Best MA Compliant Glock 19 Competitors

Hello Everyone,
I just got my LTC in MA and need to buy a pistol. I have the most experience with the military’s Beretta M9, but love the Glock 19. I have shot the S&W bodyguard .380 and Shield and definitely want something bigger. I know I can’t get a Glock 19 in this state without getting a preban (I don’t like the gen 2), so I’m looking for something a similar size. I would mostly be shooting at the range, but would like the option to conceal carry. I would also like to stick to a 9mm. Any guidance on this would be much appreciated.

There is absolutely nothing that competes with a Glock 19, at least not directly. It is literally in a class by itself. (particularly WRT size vs weight vs capacity ratio) While there is a bunch of cool new shit around like that CZ P10 and so on, none of those guns still really compete with a 19. If you don't like Gen2s get busy and start calling around, not that hard to get a 3/4 with enough legwork. Don't let anyone tell you it can't be done at a reasonable price.

-Mike

There is absolutely nothing that competes with a Glock 19, at least not directly. It is literally in a class by itself. (particularly WRT size vs weight vs capacity ratio) While there is a bunch of cool new shit around like that CZ P10 and so on, none of those guns still really compete with a 19. If you don't like Gen2s get busy and start calling around, not that hard to get a 3/4 with enough legwork. Don't let anyone tell you it can't be done at a reasonable price.

-Mike

Hey Mike,
First off thank you for the response. I agree about the Glock 19 being in its own class. The problem I’m running into with this is my best friend’s a police officer, so he doesn’t know because he would just buy a Glock 19 and my other friends I shoot with are trying to push me toward a Sig P320C just because they’ve never shot one :D so there is a way to legally get a Glock made after a Gen 2 in this state?

Hey Mike,
First off thank you for the response. I agree about the Glock 19 being in its own class. The problem I’m running into with this is my best friend’s a police officer, so he doesn’t know because he would just buy a Glock 19 and my other friends I shoot with are trying to push me toward a Sig P320C just because they’ve never shot one :D so there is a way to legally get a Glock made after a Gen 2 in this state?
You can LEGALLY buy any handgun someone will sell you that is not full auto or an assault weapon. Stop worrying about lists. They do NOT apply to you, only to dealers.

Decide what you want and go find it. Everything is out there

Hey Mike,

Yes, if someone is selling it, you can buy it, assuming you have an LTC-A. The compliance regs only apply to dealers in the act of sales, not you, not with regards to purchase or possession.

The only thing you could remotely be concerned about is if the gun comes with mags > 10 rounds, if they're post ban those are a problem... but outwardly that isn't usually an issue.

FWIW the P320 is pretty cool too but mine is still bigger than a G19, and the slide is heavier. I'm also in the middle of resolving the recall BS, too...

-Mike

Look at new Ruger security-9.
It was designed as glock 19 killer.
Same dimensions, just thinner!
Same trigger as Lc9s, which is much better than glock.
Only downside - no prebans.
Price around $300 on GB does not hurt either.

Last edited:

I am interested to try a Security 9, and it seems to have some good features at a good price point. However, no gun with a right hand only manual safety is going to make it very high up my recommended list. For me, a gun with a manual safety cannot really compete with a Glock or an H&K VP9.

Two of my top requirements are ambidextrous controls and a simple manual of arms. A safety on only one side does not meet either one.

Hello Everyone,
I just got my LTC in MA and need to buy a pistol. I have the most experience with the military’s Beretta M9, but love the Glock 19. I have shot the S&W bodyguard .380 and Shield and definitely want something bigger. I know I can’t get a Glock 19 in this state without getting a preban (I don’t like the gen 2), so I’m looking for something a similar size. I would mostly be shooting at the range, but would like the option to conceal carry. I would also like to stick to a 9mm. Any guidance on this would be much appreciated.

I sold my brand new gen 4 Glock 19 in the classifieds for I think $650 a few months ago. If that price is good for you, just wait, they show up around that price once a month or two. $700 is probably an easier price to get of course.

If you love the Glock 19, and want to carry 15 rounds instead of 10, don't bother looking elsewhere.

Springfield Armory XD9 Mod 2 is fairly close in size and functionality to the Glock 19. I actually like it better.

Same trigger as Lc9s, which is much better than glock.
Only downside - no prebans.

No, the only downside is that it fails on OAL and Weight (its several ounces heavier) vs a Glock 19. I award them an F minus on "trying to kill a Glock 19" There's no other 9mm on the market that natively holds 15 rounds of ammo that directly competes with a G19.

To date the only pistol I've ever seen that came close to legitimately dethroning the G19 was the Caracal C. I don't think anyones even
come close to that, either. It's a shame it was recalled and never reintroduced...

Not saying that this particular gun isn't worth buying either. But if the idea here is to "replace a Glock 19" it doesn't really do that.

-Mike

I tend to agree that the G19 is one of the best, if not THE best general purpose 9mm handgun ever made. I'm mostly a 1911 guy. I've been carrying, shooting, competing with the 1911 for years but occasionally the G19 finds it way back to my hip. I have a preban mag with a plus two extension plus one in the chamber is 18 rounds. If I can't get done what I need to get done with 18 rounds of 9mm (plus a mag if I'm carrying a spare) then I should have brought a rifle and I'm f***ed anyhow. ;)

In a free state I'd buy a P10c or M&P2.0C over a G19, but here it's really the only option in that size with standard cap mags unless you count 3rd gen S&W guns.

I have a G19 Gen3, a HK VP9 and Had a (actually two) M&P 9's (so my thoughts can be compared with the compacts of these versions)

Get or find a G19.

The HK is nice. Great trigger and a tack driver. But in my opinion its just not a great workhorse. Not as simple to work on and not a lot of aftermarket parts. a bit complex inside and while I have no issues at all, some hate the mag release.

The M&P's that are MA compliant have a horrendous trigger pull. I owned 2. One with and one without a trigger job. Hated them both. And add $100 to fix the trigger.

G19, not easy to find. But doable. Preban Mags are not hard to find (pricey, but not a unicorn) Easy to strip every part out of it and reassemble. Lots of aftermarket and dirt cheap OEM parts. Pull trigger it goes bang. I have a bunch of Glocks, and while they are just simple boring pistols. They work. I have a G17 Gen4 that is at or near 10K rounds (and bought another for a backup), I use it as my IDPA, Steel shoots, USPSA (Just got a CZ shadow 2 for USPSA) and three gun gun. Along with it being my class training gun. I do have MUCH cooler guns that I LOVE (See shadow 2 above, lol). And in general I'm NOT a Glock guy. But you cant beat them for being simple, reliable and accurate enough for general use.

I have used a G19 in some IDPA's, only reason I shoot a G17 is that with the short grip, my palm gets pinched (and bleeds) between the grip and mag plate when I do a fast mag change. Oh, and I like the Gen 4 over the Gen 3 ONLY for the replaceable back strap so I can have the beaver tail and reduce slide bite. My G19 is a Gen3

The general consensus across all the gun forums is if you only get one gun, get a G19.

And lastly I usually carry a G43 or G26. But I I like small guns, otherwise and I should carry my G19.

My .02

I have a number of different pistols from HK, STI, Sig, and have one Glock 19. I ended up building one from a frame I purchased from an FFL here in MA, and then put together the rest myself searching for deals from the various vendors. The process of putting it together could not have been easier (much easier than putting together an AR, or detail cleaning a 1911) and you attain the skills to strip and clean while you go.

Following the process, you will get the G19 at only slightly above MSRP compared to some of the prices you see. If you want preban mags I believe you should look for a G1 - G3 frame, not sure if the G4 and G5 will work but I am not certain and hope someone can correct or confirm this.

No, the only downside is that it fails on OAL and Weight (its several ounces heavier) vs a Glock 19.

Really?

OAL: Glock 19 - 7.28 in, Security-9 - 7.24in.
Weight: Glock 19 - 23.65oz, Security-9 - 23.7 oz
Width: Glock 19 - 1.18in, Security-9 - 1.02in.

Really?

OAL: Glock 19 - 7.28 in, Security-9 - 7.24in.
Weight: Glock 19 - 23.65oz, Security-9 - 23.7 oz
Width: Glock 19 - 1.18in, Security-9 - 1.02in.

Well, then if this is true I'll have to eat crow, lmao. I made some assumptions based on some misreported statistics about the OAL of the 19. I still don't believe it, though. Most manufacturers have completely screwed the pooch when trying to compete with the 19. Most of the guns are schoolbuses, overweight, or excessively long.

Actually in this case they still did- gun still has a %$^%^#$^manual safety on it. Maybe they will make a "Security 9 Pro" version, hopefully.

ETA: I also noticed they have a "Secure action hammer" which probably explains that big stupid hole in the back of the slide. This could possibly be a shit trigger gun, but I'd have to try it out. Given the price point it seems like its "value oriented" and that usually ends up being swear words... lol. It's almost like they took a Kel Tec P11 or something like that and upscaled it. Or its a Ruger rendition of one of the guns Taurus makes in that class. (Wouldn't surprise me if Taurus actually had a gun that was, on paper, competitive with a G19 but nobody buys it because Taurus and because they make shit 99 out of 100 times, lol. )

-Mike

I have a number of different pistols from HK, STI, Sig, and have one Glock 19. I ended up building one from a frame I purchased from an FFL here in MA, and then put together the rest myself searching for deals from the various vendors. The process of putting it together could not have been easier (much easier than putting together an AR, or detail cleaning a 1911) and you attain the skills to strip and clean while you go.

Following the process, you will get the G19 at only slightly above MSRP compared to some of the prices you see. If you want preban mags I believe you should look for a G1 - G3 frame, not sure if the G4 and G5 will work but I am not certain and hope someone can correct or confirm this.

I’d be interested in doing this. Is it hard to get a Glock frame in MA, or are they compliant and readily available from certain dealers as it’s not a completed firearm?

I agree with the manual safety as a flaw, but to get a double stack 9 in those dimensions is quite a feat.

I’d be interested in doing this. Is it hard to get a Glock frame in MA, or are they compliant and readily available from certain dealers as it’s not a completed firearm?

Yes they are available on websites of some major dealers here in MA. Cost is under a hundred bucks for the frame. I actually shot my g19 today worked great.

You could always, you know, not use the manual safety. Not sure why people get so worked up about that, if it is like the LC9s' safety, just leave it off and it stays off. The trigger safety (or whatever you call it) works like a Glock "safety" so the manual safety is just there to satisfy people who want them or AGs who are tyrants.
I'm a Ruger fanatic, but I'd hold off on the Security 9 to see what "new gun bugs" need to be worked out.

Why don't you guys do the Lone Wolf frames and outfit them how you want? They are not Glock's, so no one can get all bent out of shape over it.

I gotta think it would still be a bit cheaper then the MA street prices of Glock19's worth buying.

Back
Top Bottom