• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Boston City Ordinance banning CCW???

Some guy I know sort of well was telling me he heard about an ordinance banning CCW within Boston, even for people with an LTC for ALP. I did a little research though the Municipal Codes of Boston but didn't have much luck finding an ordinance as previously described. I know Boston PD always issues the ever so popular target&hunting restriction (sarcasm), but does anyone really know if those of us who do have an LTC-ALP can still carry in the city. I haven't been to Boston since getting my LTC but the next time I go I want to be able to carry w/o putting myself in a jam.

I saw the thread title on the home page and immediately thought to my self: "ah F**** what are these idiots proposing in city hall now..." glad your friend was just FOS...

Truthfully, it wouldn't surprise me at all if Boston implemented a wholesale ban on CCW in the City by anyone. The mental midgets in City Hall (it's not Bacon Hill folks, the City has their own incompetent gov't) are not beyond doing this.

HOWEVER, for reasons that I don't really understand, if it's anything like their rifle, pistol and mag bans that the City Council has passed in the past, it will ONLY be applicable to the slaves that live under Mumbles thumb. And even then, according to Chief Ron Glidden's discussion with the City of Boston's Counsel (lawyers), they (the lawyers) believe that their "laws" are NOT even enforceable. Ron was told that they (City lawyers) were unaware of ANYONE ever being charged under the Boston By-Law prohibiting certain guns/mags.

I don't wear any tinfoil when I go into or thru Boston.

YMMV

HOWEVER, for reasons that I don't really understand, if it's anything like their rifle, pistol and mag bans that the City Council has passed in the past, it will ONLY be applicable to the slaves that live under Mumbles thumb.

I've seen a lot of differing opinions as to whether this is true or not.

LenS said:
And even then, according to Chief Ron Glidden's discussion with the City of Boston's Counsel (lawyers), they (the lawyers) believe that their "laws" are NOT even enforceable.

But this has always made the above discussion pretty irrelevant. Like you, I'm not too worried about ignoring the Boston ordinance.

JD,

I know that I had that discussion with Ron personally a few years ago.

He "memorialized" that position (by Boston's Counsel) in his 9th Edition (2005, pg. 296) and included his comments as a Bold Print "Note". Curiously, the Boston law is ABSENT from Ron's latest book (14th Edition, 2009).

Boston is a craphole. (Before anyone who lives there gets offended: I was born in Boston, & lived there for most of my adult life, until my triumphant escape.)

Your friend, is mistaken though. If you have the proper LTC, you have the permission of our overlords to carry in Boston.

Passage of a local gun law by a town or city in MA requires approval of a "home rule petition" by the legislature - something that was done in the case of the Boston AW ban.

The ban does not apply solely to residents (visitors staying in Boston who have their legal residence outside the city are still subject to it), but contains exemptions for LTC holders present in Boston for a competition with an AW or passing through Boston.

(it's not Bacon Hill folks, the City has their own incompetent gov't)

Careful Len - the way your worded this implies you think that Bacon Hill is competent.

Last edited:
Utter BS. Boston actually issues too many unrestricted LTCs to consider something like this. Besides, I'm sure the Mayor and City Council have plenty of exceptions to the current restrictions policy that they'd like to keep in place.

Back
Top Bottom