Best 200 yard scope for $4-500?

I need to get a scope that has half a chance of seeing .223 holes in the black at 200 yards. I am tired of having no clue where they are until I yank one into the white. I know that is a tough job for lower priced glass to pull off, but I can't afford a Swarovski. In fact, I am looking something in the $4-500 range. I here 2 names more than others, the Konuspot 20-60x100, and Redfield Rampage 20-60x80mm. Any opinions on these or others would be appreciated. - JR

Last edited:
I have the Knous and I like it a lot. I can't speek to seeing holes since my 200 yard range kinda had bad lighting to see holes. It is something I am working on fixing.

Vortex 6-24x50mm.

-Proud to be dad every day, a licensed plumber most days, and wish I was a shoemaker on others.

the x100 scope is a monster! I have the konus 20x60x80 it can see 22cal holes @ 200 Yards if the light is right. Eye relief is very good also. I didnt find any other scope under 500.00 that I could comfortably use with my glasses on. Also the rotating body of the konus is a huge plus.

LOL davidmcbeth. But for $23,000 I could hire someone to run down to take a picture and run it back to me every Sunday.

I've heard that the 100mm objective on the Konus makes it 50% brighter than the 80mm, but that it is a heavy beast. I have good strong tripods, so that doesn't worry me much. - JR

5+lbs heavy. I see a few celestrons down the range. They run 300-700. What I found is you need to know how clear you can get the image at higher magnification. None of the spotscopes I have focus well @ 200 yards or less on anything over 40x 60x is almost useless unless I'm looking way out across the bogs.

When you state "seeing holes in the black at 200yds", I'm going to assume you are looking for a spotting scope for use in shooting highpower rifle, but maybe I'm wrong.

If so, a magnification of 25X or 27X is just about right for general use 200-600yds. Zoom scopes sound great, but usually don't deliver when they get over 30X.
Seeing holes in the black even at only 200yds has a lot more to do with target lighting than it does the scope. I've looked through $1500 Zeiss scopes that were still iffy at seeing the holes at 200 when the light wasn't right.

Konus, Celestron, are pretty good for the money.

Amazon.com: Celestron 52305 Regal M2 80ED Spotting Scope: Camera & Photo

I have this scope and it is da bomb. And they have a no questions asked warranty. Drop and break it, send it back with $50 or so and they will fix or replace.

A friend busted his and sent it back. It was an older model and they sent him the new and improved version. Great company and products.

And they do go on sale...

I actually found a 16x48x65mm version of that Celestron ED model on eBay. It was an open box leftover in a Florida camera store, paid $349. The MSRP was over $700. It also takes standard 1.25" eyepieces, so the power can be changed with a different eyepiece.

The ED models used a fluoride crystal element, the newer Ultima models do not. I am not an optics expert, but this scope seems to have superior sharpness and especially high contrast, even at 48X. I took it to the range while there for other business, and looked down to the 200 yard line. The holes in the frames, some obviously .22 sized, were very discernible, even when through the black painted numbers on the position markers. Should be up to the task and then some. Thanks for all the feedback.

JR

Back
Top Bottom