Bipods, need some info...

I know they hold the front of the gun up and make a more stable platform. Aside from that, not so much... Seriously though, I need some help. I have a couple of guns I think I should equip with a bipod, but I have NO idea how to choose. Here are the guns:

Bolt 30.06 Ruger I want to shoot 100-500 yards, probably bench.
A Savage mkii-f 22 I want to shoot 50-150 yards, probably bench.
Choice between a Windham and Mossberg AR-style I want to shoot 100-200 yards, probably bench. The other will likely get a forward grip (maybe a Grip-pod) for shorter distances.

So, what do I look for in a bipod? Brand? Height? Other features I don't even know about?

For AR's, the typical bipod is 6"-9" size. I recently did some shopping for my AR 6.5 Creedmoor build and decided the most stable platform would be the Harris 6-9" HBRM non-swivel model. It has notches for hard stops on the legs.

http://www.harrisbipods.com/HBRM.html

I'm happy with it. AR is shooting average 0.6 MOA so far on factory ammo, so the bipod is doing its job. Edit- I highly recommend Harris. 100% USA made, lots of options, lots of accessories, and good deals can be found.

Dangggg Atlas bipeds are $300 ? God Lee !
I second Harris ! Works great I got the one with the swivel it's fresh

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6-9 will work well for bench or prone with occasional field use on the bolt guns.

For heavy field use in grass, brush, etc, 9-12 tends to be a little more versatile. It is less useful on the bench though.

The same heights will work well if you're running a 10rd mag in the ARs. Again stay with the 6-9 unless it's for field use.

I personally like a bipod that can swivel and also be locked in at whatever angle you need.

bipods add a ton of weight to a rifle. in general i favor using shooting sticks (portable bipod) as they are easily carried as part of a rig and can be setup anywhere.

these Vanguard Scout bipod/sticks work awesome and super light. for turkey hunting they are sweet.
http://www.gandermountain.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?pdesc=Vanguard-Scout-B62-Bi-Pod&i=421641

just a thought for you. if you're set on mounting a bipod directly to rifle, that's cool too. lots of great options as mentioned above.

For AR's, the typical bipod is 6"-9" size.
this is something that stopped me from buying a bipod, the height. i think manufacturers offer 3 heights, never really knew which one to get. i guess that mystery of life is solved.

Dangggg Atlas bipeds are $300 ? God Lee !
I second Harris ! Works great I got the one with the swivel it's fresh
a little pricey for me, atlas, i think harris is the way to go, also.

Not a huge fan of bi-pods for AR style rifles. I had a Harris set up for my Sig and it was fine, but I did not like the extra bulk or weight, and if the need ever arose for real use, a lot of shooting would be off hand, where the extra weight would not be welcome. I prefer sand bags at the range when shooting the AR at 300 yards.

The Harris found a permanent home on my Rem 700, where it brings me great joy to be able to cycle the bolt without loosing cheek weld and sight picture.

I went with the "grip pod" for AR's. http://www.brownells.com/shooting-a...grip-pod-gps-02-military-model-prod24481.aspx. Some folks hate them, but it works well for me. I wanted a front grip any way and it can be put on any AR with a rail in seconds.

I know they hold the front of the gun up and make a more stable platform. Aside from that, not so much... Seriously though, I need some help. I have a couple of guns I think I should equip with a bipod, but I have NO idea how to choose. Here are the guns:

Choice between a Windham and Mossberg AR-style I want to shoot 100-200 yards, probably bench. The other will likely get a forward grip (maybe a Grip-pod) for shorter distances.

So, what do I look for in a bipod? Brand? Height? Other features I don't even know about?

If your going to shoot from the bench more than anything go with a decent front rest and a rear bag.
I shoot prone more than bench and just use a USGI loop sling and a,sandbag to support my forward arm
If you just want a bipod for quick shooting go for the Harris with adjustable legs and one that pivots.

Last edited:
I have Harris S-BRM bipods on all three of my DMR-type ARs.

To be honest though, I shoot them all of sandbags more often than I use the bipods, lol.

If you do get one, make sure to get a pod-loc for it.

generally speaking i'm not a benchrest person. for testing accuracy it's great, but in terms of building my skills i have found it borderline useless and unrealistic. so in general i try to use an apparatus that is easily carried or setup in the field. while Nutnfancy can be annoying, he does a nice job on this topic. At 13 minutes he begins to cover the shooting sticks.

Last edited by a moderator:
generally speaking i'm not a benchrest person. for testing accuracy it's great, but in terms of building my skills i have found it borderline useless and unrealistic. so in general i try to use an apparatus that is easily carried or setup in the field. while Nutnfancy can be annoying, he does a nice job on this topic. At 13 minutes he begins to cover the shooting sticks.

If you can't stand nutnfancy, Tiborasaurus Rex is like the ONE gun channel (besides mbest11x) I really like on Youtube. The dude is insanely knowledgeable.

Last edited by a moderator:
Harris for me, easy on , easy off when shooting at the bench of free hand.... or switching between rifles!
6-9 is the way to go!

You can get cheaper, but for steadiness and product reliability, I choose Harris.

Harris are nice, I went with an Atlas:

https://www.accu-shot.com/Atlas_Bipods.php

-chris

I will not use anything other than Atlas. I've seen Harris after a couple years all wiggly and s(hitt, I mean, look, if you have a 4-600 dollar rifle, its your call. You have a couple thousand or more in a BR or platform that you have to have 100% reliability, Atlas all the way.

Holy Thread Revival Batman. I am kicking around the idea of a bipod for the AR but I am not really sure. This would be for hunting coyotes. I see myself seated more than prone for this endeavor so I am wondering if another option would suit me better. Especially after reading through these comments. Looking for some help. Thx.

Holy Thread Revival Batman. I am kicking around the idea of a bipod for the AR but I am not really sure. This would be for hunting coyotes. I see myself seated more than prone for this endeavor so I am wondering if another option would suit me better. Especially after reading through these comments. Looking for some help. Thx.
Bipods are really for bench or prone. If your going to be shooting seated you may want to look at shooting sticks:

If you still want a bipod and we’re talking your Christiensen CA5Five6 you might want to consider the UTG RECON FLEX or FLEX II from Leapers. They attach directly to your handguard via the M-LOK slots at the 3 and 9 o’clock positions. They are very compact and light, but they don’t swivel or cant. They come in a couple of different heights, here is the FLEX II in 7”-9”:

I have them on my MCX Virtus and they work fine for me. See my post in Deals and steals for a pic of them on my MCX.

Bags would probably be better off the bench.
I run harris when Im to lazy to bring the bags.

If your going to be doing a lot of bench shooting maybe a bench set up
1645577665820.png

Bags would probably be better off the bench.
I run harris when Im to lazy to bring the bags.

If your going to be doing a lot of bench shooting maybe a bench set up
View attachment 581004
Wow, love that gun!

My goal is to be off the bench once I am comfortable with the accuracy. 100% hunting type positions. I am still on the fence about what to do. I will definitely be shooting off my pack, but iI have to figure what to do if I am sitting, which is highly likely. An elk or deer is one thing. At 250 yards probably have time to get into position. I am not sure I will have that luxury for coyote. Good thing is coyotes are not considered a game animal here so I can hunt them year round and get plenty of practice.

Bipods have their place for prone PRS type target engagements. If your looking for the best precision benchrest get a sturdy rest or a sled. If you insist on shooting bench with a bipod screw or clamp a 1x3 stop in front of the legs , bump the bipod feet against the wood and slightly load the rifle/ bipod with your shoulder forward and this helps to create a more steady hold and minimise bipod bounce.

Wow, love that gun!

My goal is to be off the bench once I am comfortable with the accuracy. 100% hunting type positions. I am still on the fence about what to do. I will definitely be shooting off my pack, but iI have to figure what to do if I am sitting, which is highly likely. An elk or deer is one thing. At 250 yards probably have time to get into position. I am not sure I will have that luxury for coyote. Good thing is coyotes are not considered a game animal here so I can hunt them year round and get plenty of practice.
when we where "hunting" rats at the dump we often propped up against a tree and shot in the seated positions
as seen here

If hunting is your end goal practice shooting off hand/ sitting with a 22 until your getting consistent impacts in the "vital zone" of what your shooting at and the distance as skill grows practice more with the hunting rig.

My dad would hang paper plates at staggered yardage and we would see if we could get 3 consecutive shots on taget. Then he would bump it out another 25 yards. When I was young and had good eyes I could hit the paper plate 5/5 at about 130 yards good. Now I struggle to keep shots on a 13" bulls eye at 200 yards

Back
Top Bottom