Best small(ish) carbine?

kurtb

NES Member
What you you think is the best carbine? MSAR, Kel-Tec Sub2000, P90, etc, etc....?

I'm looking to expand beyond what I have and am on the fence about what to get...opinions???

thanks

kurtb

If you are stuck in MA, I'd say not the P90, only because of the 10rnd mag limit (unless you are LEO or don't mind breaking the law, lol), the P90 would actually be my choice of the three otherwise...but I think the other two take regular 16 mags, so I'd go with one of those two because of the MA mag issue...

why small? looking for something easily handled by a woman? Include the beretta CX4 storm in your lineup.

M1 Carbine. I say this as someone who loves both the HK94 and the M4gery.

Full disclosure - I have six USGI carbines (and two stripped receivers)

What do you want to use it for?

Big +1 on the USGI M1 Carbine, I love my IBM. I think the 5.7x28 is silly, so that rules out the PS90 for me. I'm intrigued by the Sub-2000. I wonder if any of the models would work with my GP35 mags.

What do you want to use it for?

Big +1 on the USGI M1 Carbine, I love my IBM. I think the 5.7x28 is silly, so that rules out the PS90 for me. I'm intrigued by the Sub-2000. I wonder if any of the models would work with my GP35 mags.

The PS90 is a fun gun IF you can own 50 round postban mags (aka not in MA). The ammo isn't even insanely priced anymore compared to other calibers.

My money is on an M1 Carbine for all around handiness, (though it's hard to argue with an M4). Still, if you're looking for a handy carbine that takes a pistol caliber bullet, has insane accuracy, reliability, serviceability, cheap preban 25 and 32rd magazines, relatively affordable, robust and just plain badass there is only on clear choice my friend:

Uzi - 9mm

Another vote for the USGI M1 Carbine....

But if you are looking for more a pistol caliber carbine. I am a fan of the Marlin Camp 9. They use readily available S&W 59 series magazines. Shoot 9mm, accuracy is OK to about 100yds. Look around and you will find them in the $350+ range

What caliber are you looking for? Depending on your desired use you may want to consider a Mech Tech Carbine Conversion Unit (CCU) that attaches to your Glock or 1911 frame. I just picked up a 9mm version and it's pretty cool. I got mine just to play around shooting steel at 25 yds and I like it.
http://www.mechtechsys.com/

-Cuz.

I like my auto-ordinace M1...and if you don't think it to be a cardinal sin, you could put a folding polymer stock on it with an optics rail to be tacticool...

or maybe a keltec in 9mm to save the $$ on ammo

If you are looking for a compact rifle, you would be hard pressed to find a more compact rifle than the FS2000. In fact, without the tax stamps I think it would be impossible. Big Drawback is the iron sights being all but an afterthought which means you are guaranteeing 500 worth of optics in the equation...which does not make for a bargain.

If what you are looking for is a traditional carbine (i.e. a non-rifle round) there is no doubt in my mind there is nothing better than the HK94, but this is laughably unaffordable these days and with the price of pistol calibers not providing much relief I don't know if any carbine represents a good savings from an operational perspective.

So I will have to go with Uzi.

My money is on an M1 Carbine for all around handiness, (though it's hard to argue with an M4). Still, if you're looking for a handy carbine that takes a pistol caliber bullet, has insane accuracy, reliability, serviceability, cheap preban 25 and 32rd magazines, relatively affordable, robust and just plain badass there is only on clear choice my friend:

Uzi - 9mm

What he said ............

http://northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=68414

If you're not limited by funds, I will endorse the UZI route as well. They are unbelieveably accurate, no real recoil, tons of cheap preban mags out there, can swap calibers 9 & 45 (ok, I understand that the 45 mags aren't cheap [wink]). What can I say, the Israelis build one hell of a good gun.

If you're looking for something with more punch, I like the FN FS2000. One of the reasons I like that over the MSAR is the fact that the FS2000 uses AR mags.

Back
Top Bottom