• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Boston area rifle ranges?

I’ve always wanted to try my hand at long range rifle shooting and lately have been toying with buying something like a Ruger Precision or Tikka T3x TAC. Problem is, I don’t know of anywhere nearby to shoot long range that doesn’t involve joining a third club. Are there any good pay-to-shoot ranges ~1 hour driving from Boston, or am I just going to have to suck it up and join someplace like Harvard if I want access to a long range?

Long range? you’ll need to go up to NH. I think Sig has a 1k yard range. However, if you are okay with mid-range, you could get a membership with Reading Rifle and Revolver north of Boston. They have a 600 yard range.

Ridgeline, north of the white mountains in NH, hosts a PRS match that seems pretty sweet once you get some training and practice. They also have long range courses.

Sorry, should have specified, coming from pistols and shotguns, anything over 200yd is “long” for me. Would love to drive nails 1000yd out, but I have a feeling that being new to this, I’m going to be starting out closer.

Theres 300 and 600 yards all around you. Find out when the clubs have matches or shoots. Reading runs all sorts of matches and shoots. Only stipulation is if your shooting something outside the “match rules” space goes to those shooting in the match first.
So you would shoot “out of competition”
But still get to play. Alot of clubs host shoots just have a solid 100 yard zero and theres always good help at these types of matches/shoots

Theres 300 and 600 yards all around you. Find out when the clubs have matches or shoots. Reading runs all sorts of matches and shoots. Only stipulation is if your shooting something outside the “match rules” space goes to those shooting in the match first.
So you would shoot “out of competition”
But still get to play. Alot of clubs host shoots just have a solid 100 yard zero and theres always good help at these types of matches/shoots
Thanks for the replies everyone so far. I’d like to find a place just to even sight in a rifle before signing up for a clinic or competition. I know there are a number of ranges around, just all the ones I know are members or guests only. I’m not necessarily against joining, I was just hoping to avoid joining a third club and find a place (at least for now) I could just pay per use.

Thanks for the replies everyone so far. I’d like to find a place just to even sight in a rifle before signing up for a clinic or competition. I know there are a number of ranges around, just all the ones I know are members or guests only. I’m not necessarily against joining, I was just hoping to avoid joining a third club and find a place (at least for now) I could just pay per use.
The closest “pay-per-use” outdoor rifle range I know of is Sheepdog Warrior in Catskill, NY.

The only other possible range for that type of setup is Woodcock in N.Dartmouth, but I’m not positive you wouldn’t have to buy a membership there.

The reality is that what you’re looking for really doesn’t exist, and definitely not within an hour of Boston.

I’ve always wanted to try my hand at long range rifle shooting and lately have been toying with buying something like a Ruger Precision or Tikka T3x TAC. Problem is, I don’t know of anywhere nearby to shoot long range that doesn’t involve joining a third club. Are there any good pay-to-shoot ranges ~1 hour driving from Boston, or am I just going to have to suck it up and join someplace like Harvard if I want access to a long range?
There are no walk on pay per use outdoor ranges in this part of the US.

Theres not a lot of pay to use ranges thats for sure.
Best I can say is look to surounding clubs that host public events. Cmp/nra matches as most of these are open to public. Or any other type of rifle league shoot. Often as long as there is room they will let no conforming rifles "shoot"

Woodcock Road in Dartmouth has plates at 200,300,and 500 and is the easiest to join if you can get down there during the day when the RO's are there.

I thought they were putting in a much larger range a while ago. I guess they didn't get the permits?
no, i asked when we had a walk - no plans for 600yds. it is 200/300 only, after qualification. they will do it some time in march.

Harvard doesnt have any long ranges, just 200 and 300 yds.

Oops, already answered like 10 times.

Theres not a lot of pay to use ranges thats for sure.
Best I can say is look to surounding clubs that host public events. Cmp/nra matches as most of these are open to public. Or any other type of rifle league shoot. Often as long as there is room they will let no conforming rifles "shoot"
If you show up at a match or event with no zeros and no clue about the course of fire being shot that day or the normal range operations for a match, you’ll be told “sorry, not happening”. No one wants to babysit you just so you can f*** around on their range while they’re trying to shoot their match. It would be pretty disrespectful and selfish to do that.
There‘s no reason not to look around some and join a club with more of the amenities you’re looking for. Memberships are what keep clubs open, not freeloaders looking to use the facilities at the expense of the paying members.

Be sure to check out your scope zero when you first mount it before you try long distance
{i.e., bore sight, then 3 shots to about point-of aim at 25 yards, then on at 100yds with a 6-o'clock hold}

If you show up at a match or event with no zeros and no clue about the course of fire being shot that day or the normal range operations for a match, you’ll be told “sorry, not happening”. No one wants to babysit you just so you can f*** around on their range while they’re trying to shoot their match. It would be pretty disrespectful and selfish to do that.
There‘s no reason not to look around some and join a club with more of the amenities you’re looking for. Memberships are what keep clubs open, not freeloaders looking to use the facilities at the expense of the paying members.
How do new shooters get the experience then, hmm thats not the my experience but i will say that was NRA service rifle and CMP.
Took all about 5 min for the guys to get me on paper and walk me through the basic come ups. The out pouring of help and the offer to use their equipment was pretty darn impressive. On my 2nd ever XTC i grabbed the wrong ammo. i had several guys just say grab what you need out of my bag. i offered to pay and they refused and juzt said help someone else someday. Which I do by offering Karma for cmp. Which reminds me.
Would I expect that from a match that starts at 1000 yds, maybe not.
There are options, at least for short range and getting the rifle at least on target.

Now I would think anyone interested in some sort of organized shooting event would take the time to call/email the match director and find out.
At many club cmp as long as there is room on relays and you follow along and are safe you can shoot out of competition.
I made a offer to the OP , so when he gets his rifle and can decide to take me up on my offer

Last edited:
Uggg... this is the reason why there are not too many gun owners in newengland , no place too shoot, and it tough to get into gun.i wish that all the gun clubs around here will let people pay and shoot, that way more people will get into this sport, then they are more likely to become progun voters.the way that thing go right now newengland states will become gun free zone in 20 years lol.last time that i went to a gunshow i seen nothing but a bunch of old gunowners , not too many young shooters around,this is sad.

Uggg... this is the reason why there are not too many gun owners in newengland , no place too shoot, and it tough to get into gun.i wish that all the gun clubs around here will let people pay and shoot, that way more people will get into this sport, then they are more likely to become progun voters.the way that thing go right now newengland states will become gun free zone in 20 years lol.last time that i went to a gunshow i seen nothing but a bunch of old gunowners , not too many young shooters around,this is sad.
The young want virtual gun shows and internet sales and pay with venmow

I can tell you no way in hell I want to be placing targets at 100yds in anticipation of a random walk-in who can start shooting while range is cold.
Just to walk in and shoot pistol calibers - there is MFS in Holliston.
If you want to join a club - get a sponsor who will walk you over and apply. I just got into Harvard club - it is all doable, if one is ready to work toward the goal.

The Sunday at maga arms most folks were under 40 and one at his 20s. There are plenty of younger people who care of what shit we are in

I can tell you no way in hell I want to be placing targets at 100yds in anticipation of a random walk-in who can start shooting while range is cold.
Just to walk in and shoot pistol calibers - there is MFS in Holliston.
If you want to join a club - get a sponsor who will walk you over and apply. I just got into Harvard club - it is all doable, if one is ready to work toward the goal.
Pay and shoot would require range safety officers and most likely would require cold range times to place targets.

what is keeping any member at your club from shooting while your down range.

Back
Top Bottom