• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Borrowing a firearm for a day

rkwjunior

NES Member
Newbie here, hence the question I have an LTC-A and my father has an LTC-A (might not matter??). Can i take one of his guns to the range without him, or does the gun have to be registered to me???

thanx

The only guns that must remain with their registered owners are those registered with the ATF. They get testy if you lend/borrow machineguns.

between residents of the same state there are no restrictions outside of the machine gun type stuff, so long as you are properly licensed you can borrow and CCW with it, where as if you lent a gun across a state line there is a federal law restricting it to "sporting purposes only"

I believe there is a time limit on these "loans".

how could the authorities ever keep track of that?? one of my friends has his entire collection of guns spread out amongst 5 or 6 different people, lol. shotguns at this guys house, 2 handguns at another's house, 1 guy carrying this gun, another guy carrying that gun. i even carried his Para Warthog for about 4 months because i was considering buying it, so it was like a "test carry". put it this way, he owns about 20 guns....the only ones he has at his house at the moment are a S&W revolver, a S&W bodyguard .380, a pre-ban AR, and a 870 pistol grip shotty. the other 16 are currently being loaned or borrowed.

in addition to this, i had an encounter with local authorities about 5 years ago while i was in possession of 5 of his handguns (which i was borrowing to take my girl shooting). the 5-0 ran every serial number of every gun which all came up registered to him (not me). i had told him initially that the guns were my friend's, gave his name, and the cop just let me go on my merry way. not one gun was registered to me, it was all good.

Thanks for all the replies. That sounds great, Dear old Dad has a great collection, life is good!!!!.

I thought i was lucky with Dads arsenal........., he was more excited than i was when i told him I got a Pre-ban Steyr AUG on the way. My first firearm.... I cant wait!!!!! and neither can Dad.

how could the authorities ever keep track of that?? one of my friends has his entire collection of guns spread out amongst 5 or 6 different people, lol. shotguns at this guys house, 2 handguns at another's house, 1 guy carrying this gun, another guy carrying that gun. i even carried his Para Warthog for about 4 months because i was considering buying it, so it was like a "test carry". put it this way, he owns about 20 guns....the only ones he has at his house at the moment are a S&W revolver, a S&W bodyguard .380, a pre-ban AR, and a 870 pistol grip shotty. the other 16 are currently being loaned or borrowed.

in addition to this, i had an encounter with local authorities about 5 years ago while i was in possession of 5 of his handguns (which i was borrowing to take my girl shooting). the 5-0 ran every serial number of every gun which all came up registered to him (not me). i had told him initially that the guns were my friend's, gave his name, and the cop just let me go on my merry way. not one gun was registered to me, it was all good.

Care to elaborate? That sounds interesting.

Thanks for all the replies. That sounds great, Dear old Dad has a great collection, life is good!!!!.

I thought i was lucky with Dads arsenal........., he was more excited than i was when i told him I got a Pre-ban Steyr AUG on the way. My first firearm.... I cant wait!!!!! and neither can Dad.

Rob?

You have a citation to back this up? I do not believe this is the case. Any of the usuals around to clear this one?

I can't cite any law or regs but I remember looking into this matter a long time ago and found that BATF wanted paper work done on a transfer that was to last longer than two weeks. Obviously transfers to gunsmiths, etc. were excluded.

You have a citation to back this up? I do not believe this is the case. Any of the usuals around to clear this one?

I can't cite any law or regs but I remember looking into this matter a long time ago and found that BATF wanted paper work done on a transfer that was to last longer than two weeks. Obviously transfers to gunsmiths, etc. were excluded.

Yes, I'd like to see this citation also.

Don't confuse what paperwork BATFE requires of FFLs/gunsmiths with whatever they would require from John-Q Citizen however.

I have never seen anything applying to "normal citizens" (non-licensees in BATFE-speak) wrt any time limits or documentation required for a "loan". Also keep in mind that the title of the thread was "one day", not weeks/months/years.

between residents of the same state there are no restrictions outside of the machine gun type stuff, so long as you are properly licensed you can borrow and CCW with it, where as if you lent a gun across a state line there is a federal law restricting it to "sporting purposes only"

Could someone point me in the right direction so I can read more about the bolded portion above?

According to federal law (18 USC 44 § 922(5)), you are allowed to borrow firearms from residents of another state for 'temporary use for lawful sporting purposes'.

http://codes.lp.findlaw.com/uscode/18/I/44/922

(3) any firearm to any person who the licensee knows or has
reasonable cause to believe does not reside in (or if the person
is a corporation or other business entity, does not maintain a
place of business in) the State in which the licensee's place of
business is located, except that this paragraph (A) shall not
apply to the sale or delivery of any rifle or shotgun to a
resident of a State other than a State in which the licensee's
place of business is located if the transferee meets in person
with the transferor to accomplish the transfer, and the sale,
delivery, and receipt fully comply with the legal conditions of
sale in both such States (and any licensed manufacturer, importer
or dealer shall be presumed, for purposes of this subparagraph,
in the absence of evidence to the contrary, to have had actual
knowledge of the State laws and published ordinances of both
States), and (B) shall not apply to the loan or rental of a
firearm to any person for temporary use for lawful sporting
purposes;

Last edited:
The original question was about borrowing for a day at the range...but what about carrying someone else's gun?

Did they just make sure they were not stolen? I didn't think it was that simple to run the numbers from the database the FA10s go to. Also, I know more than one person that has requested a list of the firearms criminal history records has listed to them and the list was less than accurate. IE guns missing, guns they had sold still on the list.

How would anyone know how long you had it for. As long as it is not stolen and you are properly licensed I dont see how there could be any issues.

If you used the gun across a state line, and admitted it wasn't yours, or they traced it back to the owner that is how they would know.

And if push came to shove is the person you borrowed the gun from going to go do time if the Feds offer him/her a plea bargain or transactional immunity?

I just returned a .22 pistol I have had here for 5 years. It was a loaner, and the only place it ever went was to MFL to plink with.

I would not expect a lot of questions to be asked about a Ruger Mk1, it is for the most part a target shooting gun, and you'd be hard pressed to prove otherwise.

Did they just make sure they were not stolen? I didn't think it was that simple to run the numbers from the database the FA10s go to. Also, I know more than one person that has requested a list of the firearms criminal history records has listed to them and the list was less than accurate. IE guns missing, guns they had sold still on the list.

he just radio'd into dispatch every serial number, the girl back at the station must have been checking them in the main firearm database. she obviously was obtaining accurate info since she told him every gun was registered to my friend, she knew his first & last name, & his address. she was correct.

Back
Top Bottom