Boston New Year's Eve Security

I just got back. Wife dragged me there with the baby to see the ice sculptures. I carried my Glock 30 with an extra mag and my normal edc 3.5 inch knife. No shits were given by anyone.

Huge police presence but I didn't see them shaking anyone down. Super crowded and not fun. Glad to be home now with a glass of red wine and a bowl full o' pot.

Wasn't it loads of fun?[rofl]

Just heard on the news that there will be "checkpoints", "body checks" and police will be "confiscating prohibited items" on New Year's Eve in Boston. There will be "bomb sniffing dogs".

If you'll be joining the crowds on the street of Boston, will you be carrying?

Trip Report

Alewife T station, 1415ET: Two youts standing around in the ticketing hall, dressed up all colonial-like (Minutemen? Sans flintlocks).

Alewife T station, 1815ET: Five-count-em-five T Police sheltering-in-place, inside their Transit Police office facing the top of the elevators.

That is all.

Meh. If I didn't get invited to a family friends' party I'd find a bar that isn't charging $50+ at the door and go out and have fun.

Please. Stay home and binge watch hickok45. Stop jamming up the expressway and taking all our parking spots.
Visit Springfield.
[laugh]

I'm smoking a Cuban in front of my folks place. Nice parking spot and the Manhattan im drinking, i made with a free bottle of Basil Haydens i got from a customer. Doesn't get any better....

I think some of you are descended from Puritans, who were "Tortured by the idea that someone, somewhere, was having fun."

Free plays, concerts, kids events, ice sculptures, art exhibits, and you can go home for free on the T. Apparently some of you require payment?

Boston gets 23 and a half million tourists a year, if someone wants to stay home, we won't miss you.....

Nah some of us aren't puritans, we just like visiting Boston when it's not quite as busy. Friend of mine brings his grandkids to first night every year, but if it wasn't for them he wouldn't bother, usually it ends up being a pain in the ass but he does it anyways... for the children, you see!!! :)

ETA: Then again mobs of tourists allow me to troll them with George Benson, although it's a bit cold to run with the windows down.....

[video=youtube_share;ip_Y3tocbuo]http://youtu.be/ip_Y3tocbuo[/video]

Last edited:
Very pleasant. Fun parade, great fireworks at 7, organ and brass concert, hot toddies at Bar Boulod, now waiting for midnight. Cops not oppressive at all...oh, and TONS of gorgeous Asian girls

I think some of you are descended from Puritans, who were "Tortured by the idea that someone, somewhere, was having fun."

Free plays, concerts, kids events, ice sculptures, art exhibits, and you can go home for free on the T. Apparently some of you require payment?

Boston gets 23 and a half million tourists a year, if someone wants to stay home, we won't miss you.....

Good, because I for one will never miss Boston. Free plays, concerts, kids events, ice sculptures, art exhibits, and you can go home for free on the T. are not worth my rights being thrown in the trash. Spare me the BS, and we wonder why things are so turned against the people.

Very pleasant. Fun parade, great fireworks at 7, organ and brass concert, hot toddies at Bar Boulod, now waiting for midnight. Cops not oppressive at all...oh, and TONS of gorgeous Asian girls
Going to need more details on those Asian girls. Pictures if possible

Ed Davis went on the TV prior to the marathon that got bombed....he said they had the tightest security ever put in place at that marathon. the bombers were successful in spite of that. Now they use it as an excuse to infringe on people's rights.

makes me sick. I grew up in Boston but there is nothing in Boston for me anymore.

As I mentioned in my previous post....the put n extra security before and failed. This time they did it again and nothing happened. We are no safer now than we were a couple of years ago....it's just that nobody planned anything so it was uneventful...nothing more than that because if someone planned something they wouldn't be able to stop it just as before.

So good it was a pleasant evening for all...but don't get lulled into this false sense of security they are selling.

Good, because I for one will never miss Boston. Free plays, concerts, kids events, ice sculptures, art exhibits, and you can go home for free on the T. are not worth my rights being thrown in the trash. Spare me the BS, and we wonder why things are so turned against the people.
Grumpycat is grumpy.

So where do you live that is so wonderful?

Well I hate going into the City at any time for a number of reasons: parking difficulty and costs, congested (gridlocked) roads, everything at inflated prices, etc. However, good friends recommended a NYE show at the Hyatt Boston, an illusionist (who was fantastic, BTW) and so the 4 of us went in town. We parked in Brookline and took the T in, since it was before 8PM (free after 8PM) the subway cars were almost empty until we hit the magic hour during the last few stops to Park St. We saw 2 Transit cops at Park St, NOT heavily armed (just handguns) helping people with directions if they asked. When we got to the hotel they had tons of Securitas dressed in suit jackets to assist people going to different bars/restaurants/parties/events. No heavy-handedness, no searches. These Securitas folks seemed to be quite a few notches higher on the intelligence roster than most I've seen that were "guards" elsewhere (like the ones that Simmons College hired for "security").

After NY and watching NYC drop its balls on the TVs in the bar at the hotel we headed back to Park St. Saw no cops and no searches of people, subway train was packed and there was one group of rowdy (boisterous) drunk college kids on-board but no issues on our way back to my car. Took city/town roads home, no highways, thank you.

All in all a fun night but safe.

After we had bought tickets to this event we received 2 invites to local home parties. Oh well.

I did "First Night Boston" once about 30 years ago with my gf at the time, it was bitterly cold but we both had fun. I'm not knocking it at all, I just haven't been back since...

Well I hate going into the City at any time for a number of reasons: parking difficulty and costs, congested (gridlocked) roads, everything at inflated prices, etc. However, good friends recommended a NYE show at the Hyatt Boston, an illusionist (who was fantastic, BTW) and so the 4 of us went in town. We parked in Brookline and took the T in, since it was before 8PM (free after 8PM) the subway cars were almost empty until we hit the magic hour during the last few stops to Park St. We saw 2 Transit cops at Park St, NOT heavily armed (just handguns) helping people with directions if they asked. When we got to the hotel they had tons of Securitas dressed in suit jackets to assist people going to different bars/restaurants/parties/events. No heavy-handedness, no searches. These Securitas folks seemed to be quite a few notches higher on the intelligence roster than most I've seen that were "guards" elsewhere (like the ones that Simmons College hired for "security").

After NY and watching NYC drop its balls on the TVs in the bar at the hotel we headed back to Park St. Saw no cops and no searches of people, subway train was packed and there was one group of rowdy (boisterous) drunk college kids on-board but no issues on our way back to my car. Took city/town roads home, no highways, thank you.

All in all a fun night but safe.

After we had bought tickets to this event we received 2 invites to local home parties. Oh well.

This is exactly what I mean. I love cities. I love rural. What I can't stand are the in between Boston Suburbs. They are spread out enough that you can't walk anywhere. But they are too crowded to be able to drive anywhere efficiently or hunt within a convenient distance. I'm talking about the second circle towns like waltham, dedham, woburn.

Re Seuritas - They can offer any kind of security. From 70 year old unarmed retiree's "square badgers" like they have at my ex employers Pfizer and Biogen to ex-SOF military guys for VIP protection and Nuclear power plant security.

Back
Top Bottom