• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

black powder pistol

NO, so long as it is an antique or a replica thereof. Good luck getting power and caps for it w/o at least an FID card, however.

And NO, you cannot carry it w/o an LTC. Check the laws for reenactors.

I am a collector & have been for about 3.75 years now.

In MA, you do not need FID to purchase or own any black powder rifle or pistol, or any other firearm manufactured prior to Dec 31st 1898, or a replica produced after to be a copy in function as the original.

However, once purchased, the gun in only legal in your home, or in your place of business. You must own the business for legal possession at such, unless with FID/LTC.

You do need an FID to transport them in your vehicle, so, if you plan on shooting at the range, you need an FID, or you need to have a club member with FID bring your gun for you.

You are not allowed to possess black powder guns outside of your home or own business without FID or LTC.

You do not need FID to purchase black powder, pyrodex pellets or balls. caps & primers

Last edited:
if i am correct-you need a FID to buy powder and caps but you dont need a FID to possess them. i have about 4 cans of powder in my room. powder getting is hard to find,who sells goex black powder around the plymouth area?

if i am correct-you need a FID to buy powder and caps but you dont need a FID to possess them. i have about 4 cans of powder in my room. powder getting is hard to find,who sells goex black powder around the plymouth area?

Gordon Wilson Jenks & Company is a Mass based distrubutor in Westfield that can tell you where to find it retail. Though Hornady is more easy to find, especially in pellet form.

Was this before or after 1998?

after. 2003-2006 never once ever asked me for FID at all anywhere ever for buying black powder, powder pellets, primers & percussion caps. Even when buying them online via mail order have never been asked to show FID.

Even the BATF website lists them as exempt in one of their open letters

Even when buying them online via mail order have never been asked to show FID.

Even the BATF website lists them as exempt in one of their open letters

The guns are exempt under FEDERAL law, which is all that BATFE has jurisdiction over. Its dictates do NOT supercede state law.

Carry a loaded black powder pistol w/o an LTC and you're inviting trouble.

The guns are exempt under FEDERAL law, which is all that BATFE has jurisdiction over. Its dictates do NOT supercede state law.

Carry a loaded black powder pistol w/o an LTC and you're inviting trouble.

I mentioned nothing about carrying a loaded black powder pistol w/o ltc. I did however, earlier in this same thread state that LTC is required to carry in MA. I am just pointing out that from my own experiences in MA that I was never asked to show FID to purchase any black powder guns, powder, primers, caps, etc. My purchases have been made in gun shops, gunsmiths, gun shows, sporting goods stores & online vendors, but since I moved to NH last October, I no longer shop in MA.

I myself would never carry a loaded black powder anything, unless hunting.
Everything else, such as target shooting, or shooting at club/range, I carry unloaded & load according to club/range rules & when safe to do so.

Back
Top Bottom