Boston area rifle ranges?

A few years ago a current member of the club I quit after 24 yrs (14 of which on the BOD) told me that they made a rule that if you shot your carry gun, you were prohibited from reloading it and reholstering it on the property. I always got shit there for carrying openly on the property. [BTW: It was NOT Braintree or Ames.]
So, what club prohibits to reholster the gun? And if not, what to do with it, toss it into garbage?

OK, I see what you mean, now. Thanks for bearing with me.

I don't see myself getting into action shooting,
so I'm not gonna get all huffy for someone else's pains.

Which has the bonus benefit that I got no alternate
phrasing to suggest to you.
Phrasing was not mine. But, whatever.

The only clubs in MA that allow that sort of thing are the ones that are underused to the point of "dont send bullets over the berm and nobody will care". There are a few places like this west of the loops. Some of them have what I would call very spartan facilities.

Some of you guys need to realize that range rules at most clubs are written to protect the club and the rest of its members from the lowest common denominator. No club board of directors wants to spend time in court because some retard shot himself or his friend on club property.

Think of the dumbest motherf***er you know, and they’re allowed/legal to buy a firearm and join your club. That’s who the rules are written for. Don’t take the restrictions personal, unless you’re that idiot.

The other way around many of these restrictive rules that relate to competitions/practice is to volunteer to head up that discipline at the club. Everyone wants the rules loosened, but no one wants to step up and be responsible for it.

I’m the guy responsible for the rules at my club. I don’t particularly like at least half of the rules we need to have, but they’re necessary.

Or an unofficial group of club members willing to take “friends” to the club as guests.

Club guest policies are for bringing actual friends and getting them interested in the joining the club. Most guest policies are pretty generous as well. Deliberately violating those policies is the same as stealing from your fellow club members.

If you threw parties once a month and your “friends” all brought 3 more ”friends you don’t know and ate all your food and drank all your beer, how would you like that? If one of them shit in your pool because he just a f***in jerk, would that be ok too?

Just a heads up. I have been told by a reliable source that there is to be a new range opening up in North Andover with both indoor and outdoor ranges. It is probably going to be expensive, but may have some pay per use structure.

Or an unofficial group of club members willing to take “friends” to the club as guests.
This is how i got into gun, when i was in my 20s guy that i work with took me to the range, sig 226 was the 1st gun that i shoot. Then i got my permit, and years later i took a few newbies to the range, they inturn get their ccw paper.

Club guest policies are for bringing actual friends and getting them interested in the joining the club. Most guest policies are pretty generous as well. Deliberately violating those policies is the same as stealing from your fellow club members.

If you threw parties once a month and your “friends” all brought 3 more ”friends you don’t know and ate all your food and drank all your beer, how would you like that? If one of them shit in your pool because he just a f***in jerk, would that be ok too?
I have a higher calling, to get more people into gun ownership, Trumps your viewpoint !

Just a heads up. I have been told by a reliable source that there is to be a new range opening up in North Andover with both indoor and outdoor ranges. It is probably going to be expensive, but may have some pay per use structure.
Well that's interesting. Wonder where that's being proposed?....
@jpm

So, what club prohibits to reholster the gun? And if not, what to do with it, toss it into garbage?
I was told this was Sharon Fish & Game. I've never verified it, but knowing who was in charge at that time (he was the reason I quit the BOD and the club), I have no reason to doubt my source.

In spite of that, unless something has changed, I highly recommend this club for those that want to shoot casual skeet and trap on Sunday mornings. That is open to the public (at least pre-COVID), I just wouldn't recommend joining that club.

I was told this was Sharon Fish & Game. I've never verified it, but knowing who was in charge at that time (he was the reason I quit the BOD and the club), I have no reason to doubt my source.
In spite of that, unless something has changed, I highly recommend this club for those that want to shoot casual skeet and trap on Sunday mornings. That is open to the public (at least pre-COVID), I just wouldn't recommend joining that club.
some truths are indeed stranger than any fiction, go figure.
an only comment i have to all that, and to what Dave had said above - you cannot really expect to control stupid with rules. A stupid is by definition not going to be smart enough to follow any rules, so in result most of those rules that were intended to save stupid from themselves become a nuisance for the majority to live with. It has to be some reasonable compromise, and over creation of rules is not the solution.

Fudds dominate many of the boards. They are killing more ranges than they are building.
I have seen it go both ways there have been several clubs in mass saved by regime change is going to the better but it seems like for every club saved another one goes into fudd unusable shit hole land.... same with NH.

I have a higher calling, to get more people into gun ownership, Trumps your viewpoint !
If that was your goal and the guest policy was never going ot be followed why not go shoot on some buddies private land? That's not fair to paying members and frankly if you get popped its gonna cost you your membership too.

If that was your goal and the guest policy was never going ot be followed why not go shoot on some buddies private land? That's not fair to paying members and frankly if you get popped its gonna cost you your membership too.
I’m not so petty I’d complain about some member bringing different gun owners as guests. Are you a skinflint too ?

Not true, you are allowed to bring guests, just not the same one more than 1 or 2 times, then the board wants 5hem to be members. And you as a member are responsible for their actions.
Yes you are allowed to bring guests but I think you are misunderstanding when I say liability concerns. Typically every club requires them to sign in and have a waiver but the club needs to process all of those waivers and make sure they are indexed and documented so if your guest is on the club and accidentally smokes someone on the line and the lawsuits follow the club has a foot to stand on. The want to be able to say that this person wasn't just allowed to wander onto the property and start blasting but was a guest of a member and indemnified the club. The back end BS is why they limit you to a fixed number of guest visits in a year. I think most that i've seen are 3 guest permits in an entire year.

Yes you are allowed to bring guests but I think you are misunderstanding when I say liability concerns. Typically every club requires them to sign in and have a waiver but the club needs to process all of those waivers and make sure they are indexed and documented so if your guest is on the club and accidentally smokes someone on the line and the lawsuits follow the club has a foot to stand on. The want to be able to say that this person wasn't just allowed to wander onto the property and start blasting but was a guest of a member and indemnified the club. The back end BS is why they limit you to a fixed number of guest visits in a year. I think most that i've seen are 3 guest permits in an entire year.
Listen , the more “guests” get to shoot at the range the better for the club and all involved. Under proper supervision. Let’s not get fuddery about hypotheticals.

Listen , the more “guests” get to shoot at the range the better for the club and all involved. Under proper supervision. Let’s not get fuddery about hypotheticals.
Not if it comes at the expense of the place getting shut down. It doesn't even have to be an ND, case head failure that launches a bunch of shit into your eye gets expensive fast and people like to sue. The goal of getting people to the range above and beyond any liability concerns isn't virtuous and in an area with limited ranges and politicians drooling for a reason to close them, its not smart.

LOL there are shitload of clubs with guest limits that have no waivers. I understand clubs banning guests wrt liability but beyond that it's retarded. They should just be honest and simply ban guests during the back end of the year. "One guest one time" is there prevent some freeloader from sighting in some hunting rifle or shotgun every year.. the other way clubs could handle it is to buy guest passes for some fixed amount of money a piece like say 20 bucks or something with a serialized 2 piece card attached to it that the guest fills out and then that card gets deposited in a box by the member when the guest comes...

LOL there are shitload of clubs with guest limits that have no waivers. I understand clubs banning guests wrt liability but beyond that it's retarded. They should just be honest and simply ban guests during the back end of the year. "One guest one time" is there prevent some freeloader from sighting in some hunting rifle or shotgun every year.. the other way clubs could handle it is to buy guest passes for some fixed amount of money a piece like say 20 bucks or something with a serialized 2 piece card attached to it that the guest fills out and then that card gets deposited in a box by the member when the guest comes...
I can speak to the 5 that I shoot at and they all have waivers.

Back
Top Bottom