Boston Gun Buyback

LoginName said:
I've always wondered about that myself. Sure, probably 99% of the turn-ins are junk/POS's/worth less than $100.00 brand new. But, every now and then, there must be the occasional collectable or expensive firearm that gets turned in... some aging widowed woman brings in a bring-back piece that her WW-II vet husband returned with. She's had it in an attic or closet all these years and just wants to be rid of it.

Not that long ago, in a Canadian buy back program, an MG-34 (the article calls it an MP-42 [thinking]), and M3 Grease Gun was turned in.

Isn't it sad that some people can't see the value in a peice of history just because it's a gun. Worse yet, GUN, not weapon. When I was in highschool and I got into sword collection the best place to find cool swords was the antique shops. Try digging up an M3 there.

I think this poster really expresses my feelings. Thank-you Mr. Volk!
http://www.olegvolk.net/gallery/technology/arms/notovandalism.jpg.html

-Weer'd Beard

Buybacks

A Newton police officer (retired) noticed a S&W Schofield (an original - this was before the reintroduction) at a buyback. A couple of the officers cleaned it, oiled it up so it was operational, and then were told there was no procedure for donating it to a museum or even keeping at the PD on a long-term basis since they had made a "contractual obligation" to destroy all buyback guns. Yikes.

So if someone unknowingly brings a true historical firearm from the Civil War or Revolutionary War, these shmucks will be contractually obligated to destroy it? Absolutely absurd.

Chris

I suspect it's hiding behind a convenient excuse. There was always the option of asking the party to whom the promise was made for permission to donate the gun to a museum.

I'd be willing to guess most cases of "our insurance company requires us to...." don't have any actual insurance company requirement behind them.

At the last buy back I drove a buddy around, we had to go to a few stations, who turned in a bunch of junk that people just gave him over the years, because "he shoots right?", that KTP offered 100 bucks for it all. He turned around and had enough to buy a Browning Citori in 12 Ga 3 1/2". 2 guns had no stock, and a few were not even complete let alone functional. And the kicker was all the people at each station were just like my buddy, guys trading in their junk.

''We're not talking about the high-tech guns that criminals are going to be using," Martinez said. ''We know we won't get those folks to turn in their guns. That would be foolish. We're talking about mothers who find guns, youths who know where guns are."

1) What constitutes a "high tech gun" which lends itself to use in a crime?[thinking]

2) Great, encouraging kids to handle guns they don't know anything about... yeah, that won't lead to a bad situation... [/sarchasm]

Matt

Bought my NAA .22 mini revolver for $25 in deplorable condition. Sent it to NAA for 'warrenty work' at a cost of $19.87 in shipping. Got back what looks like a new pistol with the same serial number.

I love buying guns from people who don't know that most companies will refurbish them for next to nothing or even nothing. The hard part is finding the suckers - ah - sellers.

A Gun Buyback would be an ideal place to troll for treasures.

Another useless ploy by a politician that knows his past attempts at crime control have failed, so he wants the public to think he's really doing something about crime.

It's about politicians getting reelected. They don't need to do a good job, just make us think they are. The illusion is what gets them reelected.

How to counter it? After the buy back is over, write the local papers and criticize it as useless, using many of the same arguments already noted.

Want to really cut crime in Boston? Give every adult resident a cheap handgun, and a weekend course on using it. Crime will drop immediately.

Why? The crooks will move to easier pickings, plain and simple.

Back
Top Bottom