Boston Globe: Let chiefs have say on gun permits

What these "reporters" fail to remember, is that you need this license to even POSSESS!

All around the country, people own guns just because they have a drivers license.

We need a permit from our cheif to even own a gun. THat's what pisses me off...

I don't think that these people get it...

Now imagine that all 351 Police Chiefs could decide who would get driver's licenses....
Talk about some wailing and gnashing of teeth!

But why not? What causes more deaths in MA - cars or guns? Which causes more property damage? Which causes medical and property insurance to skyrocket every year?

Never mind guns - focus on those dangerous cars! (notice I said "cars" and not "drivers" - we all know the object is to blame, not the person operating it, right?).

If your Angus the 1998 gun control acts do work..... 1998 1.5 million licensed gun owners, 2008 240,000 licensed gun owners. Over 1 million "gun nuts" have been dealt with. Angus and Jacques, what a a pair of freedom hating libs.

Now imagine that all 351 Police Chiefs could decide who would get driver's licenses....

But why not? What causes more deaths in MA - cars or guns? Which causes more property damage? Which causes medical and property insurance to skyrocket every year?

Never mind guns - focus on those dangerous cars! (notice I said "cars" and not "drivers" - we all know the object is to blame, not the person operating it, right?).

What would make that scenario particularly funny would be the number of people from Westford, Arlington and other green communities driving the streets of Boston, Brookline and their satellite workers' paradises, while the locals look on in disgust (and just a little envy) as they walk to the store or to work.

Ken

Let chiefs have say on gun permits

The Boston Globe published a commentary in rebuttal to the recent articles by Matt Carroll ( http://www.boston.com/news/local/articles/2008/05/29/under_the_gun_1211993154/ "Under the gun") and ( http://www.boston.com/news/local/articles/2008/06/01/weapons_check/ "Weapons check") by Angus G. McQuilken.

Now the http://www.bradycampaign.org/blog/2008/06/05/common-sense-let-chiefs-have-say-on-gun-permits/ Brady Campiagn picked up the story as well, but the Boston Globe editorial board, the Brady Bunch, nor Angus G. McQuilken (Vice President for Public Affairs for Planned Parenthood League of Massachusetts ([email protected]) and former Chief of Staff to State Senator Cheryl Jacques) don't get it, and missed the point of both of the articles altogether, but what else is new?

We're not arguing - against our Chief(s) of Police - in fact the law-abiding citizens of Massachusetts respect them and support them.

Massachusetts needs to decide what kind of "inhabitants" it wants. Do we want law-abiding firearm owners who bear no one ill will and simply want the basic right of self-defense or do we want our limited acres inhabited by illegal aliens and gangbangers killing each other daily costing us millions in tax dollars in Police protection (putting our Officers at risk) each year?

More importantly - laws - need to be applied to every citizen equally otherwise we have chaos. The problem isn't with the Chief(s), it’s with the law being intentionally vague and unnecessarily complex and we admittedly have the like of Angus G. McQuilken and Senator Cheryl Jacques to thank.

In one case, “suitability” is NOT a factor for FID Cards. The FID Card must be issued unless person is automatically disqualified by statute. No discretion is allowed. The FID Card is a “SHALL ISSUE” license.

In another case, an LTC, “suitability” is a factor. The LTC is a “MAY ISSUE” license, but the law doesn’t define what “suitability” means, nor does it specify what makes a person “suitable” nor does it define what a Chief may or may not do to determine “suitability”.

For far too long the state’s firearm licensing laws have been overly complex and lacking in accountability. The current laws leave law-abiding firearms owners often confused about what they can legally own, how or if they can carry, or transport various firearms. In fact, the Chiefs Of Police are strongly discouraged to issue Class B LTC’s due to the public’s confusion over the laws.

Some of these laws pertaining to licensing are truly discriminatory, discretionary, and arbitrary with 351 different licensing authorities, and a minimum of 4 (excluding Class E) classes of licenses not only does this make law enforcement a further challenge, but does not provide for a fair and impartial licensing process to be applied to all law-abiding citizens of the Commonwealth.

Senate Bill 1361 sought (now a relegated to study) to take a single small step toward simplifying the licensing laws, and adding some much needed accountability and clarifying many ambiguities to establish a fair licensing standard.

The bottom line here is that licensing reform is needed to provide equality among the towns across the Commonwealth. Would not any other group (Mothers, Fathers, Gay-Lesbian, Black, and Latino) in Massachusetts DEMAND equal treatment under the law?

http://www.nclsportsmen.org/news_view.aspx?ArticleID=226

Last edited:
Someone from the Pink Pistols should contact this 40'ish "Confirmed Bachelor" who also campaigned to legalize gay marriage....

If you mean McQuilken, you're wrong.

He has a wife and a child was born just before his last (and equally unsuccessful) campaign.

Ronbok, well put, other than the inclusion of the (mildly inflammatory to some people) term "gangbangers" in the piece. +1 to you, and I hope this will be published somewhere other than just nclsportsmen.org.

Just to take this and add a little bit to it so that I can emphasize exactly what the problem is:

Owning guns is a right and not a privalege, therefore you do not need a license to own guns.

Driving is a privalege not a right and therefore it is something that can be discriminated using a licensing system.

As you just said owning a car, by the same logic that they equate with owning a firearm, is far more dangerous than owning a gun. So how does it make sense at all for a police officer to be able to decide wether or not you can obtain a license to practice your RIGHT but not your PRIVALEGE, when practicing your RIGHT is far les dangerous for yourself and others than practicing your PRIVALEGE.

I'll tell you why, because cars arent scary. Thats what makes a liberal's mind tick. It's fear. It's called being a coward.

What facts did they ever have?

Every single place that's got tight controls on who can legally own firearms has skyrocketing crime rates. There's no facts whatsoever to support any sort of gun ban.

In fact, it's almost like the criminals prefer unarmed victims. Who knew?

Since when did Massachusetts have sKYRocketing crime rates? I have not seen them skyrocket. They are still down from 20 years ago. People talk about 10% in this issue or 20% in this issue and assert that they are "SKYROCKETING."

I have to say that it if the murder rate was quadrupled then you would get some that public would understand.

I don't see how anyone can compare Boston's "skyrocketing" crime assertations with the level of crime in Chicagoland, Philly, Dallas, or Houston.

The public doesn't buy it, either.

bill

If you mean McQuilken, you're wrong.

He has a wife and a child was born just before his last (and equally unsuccessful) campaign.

Won't be long before he's out touchy feely woman at the park benches as well.[thinking]

http://www.city-data.com/top26.html
100 safest cities - notice the Mass cities are mostly Green cities/towns

1. Norwood, Pennsylvania (5.7)
2. Southport, New York (8.8)
3. Pell City, Alabama (9.4)
4. Plattekill, New York (10.1)
5. Rockport, Massachusetts (14.7)
6. Bedford, Massachusetts (17.5) GREEN
7. Harvard, Massachusetts (18.0) GREEN
8. Chester, New York (18.7)
9. Highlands, New York (19.8)
10. Eliot, Maine (20.8)
11. Elmira, New York (22.2)
12. Holliston, Massachusetts (25.2) GREEN
13. Easton, Connecticut (25.3)
14. Dunmore, Pennsylvania (25.5)
15. Duxbury, Massachusetts (26.8) GREEN
16. Medway, Massachusetts (27.3) GREEN
17. Frankfort, New York (28.1)
18. Old Tappan, New Jersey (28.2)
19. Southborough, Massachusetts (29.4) GREEN
20. North Reading, Massachusetts (30.1)
21. Ridgefield, Connecticut (30.5)
22. Franklin, Massachusetts (31.1) GREEN
23. Cumberland, Maine (31.6)
24. Batesville, Indiana (32.1)
25. Corcoran, Minnesota (32.2)
26. Lenox, Massachusetts (32.9) GREEN
27. Westford, Massachusetts (33.8) GREEN
28. New Canaan, Connecticut (34.0)
29. Lincoln, Massachusetts (34.1) GREEN
30. Whitehall, Pennsylvania (34.5)
31. Hopkinton, New Hampshire (34.7)
32. Laguna Woods, California (34.7)
33. Medfield, Massachusetts (35.4) UNK
34. Salem, Ohio (35.7)
35. Northville, Michigan (36.7)
36. Rowley, Massachusetts (37.6) UNK
37. Stow, Massachusetts (38.3) GREEN
38. Wrentham, Massachusetts (38.7) UNK
39. Norfolk, Massachusetts (38.9) GREEN
40. Bellbrook, Ohio (39.2)
41. Winfield, Illinois (39.6)
42. Louisville, Ohio (39.7)
43. Reading, Massachusetts (39.9) UNK
44. Upper Saddle River, New Jersey (40.1)
45. North Caldwell, New Jersey (40.5)
46. Topsfield, Massachusetts (40.5)
47. Glen Rock, New Jersey (41.5)
48. Weston, Connecticut (41.5)
49. Holly, Michigan (41.5)
50. Spring Lake Heights, New Jersey (41.5)
51. Groton, Massachusetts (41.9) GREEN
52. Clay, New York (41.9)
53. Hillsdale, New Jersey (42.0)
54. Clarks Summit, Pennsylvania (42.0)
55. Huntington Woods, Michigan (42.5)
56. Powell, Ohio (42.8)
57. Allendale, New Jersey (43.8)
58. Houghton, Michigan (44.1)
59. Bethel, Connecticut (44.4)
60. Georgetown, Massachusetts (44.8) GREEN
61. Ocean Pines, Maryland (44.9)
62. Sharon, Massachusetts (45.1) BLACK
63. Mentor-on-the-Lake, Ohio (45.1)
64. Kinnelon, New Jersey (45.4)
65. Foxborough, Massachusetts (45.5)
66. Midland Park, New Jersey (45.5)
67. North Andover, Massachusetts (45.7) RED
68. Bernardsville, New Jersey (45.8)
69. Glendale, Missouri (45.8)
70. Avon, Connecticut (46.0)
71. Lake Bluff, Illinois (46.9)
72. Madison, Connecticut (47.0)
73. Maywood, New Jersey (47.2)
74. Lindenhurst, Illinois (47.5)
75. Crestwood, Illinois (47.6)
76. East Hampton, Connecticut (47.9)
77. North Branford, Connecticut (48.2)
78. Inverness, Illinois (48.5)
79. Salem, Indiana (49.5)
80. East Bridgewater, Massachusetts (49.5) GREEN
81. Glocester, Rhode Island (49.6)
82. Belmont, Massachusetts (49.6) RED
83. Kermit, Texas (49.6)
84. Maynard, Massachusetts (49.8) GREEN
85. Ballston Spa, New York (50.1)
86. Boxford, Massachusetts (50.4) GREEN
87. Bridgewater, Virginia (50.5)
88. Peachtree City, Georgia (50.6)
89. Brecksville, Ohio (50.6)
90. Waunakee, Wisconsin (51.3)
91. Chardon, Ohio (51.7)
92. Elkhorn, Nebraska (51.9)
93. Spotswood, New Jersey (52.0)
94. Syracuse, Utah (52.3)
95. Seven Hills, Ohio (52.4)
96. Brier, Washington (52.4)
97. Franklin Park, Pennsylvania (52.5)
98. Scituate, Massachusetts (52.7)
99. Westwood, Massachusetts (52.8)
100. Western Springs, Illinois (53.1)

Since when did Massachusetts have sKYRocketing crime rates? I have not seen them skyrocket. They are still down from 20 years ago. People talk about 10% in this issue or 20% in this issue and assert that they are "SKYROCKETING."

I have to say that it if the murder rate was quadrupled then you would get some that public would understand.

I don't see how anyone can compare Boston's "skyrocketing" crime assertations with the level of crime in Chicagoland, Philly, Dallas, or Houston.

The public doesn't buy it, either.

bill

I buy it.

http://www.boston.com/news/local/ar...ke_ranks_high_for_cities_bostons_size/?page=2

Homicide spike ranks high for cities Boston's size
But rate per person is in middle range

By Suzanne Smalley and Maria Cramer, Globe Staff | January 9, 2006

Boston's homicide count last year not only hit a 10-year high, but also took one of the biggest jumps for a city of its size, a Globe review found.

-----------------

Violent crimes skyrocketed in 2005 and 2006 in Boston. They leveled off and dropped slightly in 2007. You have to look at places like Boston, Worcester, Lowell, Brockton. These aren't safe places and they aren't getting better. We know that ICE has had gang round ups. We know there are shootings. We read about the sexual assaults in the BU area. Who are you kidding?

http://www.city-data.com/top26.html
100 safest cities - notice the Mass cities are mostly Green cities/towns

1. Norwood, Pennsylvania (5.7)
2. Southport, New York (8.8)
3. Pell City, Alabama (9.4)
4. Plattekill, New York (10.1)
5. Rockport, Massachusetts (14.7)
6. Bedford, Massachusetts (17.5) GREEN
7. Harvard, Massachusetts (18.0) GREEN
8. Chester, New York (18.7)
9. Highlands, New York (19.8)
10. Eliot, Maine (20.8)
11. Elmira, New York (22.2)
12. Holliston, Massachusetts (25.2) GREEN
13. Easton, Connecticut (25.3)
14. Dunmore, Pennsylvania (25.5)
15. Duxbury, Massachusetts (26.8) GREEN
16. Medway, Massachusetts (27.3) GREEN
17. Frankfort, New York (28.1)
18. Old Tappan, New Jersey (28.2)
19. Southborough, Massachusetts (29.4) GREEN
20. North Reading, Massachusetts (30.1)
21. Ridgefield, Connecticut (30.5)
22. Franklin, Massachusetts (31.1) GREEN
23. Cumberland, Maine (31.6)
24. Batesville, Indiana (32.1)
25. Corcoran, Minnesota (32.2)
26. Lenox, Massachusetts (32.9) GREEN
27. Westford, Massachusetts (33.8) GREEN
28. New Canaan, Connecticut (34.0)
29. Lincoln, Massachusetts (34.1) GREEN
30. Whitehall, Pennsylvania (34.5)
31. Hopkinton, New Hampshire (34.7)
32. Laguna Woods, California (34.7)
33. Medfield, Massachusetts (35.4) UNK
34. Salem, Ohio (35.7)
35. Northville, Michigan (36.7)
36. Rowley, Massachusetts (37.6) UNK
37. Stow, Massachusetts (38.3) GREEN
38. Wrentham, Massachusetts (38.7) UNK
39. Norfolk, Massachusetts (38.9) GREEN
40. Bellbrook, Ohio (39.2)
41. Winfield, Illinois (39.6)
42. Louisville, Ohio (39.7)
43. Reading, Massachusetts (39.9) UNK
44. Upper Saddle River, New Jersey (40.1)
45. North Caldwell, New Jersey (40.5)
46. Topsfield, Massachusetts (40.5)
47. Glen Rock, New Jersey (41.5)
48. Weston, Connecticut (41.5)
49. Holly, Michigan (41.5)
50. Spring Lake Heights, New Jersey (41.5)
51. Groton, Massachusetts (41.9) GREEN
52. Clay, New York (41.9)
53. Hillsdale, New Jersey (42.0)
54. Clarks Summit, Pennsylvania (42.0)
55. Huntington Woods, Michigan (42.5)
56. Powell, Ohio (42.8)
57. Allendale, New Jersey (43.8)
58. Houghton, Michigan (44.1)
59. Bethel, Connecticut (44.4)
60. Georgetown, Massachusetts (44.8) GREEN
61. Ocean Pines, Maryland (44.9)
62. Sharon, Massachusetts (45.1) BLACK
63. Mentor-on-the-Lake, Ohio (45.1)
64. Kinnelon, New Jersey (45.4)
65. Foxborough, Massachusetts (45.5)
66. Midland Park, New Jersey (45.5)
67. North Andover, Massachusetts (45.7) RED
68. Bernardsville, New Jersey (45.8)
69. Glendale, Missouri (45.8)
70. Avon, Connecticut (46.0)
71. Lake Bluff, Illinois (46.9)
72. Madison, Connecticut (47.0)
73. Maywood, New Jersey (47.2)
74. Lindenhurst, Illinois (47.5)
75. Crestwood, Illinois (47.6)
76. East Hampton, Connecticut (47.9)
77. North Branford, Connecticut (48.2)
78. Inverness, Illinois (48.5)
79. Salem, Indiana (49.5)
80. East Bridgewater, Massachusetts (49.5) GREEN
81. Glocester, Rhode Island (49.6)
82. Belmont, Massachusetts (49.6) RED
83. Kermit, Texas (49.6)
84. Maynard, Massachusetts (49.8) GREEN
85. Ballston Spa, New York (50.1)
86. Boxford, Massachusetts (50.4) GREEN
87. Bridgewater, Virginia (50.5)
88. Peachtree City, Georgia (50.6)
89. Brecksville, Ohio (50.6)
90. Waunakee, Wisconsin (51.3)
91. Chardon, Ohio (51.7)
92. Elkhorn, Nebraska (51.9)
93. Spotswood, New Jersey (52.0)
94. Syracuse, Utah (52.3)
95. Seven Hills, Ohio (52.4)
96. Brier, Washington (52.4)
97. Franklin Park, Pennsylvania (52.5)
98. Scituate, Massachusetts (52.7)
99. Westwood, Massachusetts (52.8)
100. Western Springs, Illinois (53.1)

Wheres D.C.? You can't even own a handgun there, must be safe.

Gee - New Hampshire was the Safest State in 2007 but had only one Top 100 Safest Cities vs the many in MA, which got ranked 22 overall. I guess you had better just visit us in NH rather than move here, as our cities aren't too safe. [wink]

So here's my theory why MA CoPs need discretionary authority - since they don't catch criminals, nor hardly try to, they have no criminal records to prohibit FID/LTC issuance. Rather than go catch the criminals, the CoPs wait for them to apply for an LTC and then deny them. Of course they just buy them on the streets, but thats just NH's and VT's lax gun laws to blame.

Perfectly logical. [smile]

Dear Mr. McQuilken;

I read your letter in the Boston Globe today. Regardless of anyone's position on gun control, I must take issue with you regarding the effectiveness of current Massachusetts gun licensing.

Firstly, because the law is so conviluted and vague, police chiefs have taken it upon the themselves to take actions that go beyond the scope of the law. I understand that you have no problem with that, but I do. We are a nation of laws, not of men. We can't have public servants making rules as they go along because that usurps the authority of the People and the legislature.

Secondly, the law as written allows for any restriction the licensing authority deems appropriate, including but not limited to target & hunting, sport, and employment. Nowhere in law are these restrictions defined, and police chiefs themselves do not agree amonmg themselves as to their meaning.

Thirdly, many towns in Mass., perhaps the majority of them, issue unrestricted licenses. The chiefs have indicated that they issue unrestricted licenses to avoid the confusion inherent in the restrictions, and because a person is either a suitable gun owner or not. The law itself eliminates unsuitable candidates, however you have given the police chiefs the ability to set policy for their cities - their employers - based on personal opinion or political leanings. In fact, this is what they do.

Finally, you must be aware that the residents of towns that issue unrestricted licenses by default, are free to travel with a concealed firearm throughout the Commonwealth, and into heavily restricted communities such as Boston, Brookline, Quincy, and Newton without interference by the local chief of police, because the LTC is a statewide license. Furthermore, the default issue of an out of state LTC by the State Police is unrestricted, so an out of state license holder may also travel armed throughout the state and into communities where the residents are prohibited by the chief's local policy. On it's face, the current law is not only unfair but it fails to achieve your desired effect.

Mr, McQuilken, as a voter and citizen I want equal respect and treatment for all individuals. Individual rights are very important to me, and I know you champion women's rights and the rights of people regardless of sexual orientation. So do I. But sir, the Gun Control Act of 1998 is a catastrophe at all levels. I am hoping that the legislature will pass new legislation with high standards that will allow suitable citizens to have the same "shall issue" rights that exist in approximately 40 other states at this time.

Sincerely,

<Wayne Wong>
Independent Voter
XXXXXXX, Massachusetts

Great letter Wong, we can only hope that he and other gun control advocates see the light.

I myself have to periodically defend the right of citizens to possess and carry a firearm. Unfortunately we have lost many in numbers and those that we have lost have also lost the will to fight for the right to bear arms. This site is proving to be a great resource to assist in my ability to debate the matter in an intelligent manner without anger.

Waste no time writing to Angus - it will be about as likely to change his mind as a Brady campaign letter with what they consider "facts" will be to change ours. Angus and the shooting community share one common view - only some police chiefs are handling the situation correctly, and everyone wishes all departments would handle it the way they personally feel is best.

In the hardcopy (paper version) of the article are some charts
PERMISSION GRANTED: Out of the 160 cities and towns in Greater Boston, here are last years top 10 in Class A license per capita, followed by the bottom 10

TOP 10
Plymouth = 95.5 per 1,000 / 264 licenses
Berlin = 88.3 / 240 licenses
Rochester = 83.4 / 451 licenses
Freetown = 81.1 / 727 licenses
Marion = 74.7 / 395 licenses
Wareham = 69.3 / 1,477 licenses
Lakeville = 67.6 / 719 licenses
Middleborough = 67.3 / 1,433 licenses
Upton = 66.3 / 430 licenses
West Bridgewater = 59.4 / 402 licenses

BOTTOM 10
Lexington = 11.9 per 1,000 / 359
Lawrence = 11.3 / 797
Lowell = 11.1 / 1412
Newton = 9.7 / 802
Somerville = 9.2 / 687
Watertown = 8.4 / 271
Chelsea = 8.1 / 267
Cambridge = 5.7 / 578
Boston = 4.8 / 2,811
Brookline = 4.1 / 226

Source: Mass CHSB

Since 1998. You obviously have not been paying attention. Here is the text of the letter that Jim Wallace of GOAL sent to our legistraitors.

Read and learn.

March 24, 2008

Dear Legislator,

2008 will mark the ten year anniversary of the passage of Chapter 180 of the Acts of 1998, otherwise known as the Gun Control Act of 1998. Many of you have had to deal with a continual stream of constituent complaints about licensing delays, unfair denials, illegal overcharging of license fees, the fraudulent Attorney General regulations on handguns and much more over the years. If this were not enough, now what we have all feared the most has come true.

According to a House Post Audit and Oversight Committee report on firearm license numbers, prior to Chapter 180 there were approximately 1,500,000 licensed gun owners in the Commonwealth. Because of the overreaching persecutorial laws and the expense of a license ($100.00), this number has been reduced to approximately 240,000. While some special interest groups might foolishly applaud this reduction in lawful gun owners, no rational person can rejoice in the coinciding drastic increase in crime.

In 1994 the Massachusetts Department of Public Health (MDPH) began tracking gun related assault injuries and deaths in several categories and in two different reporting systems. The two systems are The WRISS Report (Weapon Related Injury Surveillance System) and the ISP (Injury Surveillance Program). Reports from these two systems can be found at http://www.mass.gov/dph/pubstats.htm.

According to the State’s reporting systems in the four years prior to the passage of Chapter 180, during that time there were 1,500,000 licensed gun owners, the following results were reported:

· The WRISS Report released by the MDPH in March of 2007 reflected a 57% DECREASE in firearm related assaults in the four years prior to the 1998 laws.

· ISP reports from 1994 to 1997 reflected a 50% DECREASE in homicide related firearm deaths prior to the 1998 laws taking affect.

Unfortunately for the citizens of the Commonwealth, that trend ended abruptly upon the passage of Chapter 180. In the decade to follow, the number of lawfully licensed gun owners declined by over 80%, however the instances of gun related assaults and homicides have increased drastically. (The following numbers are taken from the most up to date reporting category in each reporting system. Certain categories were not initiated until later, those are reflected in the bullet points below.)

· The WRISS Report released by the Massachusetts Department of Public Health in March of 2007 shows a 78% INCREASE in firearm related assaults since 1998.

· ISP reports from 1998 to 2005 show a 70% INCREASE in homicide related firearm deaths since 1998.

· ISP reports from 1998 to 2005 show a 236% INCREASE in assault related firearm hospital discharges since 1998.

· ISP reports from 1999 to 2005 show a 232% INCREASE in assault related emergency room visits since 1999.

· ISP reports from 2001 to 2005 (the most recent report available) show a 670% INCREASE in assault outpatient observations since 2001.

Even with this overwhelming evidence, there are some that choose to ignore the facts and blame our neighboring states and their laws that support a strong second amendment view. Once again, these people would be ignoring the facts.

On March 14, 2008 the CQPress released its 15th Annual Safest State Awards (Found at: http://www.cqpress.com/product/Crime-State-Rankings-2008.html.) In this publication New Hampshire won out as the safest state to live in the nation. Maine ranked 2nd, Vermont 4th, Connecticut 11th, Rhode Island 12th and sadly, Massachusetts ranked a dismal 22nd.

These facts clearly demonstrate the inarguable fact that the Gun Control Act of 1998 has become one of the greatest civil rights and public safety disasters of modern politics. The wrongful persecution of lawful citizens and the utter lack of any rational policies in fighting the real criminal element have led us to a Decade of Disaster!

It is my hope that the entire legislature will now realize what a great mistake it was to target lawful gun owners in 1998 and work towards reforming what have become to be known as the “Worst in the Nation Gun Laws”.

Just wanted to give thanks to Scrivner for his work on behalf of those of us who are unable to help at a legal level when it comes to Ma. gun laws. +100 (?)

http://www.boston.com/news/local/articles/2008/06/01/weapons_check/
...Boston police commissioner's asking for proof of shooting profiency, which said that while the law did not require a skills test, "It did not prohibit a valid test for minimal competency."
Lieutenant Mark Harrington, commander of Boston's licensing unit, says he doesn't think thats too much to ask.
"If you're going to have a gun," he says, "I think you should know how to use it."

Hmmmm, so the cities that ask you to do the most, gives you the least ?(RESTRICTED LTCs)

[tsk]yep, that makes sense, thats makes a lot of sense [/tsk]

...Boston police commissioner's asking for proof of shooting profiency, which said that while the law did not require a skills test, "It did not prohibit a valid test for minimal competency."

I'm guessing there is no test for minimal competency to be a police commissioner.

Since 1998. You obviously have not been paying attention. Here is the text of the letter that Jim Wallace of GOAL sent to our legistraitors.

Read and learn.

Those are pretty much cherry picked numbers.

Let's look at some other numbers. Let's talk about the amount of crimes per 100,000 persons occurring in Massachusetts during 2006 versus 1986, and 1960.

2006 1986 1960
2.9 3.6 1.4 murder
27.1 29.7 4.8 rape
125 192.7 20.4 robbery
279 906.5 211.1 vehicle theft

Crime is down in Massachusetts. Clearly, almost every resident of the Commonwealth is aware of the general trend. The arguments by some left-wingers to the contrary only sets back the firearms movement. People do not have a clue about those stats as quoted. They do not reflect overall numbers for crimes such as murder.

Come on.

bill

Those are pretty much cherry picked numbers.

Let's look at some other numbers. Let's talk about the amount of crimes per 100,000 persons occurring in Massachusetts during 2006 versus 1986, and 1960.

2006 1986 1960
2.9 3.6 1.4 murder
27.1 29.7 4.8 rape
125 192.7 20.4 robbery
279 906.5 211.1 vehicle theft

Crime is down in Massachusetts. Clearly, almost every resident of the Commonwealth is aware of the general trend. The arguments by some left-wingers to the contrary only sets back the firearms movement. People do not have a clue about those stats as quoted. They do not reflect overall numbers for crimes such as murder.

Come on.

bill
Now who's cherrypicking? And what does 1986 have to do with anything - comparing 1998 to today shows the difference between when the law was passed and today.

And I have no idea what you're talking about with your reference to left-wingers. Are you calling the Executive Director of the Gun Owners Action League a left-winger???

Back
Top Bottom