Best small(ish) carbine?

I would also vote for an M1 carbine. It is still hard to beat after all of these years. I have an older Plainfield commerical model which I really like (although for a lot of reasons a GI cabine would probably be better). I am also very fond of my Cx4 Beretta, and really like the looks and ergonomics. Another choice might be a Marlin 1894 lever gun in a pistol caliber. These are nifty little guns, very slck and easy handling.

The Uzi 9mm is also a good choice for the reasons cited.

Mark056

Only speaking from personal experience of the guns I own.

The old: M1 for it's unwavering 71 years of awesomeness. It's a hard act to beat.
The new: Beretta Cx4 for it's futuristic styling and ergonomics. It's a remarkably fun gun to shoot. And being 9mm...cheap. Sort of.
The good old standby: M4 in whatever flavor you like.

As always YMMV.

If you're not limited by funds, I will endorse the UZI route as well. They are unbelieveably accurate, no real recoil, tons of cheap preban mags out there, can swap calibers 9 & 45 (ok, I understand that the 45 mags aren't cheap [wink]). What can I say, the Israelis build one hell of a good gun.

If you're looking for something with more punch, I like the FN FS2000. One of the reasons I like that over the MSAR is the fact that the FS2000 uses AR mags.

If you want a cheaper route for .45ACP, there is a grease gun conversion - mags are super cheap.

M1 Carbines are still available at good prices through the CMP.
Very nice shooting gun, 30 round mags are available.

+100

The M1 carbine is the most ergonomic, reliable, smooth shooting carbine I have ever seen. The sights are remarkably good, there is no recoil to speak of.

if it helps...
I have an Fs2000, ps90 and msar (as well asn an uzi and an mp5).
I have had m1carbs in the past.

Of all of them, for the carbine size.. The m1 is a great gun a lot of fun, and has a class and history that none of the others (except, arguably the uzi) can match.

But, assuming a non rifle round and semi only (non nfa). I would take the semi uzi and 94 out of the equation. To me the semi uzi and 94 just look silly with the long barrels. the 94 is silly expensive and mags are obscene. The semi uzi w/ 16" just does not balance right to me.

Although most have discounted it, The PS90, is a blast to shoot. Fun, light, accurate and unique. Ammo is still inexpensive (and I believe a lot cheaper than 30 carbine at this point too). Give it a serious look.

But, it is really had to go wrong with an m1c..

I am surprised no one mentioned a pistol caliber AR. I just built a 9mm with a RRA upper I found online for under 500 bucks. Some thing worth maybe looking at.

Another fan of the M1 Carbine.

I'm also a fan of the Mini-14, though some aren't, for various and sundry reasons. I prefer the pre-ban models with factory folders. They aren't cheap and they aren't easy to find, but their light, handy, and reliable, and look great.

I'm convinced, just filled out my CMP form and am mailing it in a few minutes. I am ordering a IBM service grade M-1 carbine. The Garand will be ordered in a few months one I pay off this purchase.

kurtb, we're 5 pages into this and you've got lots of opinions but everyone's guessing because no one knows what you want it for. Hunting, plinking, self defense?

I was about to make the same observation.

The M1 Carbine is a great plinker and a good self-defense shoulder arm. You are limited to 110 gr. FMJs at 1900 fps, so it isn't any good for hunting anything bigger than pests. Effective range is about 100 yards.

The Mini-14 shooting a 55-gr slug is also a great plinker and pest weapon. They tend to be not the most accurate rifles in the world.

An M4, properly done, does all that the first two do and can be made into a DM weapon, with an effective range to a man-sized target out to about 200 yards or so.

If you're looking for a hunting rifle for deer or larger game, you want something like a Win M94 or Marlin M1895, in .30-30 or .45-70.

Marlin used to make the "Camp Carbine", nice little 9MM & .45 Auto Carbines. The 9MM takes S&W 59xx mags and the .45 uses 1911 mags, handy. the mag well is plastic which is a bit of a draw back.

They've got wood furniture so they aren't tacticool, they look almost like a 10/22.
camp45-and-10-22-small-300x146.jpg

Prices have been crazy high lately, I've been watching gunbroker for a .45 Camp Carbine, seems up until just recently they've been going for $750.00. That is M1 Carbine prices...[hmmm].

Kills me that I passed on one with a cracked stock for $250.00 3-4 years ago in Florida. [crying]

Now if bolt action is your thing, take a look at the SIA Enfield .45 Conversion kit., they make one for 7.62x39 also.
Enf45.jpg

Last edited:
So I guess tens of thousands of Germans, Japanese, Koreans and Vietnamese we just pests. [rolleyes]

Actually the record of the M1 Carbine is spotty. Originally conceived by the War Department as a pistol substitue or replacement, it's intent was CQB as a PDW and in that it excelled. Although never replacing the Garand, it did see more general purpose usage than its original intent and that's where it was less optimal as a main battle rifle.

From what I have been able to discern, there were few complaints during WWII, but plenty of complaints about its stopping power in Korea. One explanation is that the Chinese winter uniforms were heavily padded and impeded lethal penetration. The M1 and M2 (selective fire) carbines also saw more general usage in that conflict, again because of its handling abilities. In the hands of front line troops, it was tasked with duties that the Garand was much better suited for.

As as short range defensive weapon, I have absolutely no qualms regarding its abilities. Add hollowpoints that feed reliably, and I believe that you have a very nice and capable (if you do your part) weapon.

Mark056

Last edited:
From what I have been able to discern, there were few complaints during WWII, but plenty of complaints about its stopping power in Korea. One explanation is that the Chinese winter uniforms were heavily padded and impeded lethal penetration. .
Or that the very poorly trained garrison army that was deployed from Japan early in the war weren't hitting what they were shooting at. I have a hard time believing that cotton padded coats significantly impeded penetration of FMJ.

Or that the very poorly trained garrison army that was deployed from Japan early in the war weren't hitting what they were shooting at. I have a hard time believing that cotton padded coats significantly impeded penetration of FMJ.

That explanation has been pro-offered by different people including Ayoob. I do not necessarily subscribe to that theory but merely put it out on the table nor do I totally subscribe to yours simply because while that is a true statement for the first 8-12 months of the war, it certainly did not apply in the ensuing two remaining years. However please see the quote below which supports your idea albeit not in the same context but expands it in a larger way.

Here is what Jack Lewis had to say (for those of you who don't know Jack Lewis, he was the editor of Gun World Magazine, a B movie script writer, and a Marine officer in WWII who stayed in the Reserves thru Viet Nam and was what we used to say back in the day in a positive way {being a gun crank was a good thing} a "gun cranks gun crank"): "The problem is the men, not the weapons. Until you get men who can outperform the Carbine, you would be well advised to stick with it, as it is the easiest weapon for them to master. Don't let some egghead lab technician who has never seen combat issue them a Rube Goldberg design that challenges the experts. Spend your money training ment to shoot instead on high-tech cure-alls." The Gun Digest Book of Assault Rifles, DBI Books Northbrook Il., 1973, p.45

Mark056

Last edited:
I will also point out the Hi-Point carbine. While it is only the best gun to beat on and not care about and still function after sitting in the tool-box of your truck for 3 years, it's still an option. If you can get over the fact that it feels like a toy and looks to be designed by a blind 3rd grader, they actually shoot pretty good and are guaranteed for life. In no way does it compare in quality to anything else listed, but you haven't stated what your planned uses and expectations are.
Kenny

I will also point out the Hi-Point carbine. While it is only the best gun to beat on and not care about and still function after sitting in the tool-box of your truck for 3 years, it's still an option. If you can get over the fact that it feels like a toy and looks to be designed by a blind 3rd grader, they actually shoot pretty good and are guaranteed for life. In no way does it compare in quality to anything else listed, but you haven't stated what your planned uses and expectations are.
Kenny

I was just about to post the same...I am sure the flames will start but I love mine and it is great to about 100 yards. Fun for plinking and the Hi-Point warrant is unbeatable. Run it over with a tractor trailer and send it back in 10 pieces and they fix it like new no questions asked. Cheap money as well if fun is what you are looking for. They have 9mm, 40 and 45 versions. I paid $185 for my 9mm version.

I was just about to post the same...I am sure the flames will start but I love mine and it is great to about 100 yards. Fun for plinking and the Hi-Point warrant is unbeatable. Run it over with a tractor trailer and send it back in 10 pieces and they fix it like new no questions asked. Cheap money as well if fun is what you are looking for. They have 9mm, 40 and 45 versions. I paid $185 for my 9mm version.

In defense of the Hight Point, I can say that at least some small police departments have purchased them as patrol carbines and appaently they have been quite satisfactory.

Where are they available in Mass?

Mark056

Back
Top Bottom