beginner questions.

So I'm not totally new to shooting, just new to shooting "good". I hunted when I was a kid, shot marksmen when I was in the Air Force (somehow) and have a Ruger 10 22 that I like to go out and shoot cans with. But I'm looking for more now. The first thing I'm doing is having the trigger press lightened. but from there, I'm not sure what I want. What I want is to shoot some distance. So my first question is, what kind of distance do most shooters shoot at with their 10 22s. I have some good property to shoot on, space isn't a problem, but what can I expect to be reasonable? 100yrds or more? I've got about $600 to spend on setting up the gun and would like to build a great target rifle out of it. So I'm not looking at "what parts should I buy" yet, but more of what is capable with the gun. Mark.

Just a thought instead of sinking $600 into a 10/22 why not buy a Savage heavy barrel in 223. You will have enough money to buy a decent scope, Harris bi pod and some match ammo. Shooting a 22 at 100 yards is really pushing the bullet to its max IMO.

Don't get me wrong a 10/22 is a great rifle but if you want to do some serious target shooting move to a faster more accurate round.

Or shoot at 50 yards and use 22 match ammo in your 10/22.

Either way have fun and be safe. That's what its all about.

The shooting sport.

Also join the CMP ( Civilian Marksmanship Program )or at least sign up via email for the newsletter. They have some great articles and info on matches etc.

Savage Arms rifle link www.savagearms.com

Just a thought instead of sinking $600 into a 10/22 why not buy a Savage heavy barrel in 223. You will have enough money to buy a decent scope, Harris bi pod and some match ammo. Shooting a 22 at 100 yards is really pushing the bullet to its max IMO.

Don't get me wrong a 10/22 is a great rifle but if you want to do some serious target shooting move to a faster more accurate round.

Or shoot at 50 yards and use 22 match ammo in your 10/22.

Either way have fun and be safe. That's what its all about.

The shooting sport.

Also join the CMP ( Civilian Marksmanship Program )or at least sign up via email for the newsletter. They have some great articles and info on matches etc.

Savage Arms rifle link www.savagearms.com

+1 on this. A good bolt rifle from Savage in .308 will let you reach out to some real distance (300yds+).

.22 at 100yds is pushing things. Just not enough velocity. (That said, I like to shoot 6" steel plates at 100yds. for fun)

oilburner, this is the place for you! I cannot answer your question, but you have come to the right place. And you may get more than you asked for.(in a good way) Welcome!

get an AR with an ACOG sight...back in my marine corps days we would set up at around the 600 yard range(on a hill behind the 500yard rifle range) and could keep a decent group on a man sized solhouette target...but it all depends on what you like to shoot... that savage doesn't sound like a bad idea or maybe an M1A from CMP those are fun and can reach out and touch somebody[wink]

Hi, oilburner, and welcome.

I can't offer much advice as to the 10/22 or what else you might want. What I would suggest is "going green" on the forum (join) and get to an NES shoot. You'll see all types of guns, from stock to heavily modified, and can probably try most of them out to see what strikes your fancy. [grin]

Just my $.02

I'd say go to an Appleseed shoot and learn to shoot the 10/22 to the potential it already has. Then decide whether you want to trick it out or buy another rifle.

get an AR with an ACOG sight...back in my marine corps days we would set up at around the 600 yard range(on a hill behind the 500yard rifle range) and could keep a decent group on a man sized solhouette target...but it all depends on what you like to shoot... that savage doesn't sound like a bad idea or maybe an M1A from CMP those are fun and can reach out and touch somebody[wink]

The ACOG would be TWICE as much as his budget, let alone the AR.

Ahhh... nevermind.

The feedback in the above replys is what I'm looking for, thanks everyone. I spent 2 hours at my brother-in-laws house (a NY state trooper with a gun collection) and went over all kinds of options from what I have to what I could buy other than the 10 22, what I could do to it, holy crap, now I'm even more indecisive. I've decided that I don't want to build a wanna-be sniper rifle with something that would only be good for 100 yrds or so, and that I also don't think I would be happy with something that looks mean but is only a 22 (like a 22 version of an AR), so something along the lines of the Savage mentioned above with a scope and bipod may be in order. So my next question would be, where can I find a site with ballistics info? Something to give me rounds with fps, yrds, or just the formula's so I can better research what I want. I have a disease... I'm a sheetmetal shaper, a blacksmith, and somewhat of a fabricator, so I just can't leave well enough alone. So basically, I want to be able to research what it is I can afford for what I want to do to know what I'll be able to do to it after the purchase. I can see that this will be no different than hot rods and motorcyles, plain jane factory stock will never cut it. What have I gotten my self into? (I already know, that was retorical).

So I'm not totally new to shooting, just new to shooting "good". I hunted when I was a kid, shot marksmen when I was in the Air Force (somehow) and have a Ruger 10 22 that I like to go out and shoot cans with. But I'm looking for more now. The first thing I'm doing is having the trigger press lightened. but from there, I'm not sure what I want. What I want is to shoot some distance. So my first question is, what kind of distance do most shooters shoot at with their 10 22s. I have some good property to shoot on, space isn't a problem, but what can I expect to be reasonable? 100yrds or more? I've got about $600 to spend on setting up the gun and would like to build a great target rifle out of it. So I'm not looking at "what parts should I buy" yet, but more of what is capable with the gun. Mark.

I know I've posted this a million times, but I have three words for you: Tech Sights, VQ Hammer & Bolt Kit & Appleseed!!! Okay, that's more than three words, but you get my point. Rather than go out and buy a new gun, for under $200 you can turn your good rifle into a great rifle and training tool that's affordable to shoot, AND receive a weekend's worth of first class training in how to use it.

Tech Sights are the greatest improvement you can make to a 10/22, IMO. 10/22s have terrible factory sights; Tech Sights are military style post & peep sights like you find on the M1, M14 and AR-15. They're super easy to install and fantastic for improving your shooting skills. I think they cost $55.

http://www.tech-sights.com/

The VQ Hammer and Bolt kit is an inexpensive and easy way to lighten your 10/22s trigger pull AND make the bolt release automatically (instead of having to fumble with the release button under the trigger guard). They're drop in parts, super easy to assemble, and the kit costs $35. It brought my 30 year old 10/22's trigger down to a smooth 3lbs.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productnumber=145851

Now that you have a new & improved 10/22 for under $100 (actually, use the extra $10 to get yourself a sling if you don't already have one), you need to learn to shoot the rifle (better). Enter Project Appleseed, the best rifle training for the dollar available. Sign up for their Patriot's Day training at Harvard, $70 for the weekend plus $10 worth of ammo, and you'll come away with a completely different perspective on shooting a rifle. If you can't make it to Harvard, they hold a shoot in the region every few months. For more information, see the link below, or check out the threads here on the Forum under Training --> Appleseed.

http://www.appleseedinfo.org/

Once you've completed the above three steps, I think you'll have a much better perspective on how you want to proceed with your firearms education. Maybe you'll want to buy a more expensive, full powered rifle. Maybe you want scoped bolt action, maybe you'll want an AR with modern optics or maybe you'll want a vintage military rifle with iron sights. But no matter what you pursue, you'll do it as a more skilled shooter.

Last edited:
Ballistic info. There are numerous sites for ballistic info on the web. If you Goggle a particular round you can find out a wealth of info. Also rifle reviews are posted all over the net on various sites that include pros and cons of the rifle.
Just a suggestion:

Dicks just had a 223 heavy barrel Remington 700 with a 3-9 scope on sale for $460. It also had the new trigger system Remington is using, heavy barrel and chambered for 223. Nice fat shooting round and is available in various projectile weights.
Saw it at the Concord show for $700 so its a steal.

Good luck and have fun.....

i shoot my 10/22 @ 100 yards no problem. i can get decent groups, sometimes holes touching each other. i what the OP describes as a "wanna be" sniper rifle thing going with it. it's great practice!

i also have a Savage 10FP that is "in progress" that I've shot up to 200 yards. it's in .223 and tons of fun.

i am now already planning / buying stuff for my .308 build.

like others stated, for $600, you could easily get a new or used savage 10 and maybe a nice scope on there to shoot 100+

Back
Top Bottom