• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Bipods

peterk123

NES Member
Can you guys educate me on bipods for an AR? Some can swivel and pivot, legs can adjust, etc. And then how to mount? This would be for my wife's Christiansen. Has a free floating guard with m-lok slots. Do I put a picatinny on there? Or is there a mount specific for the m-lok? Goal would be to use it mostly for target. Ultimately though, coyotes. Not sure how practical they are in the field though unless legs can extend so she could kneel or sit. But that looks like it would require another one. Like everything, too many options. Thx Pete

If you will be laying down or resting the rifle on a table a bipod will work. If not, use a tripod.

Atlas makes excellent bipods.

Having Mlock is nice because you can choose how you want to mount it and get the arca rail, or picatinny or whatever you want to use. You just have to get the ones that attach to Mlock.

So, most do not attach directly to the m-lok? You attach whatever system you want to it like a picatinny and go from there?

This atlas one's are bucks. Worth it?

First, if this is for an AR, make sure you don’t mount the bipod or any other mlok attachments underneath the gas block. When loading up the bipod you can inadvertently push mlok screws/nuts up to the gas block and change harmonics. Always a good idea to leave that section of mlok alone.

There are mlok bipod options, but it is not a quick disconnect attachment if you want that. For that, you’ll want to use picatinny or ARCA attachments for the mlok.

For a bipod, you absolutely want one that can rotate its cant(tilt) so you can level the rifle on uneven ground.

I haven’t used the atlas, but hear great things. I’ve used a non-tilting Harris for a while because it is what I’ve had. It works, but it’s heavy. Newer versions do allow rotation. And heavy doesn’t matter for range time, but may matter when coyote hunting.

The Magpul is lighter than the Harris, but not as rigid.

I’ll probably be picking up an atlas for ccompetition work, but I’m very curious about this new bipod from MDT. As light as the Magpul, but I hear it is sturdier. Can’t say for sure yet though. Downside is that it can only be attached with mlok or a sling stud. No QD options. https://mdttac.com/oryx-bipod/

One hunting QD bipod/tripod setup I’d like to try is the Javelin. But, I don’t know if I’ll ever give it a go: Javelin Bipods®

Last edited:
If you will be laying down or resting the rifle on a table a bipod will work. If not, use a tripod.

Atlas makes excellent bipods.

Having Mlock is nice because you can choose how you want to mount it and get the arca rail, or picatinny or whatever you want to use. You just have to get the ones that attach to Mlock.
Whoah.... just realizing what you wrote. Bipod and arca. Bring along a tripod and she can shoot any way she wants! Man Christmas will be fun this year.

Traverse is f***ing stupid, get a bipod without it. You dont want the rifle recoiling anywhere but in line with the bipod legs. Traverse is for machineguns not precision.

I hate atlas because i dont like the detent buttons to swing the legs down, it takes too long to deploy them. Also i hate the leg extension detents dust gets in the bearings and they wont lock. They're also heavy. I honestly think the reason atlas is so popular is because it costs more than harris so people think its better. I shitcanned my bt6 on my accuracy international for a harris brm in an mlok mount i modified to work with AI's keyslot. Id honestly trade it for a harris and its half the price but i cant find anybody with a harris who wants my faggy atlas.

IMG_20231118_163807_406.jpg

The Magpul bipods are pretty f***ing trash unless you're going for minimal weight/cost. And even then its pretty meh. Absolutely do not recommend on something you are going for accuracy with as they pan and traverse and they're flimsy as f***. I have seen them come loose and be rotated 45-90⁰ on guys rails in training a ton of times. Seriously, magpul is an awesome company i love a lot of their products, the bipod is a no go for serious precision use. Like i guess it beats a grip pod... ....maybe.... for cool points... but thats about it... idk, open to debate there.

Harris are dated tech and the linkage sucks, but otherwise they are pretty solid, i only ever broke one and by broke i mean a screw or something backed out. Major positives are no traverse, friction override leg deployment with some stupid detent, and the spring loaded legs where you just push the little button and it pops out to full extension.

I currently use harris brm's in badger ordnance low profile harris mounts on all my setups with mlok. The only downside is its permanently attached but i honestly dont care they can live on the rifle, if a bipod is too heavy for you idk what to tell you... oh wait yeah i do... LIFT WEIGHTS POST PHYSIQUE!!!! Its usually the PRS nerds who cry about that kind of stuff, idk bro maybe carry one less pillow in your rolly cart so you can afford the bipod... For unfortunate cqb stuff with my spr ill sometimes pop a leg down for a hasty foregrip if i want so i lije the bipod on there, the lphm eliminates the dumb thumb screw linkage and crap in the front so it has less moving parts and it works pretty tits (like them round 36Cs) as a barricade stop. A badass hack i got from Alex at ridgeline is the 550 loop on your harris legs, you can see it in the pics below, with that i can pull the cord loop and deploy my harris in a half second, another reason i hate my peepeepoopoo atlas with its dumb detents. Another good upgrade are the cant locking levers.

IMG_20230902_195133_153.jpg
IMG_20230511_221146_187.jpg

There are some new bipods out that are more oriented to prs guys but are sick and worth looking into, the ckypod is great. I really want to get a thunderbeast for my AI on a full length arca, those things are nasty all the top prs guys out here are using them. MDT and accutech look alright no experience with them.

TLDR/PS: anybody who wants to trade me a harris for my atlas, or buy my atlas hmu i wont judge.

Last edited:
Yup ditto on the slow deployment speed of the atlas. For speed and ease I would run the Harris. You can deploy legs with one hand and with little to no training. Atlas requires training and muscle memory to deploy with any semblance of speed. Atlas bipods are built like tanks though, I'll give em that.

If your wife has a bolt action, Christensen arms makes Ar15s too, then go with an arca rail. You can mount the bipod anywhere along the whole length of the rail which comes in handy when you're working with different types of supports. Plus you can run a tripod on arca rails too.

This atlas one's are bucks. Worth it?
In my opinion, Yes. I don't like Harris. But a lot depends on how you will be using it.

I have one with quick disconnect. I can use it on several rifles.

Back to post #2 ... depending on how you will hunt, you might not even need a bipod.

For my latest hunt, I left the bipod at home.

Last edited:
Atlas Is they way to go… at least when I was shopping 15 years ago.. everybody bought the cheap Harrison and I’d laugh at them if you really shoot, they always fall apart.

I’m sure now there’s so many options.

For the bigger guns, the older military stuff the way to go other than it’s heavy as f***. And costs fortune.

They did make not off Alta’s ones then too.. a lot of people went for them and they just weren’t that good

I use my Atlas on everything from my rifles, to crossbows to even my 460 mag handgun. Outstanding quality and features. Zero regrets spending the money.

I’ve been happy with Harris.

My Daniel Defense has rails my other ARs don’t.

Attachments

• IMG_4444.jpeg
    IMG_4444.jpeg
    656.9 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_4442.jpeg
    IMG_4442.jpeg
    641.7 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_4440.jpeg
    IMG_4440.jpeg
    811.3 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_4439.jpeg
    IMG_4439.jpeg
    817.2 KB · Views: 20
For lightweight, I like the MDT Grnd-Pod that I have. I got the version without any quick connect and added my own Area419 Arca Clamp.

For you, I'd add an Arca rail via mlock. That way you can use that same arca rail on a tripod or any other accessory you need.

As for Atlas, they're good, but I also find that button trips me up when I'm in a hurry.

I've actually been switching to Accu-Tac. Deploying the legs just takes pulling on them and extending them also just take a pull.

I'd really like to try a Ckye-Pod, but can't stomach the price. Maybe I'll grab one during the BF website meltdown that is coming up.

I've also read great things of TBAC... but I've never seen one in person

Traverse is f***ing stupid, get a bipod without it. You dont want the rifle recoiling anywhere but in line with the bipod legs. Traverse is for machineguns not precision.

I hate atlas because i dont like the detent buttons to swing the legs down, it takes too long to deploy them. Also i hate the leg extension detents dust gets in the bearings and they wont lock. They're also heavy. I honestly think the reason atlas is so popular is because it costs more than harris so people think its better. I shitcanned my bt6 on my accuracy international for a harris brm in an mlok mount i modified to work with AI's keyslot. Id honestly trade it for a harris and its half the price but i cant find anybody with a harris who wants my faggy atlas.

View attachment 819456

The Magpul bipods are pretty f***ing trash unless you're going for minimal weight/cost. And even then its pretty meh. Absolutely do not recommend on something you are going for accuracy with as they pan and traverse and they're flimsy as f***. I have seen them come loose and be rotated 45-90⁰ on guys rails in training a ton of times. Seriously, magpul is an awesome company i love a lot of their products, the bipod is a no go for serious precision use. Like i guess it beats a grip pod... ....maybe.... for cool points... but thats about it... idk, open to debate there.

Harris are dated tech and the linkage sucks, but otherwise they are pretty solid, i only ever broke one and by broke i mean a screw or something backed out. Major positives are no traverse, friction override leg deployment with some stupid detent, and the spring loaded legs where you just push the little button and it pops out to full extension.

I currently use harris brm's in badger ordnance low profile harris mounts on all my setups with mlok. The only downside is its permanently attached but i honestly dont care they can live on the rifle, if a bipod is too heavy for you idk what to tell you... oh wait yeah i do... LIFT WEIGHTS POST PHYSIQUE!!!! Its usually the PRS nerds who cry about that kind of stuff, idk bro maybe carry one less pillow in your rolly cart so you can afford the bipod... For unfortunate cqb stuff with my spr ill sometimes pop a leg down for a hasty foregrip if i want so i lije the bipod on there, the lphm eliminates the dumb thumb screw linkage and crap in the front so it has less moving parts and it works pretty tits (like them round 36Cs) as a barricade stop. A badass hack i got from Alex at ridgeline is the 550 loop on your harris legs, you can see it in the pics below, with that i can pull the cord loop and deploy my harris in a half second, another reason i hate my peepeepoopoo atlas with its dumb detents. Another good upgrade are the cant locking levers.

View attachment 819455
View attachment 819457

There are some new bipods out that are more oriented to prs guys but are sick and worth looking into, the ckypod is great. I really want to get a thunderbeast for my AI on a full length arca, those things are nasty all the top prs guys out here are using them. MDT and accutech look alright no experience with them.

TLDR/PS: anybody who wants to trade me a harris for my atlas, or buy my atlas hmu i wont judge.
Too big? 20231122_091423.jpg

For lightweight, I like the MDT Grnd-Pod that I have. I got the version without any quick connect and added my own Area419 Arca Clamp.

For you, I'd add an Arca rail via mlock. That way you can use that same arca rail on a tripod or any other accessory you need.

As for Atlas, they're good, but I also find that button trips me up when I'm in a hurry.

I've actually been switching to Accu-Tac. Deploying the legs just takes pulling on them and extending them also just take a pull.

I'd really like to try a Ckye-Pod, but can't stomach the price. Maybe I'll grab one during the BF website meltdown that is coming up.

I've also read great things of TBAC... but I've never seen one in person

The TBACs are really nice, essentially all the things you like in a harris in a simpler, lighter, wider, bipod.

View attachment 819456

View attachment 819455
View attachment 819457

this much flex should be bannable. nice pics.

Is it too big for your purpose? It may not work for your needs as it is for a stud mount. you were looking for a Harris bipod right?

Oh yeah sorry, normally 8" is no problem for me but for a rifle bipod its too bouchou, plus i do mlok.

Back
Top Bottom