Best way to disguise my safe?

Big safes aren't really made to be hidden. If you have a big ass safe it better be a good one, fill the bottom with ammo and bolt it to the floor properly. Think of a big safe as a big castle. Really obvious what's inside and really obviously difficult to break in to without making a ton of noise and taking a lot of time.

Hopefully you have dogs, cameras, motion lights, a fence, no plants near the house, and a security system. Maybe leave a couple of high-scoring bullseye targets around, some boxing gloves. Pictures of you in a karate gi holding a trophee. That way WHEN your open house gets cased the robbers decide to f*** with someone else.

Put a sign on it that says women's cleaning supplies.

When I sold my house back in 2006 I just left it uncovered in the basement. Of course we packed up all the useless crap and boxed it in the basement where the safe was. My guess is that nobody went down there once they saw the pile of crap at the bottom of the stairs.

At the time I didn't care. But I have a safe with guns in it. Not a gun safe.

So what does that mean?

It is painted or coated with a blah gray color and there is nothing on it indicating that it is a gun safe.

You can assume. But that's about it.

I bought it from a safe company in Boston.

When I sold mine didnt bother with any thing it was in a closet. Told my agent that she had to be there with people at the house no lock box and let everyone through by them self. Also when looking with this virus. Some adjents would follow you and not allow you to touch anything but others would let 30 people in at a time

Big safes aren't really made to be hidden. If you have a big ass safe it better be a good one, fill the bottom with ammo and bolt it to the floor properly. Think of a big safe as a big castle. Really obvious what's inside and really obviously difficult to break in to without making a ton of noise and taking a lot of time.
By difficult to break in, you mean more than 1.5 minutes?

Because it takes about 2 minutes with most gun safes.

View: https://youtu.be/v8upczb08WQ

This is a marketing video, but its the shortest one I could find. It is full of videos of how easy it is to cut the most common safes in the market. For some stupid reason most are 20min long because they spend way too much time talking.

My brother had his in a basement. He got wrapping paper with a brick pattern and wrapped it during the open house. It was still on during the home inspection. The guy doing the inspection almost pissed himself, he couldn't figure out why a chimney would be in that spot.
The buyer hired one smart guy to inspect the house ... or your brother is a camouflage master.

So my gun safe, along with 2 filing cabinets (1 for miscellaneous gun stuff and files, 1 locked fireproof one for ammo and reloading stuff) are in a corner of my basement. Yes, the safe and cabinets are on PT 2x4's and bolted to concrete pad.

The wife and I are considering moving and will be selling this house. Meaning, there may be an open house.

I am thinking the empty cardboard boxes "hollowed" out to form around the lot and taped together as the best means to hide the safe and maybe the file cabinets.

Anyone ever do anything like that or hide their safe in a better manner. Figured I would ask the brain trust. Thanks.

Put a bunch of gun company stickers on it

Left mine out in plain sight. Had a bunch of stickers on it. Right next to the reloading bench with 2 presses on it.
Zero issues selling the house.
R.E. agents don't let people freely roam throughout the house. Even the open houses are 1 couple at a time.

Left mine out in plain sight. Had a bunch of stickers on it. Right next to the reloading bench with 2 presses on it.
Zero issues selling the house.
R.E. agents don't let people freely roam throughout the house. Even the open houses are 1 couple at a time.
My experience with buying this current house (and the other houses I looked at) was exactly the opposite, but that was 10 years ago. We roamed all over, no one with us, except maybe others also doing the open house.

I don't know... do you really think you need an open house in this market?
I never did open houses unless I was looking to hook some buyers for future business (I'm a realtor)..
I have though, taken buyers to showings and have seen safes all the time....most of the buyers I've worked with have been recommendations from people I knew or have worked with, so I could probably say none of them were criminal scubags...
I did see one huge blunder by a seller once.... (he was a cop too)
He had a gigantic safe in his master closet, couldn't miss it, made you wonder what that cold be filled up with.
In the basement, on some shelves he had about 15 plasitic pistol cases from various manufacturers. I remember alot of sig cases, and a bunch of various rifle cases and boxes from various manufacturers. Guy didn't hide or throw out any of those. Talk about broadcasting what you got in your bedroom safe. The market was tight then too, I think that house listed and got an offer in a few days, so I don't think the guy had any random people going thru.

My experience with buying this current house (and the other houses I looked at) was exactly the opposite, but that was 10 years ago. We roamed all over, no one with us, except maybe others also doing the open house.

Maybe during COVID. Every house I was in a few years ago, there were 3-5 other groups checking it out simultaneously. The real estate agents would just hang out in the kitchen or other common room for questions.

It was covid rules. Listed in November. Sold in Jan.

If you're selling, you can put in all kinds of stipulations-
"Potential buyers not to be left unsupervised"
"Potential buyers r.e. agent must be present at all times"
"No shoes on inside the house during showing"

You can do whatever you want.

Hopefully you have dogs, cameras, motion lights, a fence, no plants near the house, and a security system. Maybe leave a couple of high-scoring bullseye targets around, some boxing gloves. Pictures of you in a karate gi holding a trophee. That way WHEN your open house gets cased the robbers decide to f*** with someone else.
Check on all those. But not a karate gi, instead all power lifting, football, hockey, wrestling, and boxing. Never got around to combining all those, lol, got a little too old for mma. Oh and pictures of me in my youth wearing my dress white chockers.

I have some thoughts on this. The size of the safe would have some impact on the strategy. Cleanest solution(not the easiest) would be to move the safe prior to listing the house. Be advised that the agent will have zero control in regards to who enters the open house(there's no screening process). With private showings there is some vetting ie) you can require buyers forward a pre-approval to your agent before scheduling a showing. Keep in mind anything you do to limit showings and/or open houses will have an impact on the marketing. Generally speaking the more people you get into your house the better you'll do. That being said, open houses are a waste of time in some markets and gold in others.

Check on all those. But not a karate gi, instead all power lifting, football, hockey, wrestling, and boxing. Never got around to combining all those, lol, got a little too old for mma. Oh and pictures of me in my youth wearing my dress white chockers.

Wrestling + power lifting is like cheeseburgers + bacon. Awesome. If someone taught you krav maga that would be like giving a grizzly bear a minigun.

and of course after all that bullshit of hiding it, the kids in the household telegraph the safe location to all their little school friends and hold tours to view it when the parents aren't home. what? your's don't you say...think again. and remember, the only people who think little junior is a saint is you, the parent.

If I was at an open house I would be more curious about what all the cardboard was hiding ...
commercialbreak3.png

Dolph is your favorite too, eh?

Drape some moving blankets over it and put some paint cans or something on top.

I’ve moved a dozen times with corporate relocation services. Never had an open house but have had several dozen showings. Never bothered to hide safes or loading bench. Never had a problem.

Back
Top Bottom