Best way to disguise my safe?

You might want to reconsider keeping you ammo and propellants in a fireproof filing cabinet. First, those cabinets really are designed to protect paper, which has an autoignition temperature of 218-246°C, where as smokeless powder’s autoignition temperature is considerably lower at 160°C – 180°C. Second, one way they help keep the paper inside them from burning is to create an airtight seal when the gasket around the drawers heats up and expands. Since smokeless powder (and black power) are self-oxidizing, cutting off their air supply does no good and, since it allows the pressure inside to increase, will actually increase the rate of burning until you have an actual explosion. You generally want to keep ammo and powder in something that is relatively flimsy and that allows for the escape of the combustion gases to avoid accelerating the combustion to the explosive level it obtains in a cartridge.

I use metal garage cabinets that have high shelf weight ratings (150 lbs. per shelf) but have pretty flimsy doors and have a hole in the back at each shelf to allow you to run electrical cords into the cabinet to recharge batteries and such but make great pressure relief valves for ammo.

Edited to correct autoignition temperature of paper.

Last edited:
do nothing. Depending on any comments you get regarding it, you'll know who to sell to, and who can go live under a bridge overpass.

Who cares? It’s your house. If they don’t like it, they don’t have to buy it. I was scoping out listings last night. 3 places had safes right smack dab in the picture.

Hopefully you have dogs, cameras, motion lights, a fence, no plants near the house, and a security system. Maybe leave a couple of high-scoring bullseye targets around, some boxing gloves. Pictures of you in a karate gi holding a trophee. That way WHEN your open house gets cased the robbers decide to f*** with someone else.
Even if you dont have a dog, get some LARGE dog bowls, fill one with water, and make the other dirty somehow.
I don't know... do you really think you need an open house in this market?
I never did open houses unless I was looking to hook some buyers for future business (I'm a realtor)..
I have though, taken buyers to showings and have seen safes all the time....most of the buyers I've worked with have been recommendations from people I knew or have worked with, so I could probably say none of them were criminal scubags...
I did see one huge blunder by a seller once.... (he was a cop too)
He had a gigantic safe in his master closet, couldn't miss it, made you wonder what that cold be filled up with.
In the basement, on some shelves he had about 15 plasitic pistol cases from various manufacturers. I remember alot of sig cases, and a bunch of various rifle cases and boxes from various manufacturers. Guy didn't hide or throw out any of those. Talk about broadcasting what you got in your bedroom safe. The market was tight then too, I think that house listed and got an offer in a few days, so I don't think the guy had any random people going thru.
I believe that in this market the plan usually is to have an open house on the weekend, then there are 67 offers that you give a deadline of Tuesday to be in, and you either sell to the highest bidder that is WAY over asking price, or get a bidding war going.

So my gun safe, along with 2 filing cabinets (1 for miscellaneous gun stuff and files, 1 locked fireproof one for ammo and reloading stuff) are in a corner of my basement. Yes, the safe and cabinets are on PT 2x4's and bolted to concrete pad.

The wife and I are considering moving and will be selling this house. Meaning, there may be an open house.

I am thinking the empty cardboard boxes "hollowed" out to form around the lot and taped together as the best means to hide the safe and maybe the file cabinets.

Anyone ever do anything like that or hide their safe in a better manner. Figured I would ask the brain trust. Thanks.
Just pile a bunch of random stuff in front of it.
Totes, boxes pile of couch cushions and blankets. Just make it look like a pile of random shit from around the house.

Hopefully you have dogs, cameras, motion lights, a fence, no plants near the house, and a security system. Maybe leave a couple of high-scoring bullseye targets around, some boxing gloves. Pictures of you in a karate gi holding a trophee. That way WHEN your open house gets cased the robbers decide to f*** with someone else.
When my wife first got her license and an SR22 I would hang her really good targets on the walls going down the stairs to my basement to keep her motivated. I didnt think much of it and we had plumbers come in to switch over to gas. My wife was home when they came and when they walked downstairs they commented to her “wow your husbands a really good shot. He must have hung these up as a warning”. She replied “those are mine” and they were even more impressed.

Even if you dont have a dog, get some LARGE dog bowls, fill one with water, and make the other dirty somehow.

I believe that in this market the plan usually is to have an open house on the weekend, then there are 67 offers that you give a deadline of Tuesday to be in, and you either sell to the highest bidder that is WAY over asking price, or get a bidding war going.
Yeah, alot do it that way, I'd rather schedule them over the day and let people be to themselves and their agent. You can put it out there that you'll let it ride over the weekend and consider offers the following week.
I just hate the logjam that usually happens. It is easier for some sellers that way though, you can block off 3-4 hours rather than having people filter though over the day.

Ask your realtor, but IMO any attempt to hide your safes in their current location is going to look odd. It may get a potential buyer thinking “what else are they hiding?”

As part of “dressing” the house the realtor may suggest moving “stuff” into storage, and that may include the gun “safe.”

Last edited:
Don't conceal it - Just put these on the front of it:

View attachment 462354View attachment 462355
That’s perfect.
st,small,507x507-pad,600x600,f8f8f8.u2.jpg

Back
Top Bottom