• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Best way to disguise my safe?

babygorilla

NES Member
So my gun safe, along with 2 filing cabinets (1 for miscellaneous gun stuff and files, 1 locked fireproof one for ammo and reloading stuff) are in a corner of my basement. Yes, the safe and cabinets are on PT 2x4's and bolted to concrete pad.

The wife and I are considering moving and will be selling this house. Meaning, there may be an open house.

I am thinking the empty cardboard boxes "hollowed" out to form around the lot and taped together as the best means to hide the safe and maybe the file cabinets.

Anyone ever do anything like that or hide their safe in a better manner. Figured I would ask the brain trust. Thanks.

if I were a thief casing the house during the open house, I'd think something of value was being hidden in plain sight and worth checking out at a later date with a b&e.

slap a dress on her, and call him Carl. they can't assume to know the identity of your safe!

real answer, out of sight out of mind. hide it behind some shelving or move some other "moving" supplies in front of it to camouflage it. they're there looking at the house, not looking specifically for your safe. unless they're criminals out perusing their next smash and grab. but again out of sight, out of mind, and you should be good to go. hopefully you or the realtor is around when these people are in your house. they can open cupboards to see they layout of kitchen shelves etc, that's reasonable. but poking around your basement would be a no no and should raise some eye brows

So my gun safe, along with 2 filing cabinets (1 for miscellaneous gun stuff and files, 1 locked fireproof one for ammo and reloading stuff) are in a corner of my basement. Yes, the safe and cabinets are on PT 2x4's and bolted to concrete pad.

The wife and I are considering moving and will be selling this house. Meaning, there may be an open house.

I am thinking the empty cardboard boxes "hollowed" out to form around the lot and taped together as the best means to hide the safe and maybe the file cabinets.

Anyone ever do anything like that or hide their safe in a better manner. Figured I would ask the brain trust. Thanks.
If I did that I'd take a sharpie and label them "Christmas"

I’ve contemplated something like this to keep service personnel unaware.

View attachment 461887
View attachment 461888

For the filing cabinets, can you just lock them?

That's neat, but during an open house, I'd bet people would open it.

Make a hollowed out cardboard box to cover it. Especially in the basement, people will thing it's just a giant moving/storage box.

Or just cover it all with a blue tarp.

You want the best way then cover it with custom wood working. Cheaper is make it look like an old wooden crate.
cheap or skinflint is a refrigerator box.
Your file cabinets can be a dishwasher box or washer/dryer boxes.
Long before you get to the open house stages how’s the level of crap and cleaning up everything else first?

Do absolutely nothing, 90% of people dont give a F what you have
Yeah, but then there are those 10% who talk to their shady friends and the shady friends have ideas pop in their heads. It happens time and time again.

Lowering the number of people who know what you have is right up there with not telling strangers when you’ll be out of town. My sister in law told the local newspaper where they live that they’d be out of town for Easter one year, when the paper was asking for people’s holiday plans. No idea why she said it, but their house was broken into and most of my brother’s guns were stolen. 🤦‍♂️

You're selling, so let people see what they expect to see.

If the safe will fit, cut the bottom out and drop it over, or recut to fit.

GetMedia

Agreed. But I think a very simple lock for the doors would keep out nosey open house visitors.
When we were moving out of Mass, I was also concerned. The advantage I had was that all my gun stuff was in a room I built in the basement for that purpose. I figured I would simply keep it locked. I did have pics available to show what the room looked like (before I put all my stuff in it). For a simple solution, I like the cardboard box idea.

I've been to a lot of open houses and I've sent plenty of gun safes out in the open - no one seems to really care. I wouldn't worry about it.
Yeah I don’t know why, but guys check out the basement and women turn on all the faucets.

I've been to a lot of open houses and I've seen plenty of gun safes out in the open - no one seems to really care. I wouldn't worry about it.

Nobody cares except thieves casing a house out under the guise of home shopping only to come back at a later date. [smile]

The odds are in your favor that won't happen, but you can never be too safe.

Get it, safe ?

What I would do is get Boris to come over and move the safe into the attic or just take it out of the house entirely. Throw it into the bed of a pickup and put it back after the open house is over.

This is the way.

Last edited:
I guess, I think I'd be more likely to check the shower.

I guess, I think I'd be more likely to check the shower.
Yea either would work, i remeber house hunting and my father in law tagging along, the guy would turn every faucet, shower, sink outside sillcock on to check pressure..., not much input except if the water pressure was ok for us.. how did you like the house? Pressure was good hahaha ok

Back
Top Bottom