Best State to move to....

Hi All,

If you don't have to consider finding a job, what do you all think would be the best state to move to?

Things to consider:
  • State Income Taxes
  • State Property Taxes
  • State Government
  • RKBA
  • others?

Thanks.

David

There are other things to consider, including weather, culture, cost of living, and topography.

Texas is certainly good from an RKBA standpoint, it has no state income tax, cost of living is modest, but I don't want to live there -- the weather, culture, and topography are not for me. I expect Texans will come out of the woodwork to defend their state -- that's fine, I'm sure you love it -- but I've spent a year there (mostly in Dallas but several weeks in Houston) and it just isn't for me. Perhaps I'd like Austin, but the summer weather is not for me.

Alaska is excellent from an RKBA standpoint, it has no state income tax, and the topography is spectacular. But I couldn't take the winters in most of the state and the cost of living is very, very high.

State taxes are only part of the cost of living.

Last edited:
Climate is a big one for me. I will never live in NH because if that. I absolutely cannot stand snow.

Texas. Bar none.

Culturally and politically I have more in common with the people of Texas and the southern plains (Oklahoma and Kansas) than I do with those from any place else.

Weather is a non-issue for me. Adapt and overcome. I don't have a narrow temperature/humidity band outside of which I melt.

I was living in South Florida when I had to make that choice. I work from home and travel a lot so I had my pick of anyplace with an airport. I choce NH, but then again I like winter for skiing and snowmobiling...

I guess it never snows in Chicopee, the tropical capitol of New England [wink]

Point taken, however I did spend the past five years in South Carolina, North Carolina, Oklahoma, Hawaii, Okinawa, Thailand, and Iraq. I've only lived in MA for 2 [non-consecutive] years out of the 8 that I've been a resident. And I'm originally from New Orleans. In conclusion, cold sucks [wink].

If I had my choice I'd live in Montana, or possibly Alaska. Montana is fantastically beautiful, I've been there, I love it there. Big wide open spaces- CT drives me nuts because of all the trees and bushes and overgrown, untended vines and crap people have in their yards hemming me in all the time, suffocating me practically. Only winter makes me feel a little better because at least the trees are bare and it feels slightly more open but then everything is dry and drab and ugly, except for when the snow covers everything it's very pretty. Plus the people in Montana are friendly, open, down-to-earth and we all know about the gun-friendliness. Not much for jobs there though, that's why we're not there. Weather is pretty severe, I wouldn't mind it (CT winters are a cakewalk to me) but some might.

Cost of living in Texas is cheap. I joke and say the only reason I'm not in NH right now is because it's too damn cold. Being brought up in a place 5 minutes from the water has influenced moving anywhere away from the ocean and I want to be somewhere warm. I figure the Carolinas/Virginia are good RKBA states. I'm not sure about the Corpus Christi area in Texas. I know its near the water, always warm, but hurricanes are a bitch. If Cali was overrun by Texans I'd be there yesterday. Once Cali drops off into the Pacific I may hop right into Arizona, the NEW warm, RKBA friendly, and kick ass place to live!

It is a very individual decision. Here is a "calculator" created by Kiplinger that may help to narrow down your search:

http://web02.bestplaces.net/kip/best/quiz.aspx

That's pretty cool. I just filled it out and 10 of the 30 places listed are in Texas. I'll have to give that some consideration. I do have a lot of family in the Huston area due to being displaced by Katrina.

I spent 5 days in AZ last year. I'm not big fan of the Phoenix area, even without the kidnappings (currently running at 1 per day).

Sedona was absolutely gorgeous, but housing costs were high. The restaurant scene was very disappointing.

The Grand Canyon was spectacular, but the town of Williams, where we stayed, was singularly depressing.

The area around Flagstaff looked interesting, but we didn't have time to see much.

TX or NM for me. Texas I would want to be on the Oklahoma Border or there abouts. Maybe parts of Oklahoma too.[grin]
I'm sick of snow and cold weather and would rather be in a warmer climate. Winters where it is fairly mild and few really cold days are fine with me.[grin]

Don't overlook Wyoming if you want open spaces. If I didn't need a job it would be at the top of my list. The least populace state yet one of the largest by land area.

What abut the mid-south, Kentucky, Tennessee etc... I'm not sure how firearm friendly they are but it can't be all bad being in the south.

What abut the mid-south, Kentucky, Tennessee etc... I'm not sure how firearm friendly they are but it can't be all bad being in the south.

Gun friendly, IIRC. Moderate to low cost of living. Hot and humid in the summer. You like the culture or you don't. Scenery is very pretty. Not for me. YMMV.

Hi All,

Did a quick real estate search and found a nice house in MO. I've decided I want a bit of room, 5+ acres, maybe up to 20+.

Also, I'd like to have mountains and or ocean. But I guess mountains & lakes go together. At least some hills & woods. Not sure I could take flat wide open spaces to the horizon.

Saw some Utah on TV. Seemed nice.

Keep up the suggestions!!

Quiz results:
1) Kennewick-Richland-Pasco, WA
2) Sioux Falls, SD
3) Midland, TX
4) Greeley, CO
5) Rochester, MN

Last edited:
Hi All,

Did a quick real estate search and found a nice house in MO. I've decided I want a bit of room, 5+ acres, maybe up to 20+.

Also, I'd like to have mountains and or ocean. But I guess mountains & lakes go together. At least some hills & woods. Not sure I could take flat wide open spaces to the horizon.

Saw some Utah on TV. Seemed nice.

Keep up the suggestions!!

Quiz results:
1) Kennewick-Richland-Pasco, WA
2) Sioux Falls, SD
3) Midland, TX
4) Greeley, CO
5) Rochester, MN

Utah still very much gets winter. Lived there as a kid. Washington Depending on which side of the mountain your you have winter, or lots of rain. Grew up there.
I'm for the warmer climates, plus Washington is becoming like Cali. Toomany Cali residents moved up there.

Next best place after Texas, as far as I am concerned. Extremely firearm friendly, particularly Kentucky.

Culture suits me fine too.

Some day I'll end up in Texas. Dry heat, guns, and cowboys...
It isn't a dry heat in Texas. No way. Even Dallas is very, very humid. Houston is unbelievably humid -- you walk out of a building, put your sunglasses on, and they are fogged up, at 9 AM in the morning.

Back
Top Bottom