• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Blast from the past

those remington boxes don't look all that old. when did that retailer close? by the look of the box i would guess closer around 2002-2006

Funny, I was thinking of starting this same thread...I have WW primers at $18.25 a box and 1lb Accurate #5 at $14.75 from Riley’s..and I just finished a pound of WW powder in the $12 range..

The old spags 1.99 sluggers. When my dad couldn't shoot anymore he brought over all his 12ga slugs. Found a few boxes like that myself. He used to buy 5-10 boxes for every season and use 2-3 actual slugs per year, and maybe a few for check shots before the season. Needless to say he had a shit ton after 30 years of hunting.

those remington boxes don't look all that old. when did that retailer close? by the look of the box i would guess closer around 2002-2006
2004 Spags closed. But, I think they shut down the sporting goods barn before that.

Great memories of going there.
I remember buying a Mikita 9 volt cordless drill kit there for $95.00.
Used to go there for Herman Survivor work boots when they were actually decent boots.
Their Carhartt clothing section was large as well.

Spags "No bags" or credit cards!

spags.jpg spags1.jpg spags1.jpg

Last edited:
Ahh that makes sense. I’m a north shore boy. Don’t know that area.
Used to live in Waltham as a kid. We'd see the promotional search lights and beg my father to drive and find them. Surprisingly, he did that a few times. One of those times, we ended up at Spags. Must've been 30 miles or so. Fond memories from my childhood...

Ahh that makes sense. I’m a north shore boy. Don’t know that area.
Everybody new about Spags, even if you never went there, tons of commercials on tv and radio. I went there once, just because of all the hype.
A great store, everything under the sun, good prices, definitely a retail Hall of Fame candidate!

Yeah. It's hard in retail to be that sort of guy anymore. Spags. Benny's. Places like that. I HATED Benny's. Because it just looked like. . . . 1962 in there. But dammit if they were never out of stock of anything they were in stock of (you know what I mean) and you'd find stuff there that you couldn't find elsewhere and if you didn't know where to buy something, you learned ALWAYS to start at Benny's.

Once the ownership changed generations, they realized that no one could run it like that anymore AND compete with the big retailers. So they closed it down. :(.

Didn't Spag sell to Building 19?? THAT was an awful store. 40 years of shopping there I never liked it. Except for the occasional rug that my wife needed in the 90's and early 2000's, I never found anything worth buying there. My brother used to haunt the place for scratch-and-dent stereo equipment. All I ever found was stereo equipment at 95% of retail that someone dropped off the back of a truck. LOL

I try to favor the small guy just because they tend to have just what I need and will help me grab it while I'm in there. Anything paint related, I rush to teh nearest Ben Moore dealer. In Taunton, that's Manny's. They bend over backwards to help you there. Very Spags/Benny's like. But not too many of even THOSE places around anymore.

20200621_151800.jpg 20200621_151800.jpg

Another one,Kmart. This one is not as iconic as the Spags. But, way back when Kmart had a real sporting good section. Now they are deceased. Dick's....soon to be.

Spags was the original big box hardware store......Packed to the ceiling with everything you could imagine.

Went there a lot in the 1970's and 1980's. GREAT PLACE!

Have a walnut tree growing in my backyard that I bought there around 1980.

Spags was cool!

I remember years ago a TV infomercial with this weirdo selling junk, I think from NH. He may have worn balloons on his head and maybe had a horn or something to make noise.

Anyone remember this?
I remember the commercials but I don't remember the name.

Back
Top Bottom