Boston LTC-A Recent Experience at BPD

Just got it in the mail!!!
Strange thing. On my application they put sport & target but on my license they changed it to target & hunting.

The MIRCS system has a pulldown of restrictions, plus I believe the ability to put in a free-form answer. Chances are the exact wording was one of the pulldown options.

You can appeal a denial in district court. Restrictions don't count.

Restrictions can be appealed, but it is a steep uphill battle. First, you have to get past the chief's response of "I issued an LTC, I don't understand why we are here", after which the judge will carefully listen the you, the scumbag citizen who wants to carry a gun and cause trouble, and then the dedicated public safety professional who has dedicated his/her life to protecting the public and then render a fair an impartial decision that the restriction stands.

I have read the decision from one such case, and am certain that the court did indeed "hear the case" and there was no dispute over standing to challenge a restriction.

Still waiting on Boston, Friday will be 9 weeks. Interview, fingerprints and cash ($100) all done at headquarters on 12/21/12. Qualified at range a week or so later.

I had a good experience. Had my interview Jan 17th, passed Moon Island Test Jan 18th, now I sit and wait as I I'll my hair out waiting to hear back. First time applicant. This wait is dreadful!!!

I had a good experience. Had my interview Jan 17th, passed Moon Island Test Jan 18th, now I sit and wait as I I'll my hair out waiting to hear back. First time applicant. This wait is dreadful!!!

You will not hear back from them unless there is something wrong.Just wait they will mail you the licence.With the licence will be a pin number,hold onto the number you might need it when doing a firearm transaction.

OP mentioned possibly acquiring a P30. I picked up an SA/DA P30 in 9mm in Dec. Absolutely worth the $$.

You will not hear back from them unless there is something wrong.Just wait they will mail you the licence.With the licence will be a pin number,hold onto the number you might need it when doing a firearm transaction.

thanks for the heads up. They told me 10-12 weeks so I'm hoping to get my license at the end of March the earliest

Here's my experience. I initially received my LTC-A from Boston back in 2005 at the age of 32. At the time I was just a rookie Correction Officer. Of course I got the same shitty story that everyone gets a restricted license for Sport and Target. I was more than happy just to be approved because the process had taken about 9 months. The reason it took so long was that when I was a teenager I was arrested for a domestic. I totally understood their reasons for making me wait as it was the same reason they By-passed me for the position of Police Officer. Needless to say I was heart broken.

I am a life long resident of the city of Boston, I have a BS in Sport Management from UMass Amherst, I have a wife and 2 young boys. I started my job with the MA-DOC in November of 2004. All my co-workers are licensed through their respective towns with no restrictions. They all recommend I get my LTC as we work in a dangerous environment.

So of course as I mentioned above I get the run around every time I called. They didn't care that I was a CO and just like them, worked in a dangerous environment. I forget the name of the Sgt who was in charge at the time but I sat down with him and told him my entire story. He asked me to go out and take a safety course, get a membership at a range, and to bring him my qualification records from the DOC. I went back a month later with everything he asked and he approved my license and all I had to pay was $25 and no need to qualify at Moon Island since the DOC was still using revolvers for qualification and on the job.

Fast forward to October 2010. I go back to renew my license and there is this angry women who is now in charge and is just being the biggest C U next Tuesday. She tells me it's $100 and that I have to go qualify at Moon Island. I had just recently requallified with the DOC as we do once a year. She did not care for anything I had to say. I also had to prove I was still a Boston Resident even though I brought the deed to my house and a couple of bills. I drove down to city hall at 9:30am so I could get a proof that I was still a Boston resident. I get back to headquarters about 11:00am and prove my residency and she finally schedules me to qualify.

A few weeks later I pass with flying colors and go back to finish the process. I again asked for no restrictions and even brought reports from my job that my life had been threatened by some of the most dangerous cons in the state. I have 6 years in and I'm a rookie Sgt and figure I should get my restrictions removed. She puts down the same Sport and Target but this time adds no conceal carry. I ask her why she added that. She said that this was only way I could get my license and everyone is getting it this way. I tried explaining that I have made some enemies behind the wall and I am scared for myself and family. She doesn't care one bit, she says have your job write you a letter. Unfortunately the DOC does not get involved with the personal use of firearms.

So hear I am today. A law abiding citizen and employee of the commonwealth and I have restrictions. My sister-in-law has a boyfriend who is a plumber and a piece of crap with a not so clean record and he was able to get a LTC-A with no restrictions a year later. All cause he gives the same crappy excuse that he does night deposits. What a crock of you know what.

Last edited:
Havvock,
Either start your own business on the side, or become an NRA instructor. Those are your two routes for getting unrestricted. Nothing else will work for you unless you want to move out of Boston, go to med school, law school, or have political connections.

I took a Basic Safety class back in January and called to make an appointment to submit my application 2 days later. The earliest appointment they had was March 15th, 2 months out. I just got a voicemail today (2 days before my apt.) and they said that I had to reschedule to a later time or different day with no explanation of why. I was pissed.
Luckily, the women I spoke to on the phone wasn't the same one that called earlier and she's going to squeeze me in 45 min after my original time.

What got me angry was that I already made arrangements with work to go in late on Friday. They're not the only ones who have schedules.

Back
Top Bottom