cause them a load of grief.

The Bergen Record? Just wondering.

No, Star Ledger. The Ledger was tied in with NJ12 TV and were always looking for a good story. Plus the reporter for our area was hot....I never could stand the Record...

There are reviews when the TRO comes to court but that can take weeks if not months in some cases. In the case my my Patrol Officer, the criminal charges were a big part of the problem. The Prosecutor in Essex County (Newark) wouldn't even think about clearing up this case even though it was so obvious that the charges were false. The Prosecutor was removed when she allowed her girlfriend to drive her county assigned car with the lights and sirens going on the Garden State Parkway cutting off cars left and right. Numerous motorists called 911 to report her and when she was stopped by the state trooper, she claimed it was a bias incident and tried to sue him. He counter sued and got a settlement. After then the politicians how supported her told her to resign.

She was black and a female so the politicians thought they would gather favoritism with the local voters. Unfortunately she was not competent and screwed up everything she touched. She used most of her budget to redecorate her office. I heard a load of stories about her from other judges and attorneys I knew and they were unbelievable.

I would agree with this if it wasn't so incredibly easy for any women to get a RO. Alot of women in this state along with many others use RO as revenge or to assist with custody case's.

Back
Top Bottom